TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

The iPhone app

Discussion in 'Australia & New Zealand' started by Dborn, Aug 20, 2014.

1. Dborn

Dborn Confirmed

Well, now that some of us apparently have cars in transit, should we not be able to download the app? I can't find it on the app store and it is not on my dashboard. Any one with knowledge about this in the USA or Europe, please respond.

2. bollar

bollar Disgruntled Member

FWIW, it appears that it wasn't available in Hong Kong until a few days after the first deliveries. I'd look in that forum for more specifics.

3. salamagd

salamagd Member

If you have an US iTunes account you can install it and put in your Tesla account details, would be interesting to see when it's connected through to the car - might be a while before it's available in the Aus store, these things take a while to get approved.

4. galangg

galangg Member

Even if you could download it, I think the car comes with remote access off. Someone who has taken delivery can confirm?

5. Gabz

Gabz Member

I would says the cars don't have the sims installed. until they arrive.

6. markwj

markwj Moderator, Asia Pacific

For me, Remote Access started working about 6 hours after delivery. I was told to wait up to 48 hours.

I checked on delivery, and the Mobile Access was turned on. I guess it takes them some time (after delivery) to provision the car to your account.

It was weeks after deliveries first started in Hong Kong until the mobile App was available in the Hong Kong App store. I just used the US store (it is a free App, so that is trivial). That said, installing the App without a car provisioned to your account is completely useless - you can't get past the login screen.

7. galangg

galangg Member

Good point.

8. miimura

miimura Active Member

I wouldn't bet on that. The HK cars are using SIM from a European provider, data roaming in HK. So, SIM likely installed in the factory. As markwj said, there is some provisioning process in delivery that must be completed before the car is completely tied to your Tesla account.

9. Gabz

Gabz Member

anti terror laws sims aren't allowed to roam for extend periods of time. sim cards expire after 3 months of no usage. then bla bla prohibitory expensive to data roam in Australia.

10. kieranu

kieranu Member

#10 kieranu, Aug 21, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2014
    Not so sure on the first two points (first is completely erroneous and second varies so could be 6 months or longer depending on deal between Tesla and the carrier and you'd hope would take less than three months from factory to activation anyway) but it would very likely be prohibitively expensive to roam from an international carrier in Australia rather than just use Optus or Telstra

p.s. I suspect this would be installed and provisioned in Oz anyway as this would need to be a serviceable item

11. Afdyce

Afdyce Member

In the UK the app became available to download in the iTunes store within a day or two of the first customer cars being delivered. It doesn't show any information until after you collect your car from Tesla.