Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The Investor's Dilemma: TSLA or Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

willow_hiller

Apr 3, 2019
Maryland
I know a lot of investors in the main thread have expressed regret about selling shares to finance a vehicle purchase. Given the impending FSD price increase, I have a slightly cheaper dilemma on my hands, but a dilemma nonetheless:

Would you sell shares to buy FSD?

In my situation, I know my SR+ will not be my last Tesla, so it's hard to justify the expense when it won't transfer...

I'm leaning no for that reason, and the fact that the SP will probably continue to grow at a rate that outpaces the price of FSD. But I'm interested in hearing other opinions.

With last week’s functionality, I was happy to have not paid for FSD. As of yesterday, I’m not really in that place any more. Part of what’s so amazing about a Tesla is driving the future. If I KNEW the FSD price wouldn’t go up again in the next 3-4 months, I could wait it out with the hope the share appreciation would cover the 25% price increase. But neither of those is a given. At a minimum, I’ll be *sorely* tempted for the next week.

Also, if it goes up to $12k or $15k, I’ll never get it. So this could be the last chance, barring a reasonable monthly subscription. Sure wish they’d announce the subscription rate.

Personally, I have the view that stocks are simply assets that are meant to be used. How you use them is up to you (retirement is the main concern people have), but that asset can be used to meet a requirement at any time--after all, it's not removing the reason you have the asset, just changing what it is used for. Need to buy a house? Reasonable to sell some shares. Need to buy a car? Reasonable to sell some shares. Need to buy FSD? Reasonable to sell some shares. They're your shares, you can value the reality of selling, vs the potential gains.

You may need to wait a bit longer to retire due to the selling of today, but, also, you may be dead in a year due to a driver running a red light, and your assets go to fund someone else's plans.

• Helpful
Reactions: willow_hiller
I know a lot of investors in the main thread have expressed regret about selling shares to finance a vehicle purchase. Given the impending FSD price increase, I have a slightly cheaper dilemma on my hands, but a dilemma nonetheless:

Would you sell shares to buy FSD?

In my situation, I know my SR+ will not be my last Tesla, so it's hard to justify the expense when it won't transfer...

I'm leaning no for that reason, and the fact that the SP will probably continue to grow at a rate that outpaces the price of FSD. But I'm interested in hearing other opinions.

I’m pretty much in the same predicament with my SR+. This would just be an expensive purchase without any immediate use, not now anyway with Snow already on the ground and my work from home schedule.

On the flip side I don’t have to sell any shares. I really wish we had a transferable option of some kind since I’m waiting to place an order for the 3 row Y as soon as the order page opens up.

I’m pretty much in the same predicament with my SR+. This would just be an expensive purchase without any immediate use, not now anyway with Snow already on the ground and my work from home schedule.

On the flip side I don’t have to sell any shares. I really wish we had a transferable option of some kind since I’m waiting to place an order for the 3 row Y as soon as the order page opens up.

To some extent, the market has answered this question for me. TSLA feels massively undervalued after Q2/Q3 records and FSD beta. I think my TSLA FOMO outweighs my FSD FOMO for the moment.

If shares weren't at stake for me, I think the best argument for FSD would be safety. If at some point FSD could prevent a collision that would injure me or my family, it would be worth the full $8k several times over. But I don't know if it's demonstrated that yet over and above what Autopilot is capable of. At the moment I'm willing to think of the $2k as an opportunity cost payment for the opportunity to wait and see how the beta goes.

Reactions: vikings123
I think the best argument for FSD would be safety. If at some point FSD could prevent a collision that would injure me or my family, it would be worth the full $8k several times over. But I don't know if it's demonstrated that yet over and above what Autopilot is capable of. At the moment I'm willing to think of the $2k as an opportunity cost payment for the opportunity to wait and see how the beta goes.

I don't have statistics to back this up - only anecdote. I've been in infrequent driving situations over the last couple of years where I felt that autopilot in my Model X was the better / safer driver than I was. All of these situations involved hard-to-see circumstances that might affect me more than average, but I believe would effect any/every driver to some important degree.

One involved daytime heavy rain + heavy water on the road driving, and dealing with the clouds / sheets of water being thrown up by other cars on the road. I was having trouble keeping track of the lane markers (freeway driving) while autopilot was rock solid.

The other, more common, involves nighttime driving on a state highway. Reasonably wide and well traveled state highway, but oncoming traffic would usually white out my vision down to the stripe on the outer edge of my lane. I drive this particular road reasonably often, and when the sun is down, I find myself relying more and more on my supervision of autopilot than on my own driving.

Those are both probably examples where the default driver assist in the car would do the lane keeping exactly as well, and thus are not necessarily arguments for paying for FSD (I don't know precisely what the default software will and won't do). These are, for me, reasons why I will pay for FSD regardless on the future Teslas we'll be buying in my household (I'm also more insensitive to the price than average as well - an argument in favor of not listening to me too much :D).

Worth noting as well - it's also my observation that the car doesn't see as far down the road as I do. So the benefits aren't entirely one sided - I do a better job of judging overtake rates on the freeway and deciding when to get out of the left lane and when to stay (or vice versa). Make that ahead and behind - I see farther. Hopefully that will change with the big new update coming along.