Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The Incredible Shrinking Frunk

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think it makes sense (what others said about higher-end cars having a disadvantage).

I doubt I'd need that much space, the fact that I'd get any space at all in the frunk is a departure from all my previous cars including my current EV.

Reactions: newtman
Did you seriously just call AWD a "gimmick" or were you being facetious? I can't imagine anyone thinking AWD is some mere parlor trick with near zero value, regardless of what vehicle we're talking about.
Yes I did.
AWD is a very trendy gimmick right now, but it provides very little real world value for the vast majority of people. It is over-sold as being a cure-all, but it's not actually beneficial in almost any normal driving. And the rare situation where AWD would help, you'd be much better off with better tires instead, but most people with AWD ignore the better tires, and end up in a more dangerous situation because of over-confidence.

Whoah, this thread got weird. I love my dual motors more than my frunk, if that's what this turned into.. ? Take the whole frunk if that's what it takes.

This frunk redesign is excellent because it seems to finally provide a proper service panel, which will not only help handy owners down the road but also Tesla Service. So I'd bet this is going to be the way it goes for all cars, RWD and AWD.

On a side yet shocking note, did I just witness Mr. Tesla himself Bjørn do a 1-handed frunk close on that video ?!??! :eek:

I think the appearance of the frunk being smaller than the pre-facelift dual motor frunk is mostly an optical illusion caused by the movement of the weather stripping. Compare the two side by side.
upload_2016-4-26_12-2-20.png

Whoah, this thread got weird. I love my dual motors more than my frunk, if that's what this turned into.. ? Take the whole frunk if that's what it takes.
Personal preference, I love my frunk space, and have no use at all for AWD.

On a side yet shocking note, did I just witness Mr. Tesla himself Bjørn do a 1-handed frunk close on that video ?!??! :eek:
I was somewhat shocked at that one too!

Reactions: Kalud
I'm not sure if "gimmick" is the word I'd use for AWD. But I totally see where green1 is coming from.

I have 2 small kids. The rear facing seats were on my must have list. So not only do I not have that big empty cavity under the floor panel in the back (the seats are folded in there), I also don't want to pile too much stuff in the trunk on a regular basis, in case I want to use the rear seats. So this makes the large frunk extra valuable for me.

Also as for AWD, over the last 5 years my average speed has probably been around 24mph - carting kids around and commuting in the city. AWD just isn't gonna change my life for this car. Again, I live in a multi car household.

We can argue all day whether AWD or a larger frunk is more important. It comes down to what we each need (or thing we need) more. The problem is that Tesla doesn't give us a choice. You can't get the Model S with a large frunk any more. That's unfortunate.

Reactions: GHammer
Dual motor was not part of the original product plan in 2012, but they added it later after the market demanded it. This led to the Dual motor cars having significantly different chassis than the RWD cars, requiring separate crash testing.

what I've heard is that with the facelift Tesla was looking to rationalize the chassis. Dual motor was not going away so it was originally going to be that RWD was no longer going to be available. But they decided to make an entry level model by just making the AWD chassis with no front motor hardware installed.

So it's not possible to retrofit a larger frunk into a RWD facelift car.

I like my large P85+ frunk. I only use it a occasionally, but it's handy when you have a lot of stuff or the time we hauled patio bricks home and put 2/3 in the back and 1/3 in the front to distribute the load (tarps on both ends to prevent mess).

But by far the best use is having it open at midwest car shows. People look in the front, walk to the back (which is also open), then back to the front, and their brow just gets more and more furrowed until they have to ask where the motor is.

Reactions: David99 and MP3Mike
Well, unless you buy used there is no choice.

So let me make sure that I understand what Bjorn talked about in his video. He said the new 70D he showed in the video did not have the Bioweapon Defense Mode option. The current Model S configuration pages says that the HEPA filter and Bioweapon Defense Mode both come with the Premium Upgrades option, but that new 70D didn't have that option. So Bjorn's point is that now all Model S are being built with the space for the HEPA filter, and hence the smaller trunk, even if the car doesn't have the Permium Upgrades option items installed?

However, we still do not have proof that the 70 RWD car has the smaller frunk. Maybe it does, but I haven't seen anything posted about that.

I'm very used to the large frunk in my 85 RWD S. But I could certainly live without it in exchange for all the cool new features in the current production cars.
I have a 60S and smaller frunk delivered 3 weeks ago