Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The IRS SUV flap is not a disaster. An overview - the IRA has other benefits.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's sad and possibly insidious that the VW id4 gets to be defined as an SUV but the Model Y and Mach E do not. The 3 are the primary North American SUVs and the path to rapid adoption of EVs in the US. The $7,500 credit through March will only help VW and Ford sell more id4s and stripped-down Mach Es at a loss on every one sold. Even with a credit, the VW has a negative software reputation that will drag on sales.

During the same period there will be a mad scramble to get delivery spots for Standard Range 3s and seven seat Ys before the rules change in March, and the credit goes away for the standard range 3 and the seven seat Y credit drops to $3,750.

What is being ignored is the IRA battery/battery pack credits of $35 and $10 respectively per kwh of batteries and packs made in the US. That $45 per kwh amounts to approximately $3,500 credit to Tesla for every long range 3 or Y. (Tesla by a long-ago contract gets all of Giga Nevada's joint Tesla/Panasonic credits.) IF there is any weakness in demand with a recession, Tesla could offer a $5,000 discount on every long range 3 and Y with no loss in gross margin on the cars. The long range 3 would be back in line for a credit and the standard range Y could be tweaked a bit more to get a credit with minimal options. A $60,000ish long range Model Y would be more competitive in a potential recession, especially with the Mach E decent models having no credits. Other Manufacturers do not benefit the same way because I'm sure that their battery manufacturing partners are unlikely to have made the same mistake as Panasonic.

If the SUV definition is resolved in the Model Y's and Mach E's favor all the better for everyone.

All in all, Tesla could be off to a very competitive start in 2023 before even considering reducing gross margins. They will have plenty of financial flexibility to ride out even a deep recession. It's important to remember that consumer tax credits do not help the manufacturer in an era of already high demand. Credits to a manufacturer help both the manufacturer and consumers with potential discounts.

Where did you read that? I don’t think these credits phase out like the previous tax credit did.
The battery material provision is due to kick in starting in March for which nobody is expected to be compliant with, at least initially.

And it’s not a flap. The IRS is using clearly defined criteria which the 5 seat Model Y doesn’t meet.

To be an SUV it has to meet one of the three:

One of them is if the vehicle has a third row of seats and if that third row folds to allow a bigger cargo area and still have two upright rows of seats. This is why the 7 seater qualifies.

Another is if it can off-road, which requires minimum ground clearance 7.8" along with specified approach, breakover, and departure angles.

The last is Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) of over 6,000 lbs, the weight of the car loaded to maximum weight capacity. The ID4 AWD has a rated GVWR of 6,063 lbs (https://www.vwidtalk.com/attachments/id4-vw-2022-specifications-pdf.11894/) so it just barely squeezes in over that limit.

We can complain all we want but the 5 seat isn’t really an SUV, it’s a tall hatchback at best. Most “SUV’s” aren’t really SUV’s either, these are all tall wagons and hatchbacks. The 7 seater lucks into being a van/suv even though it’s the same exact car.

Last edited:
The tax incentive won't 'pay' until people file their 2023 taxes in 2024. There's still time for the govt. to change the incentive. Including hybrids with gas engines but not a fully electric MY seems especially twisted. I expect it to change. (Well, unless the U.S. government truly has something against Tesla.)

And if it doesn't include the MY later on, I expect incentives to come from Tesla. Or an outright price reduction. But of course there will be no advance warning of such changes.

The _regular_ escape is 7.8" of ground clearance, So maybe due to some stupid wording Ford can say the Escape PHEV can qualify because the _model_ has sufficient ground clearance.
Can you post a link to a 2023 Escape of any model with 7.8" clearance?
By the logic you suggest, wouldn't Model Y 5-seat qualify because there exists Model Y 7-seat version?

The tax incentive won't 'pay' until people file their 2023 taxes in 2024. There's still time for the govt. to change the incentive. Including hybrids with gas engines but not a fully electric MY seems especially twisted. I expect it to change. (Well, unless the U.S. government truly has something against Tesla.)

And if it doesn't include the MY later on, I expect incentives to come from Tesla. Or an outright price reduction. But of course there will be no advance warning of such changes.
There likely won't be a significant price reduction if there's no competition. There are only a small number of EV SUVs that qualify for the credit.

Can you post a link to a 2023 Escape of any model with 7.8" clearance?
By the logic you suggest, wouldn't Model Y 5-seat qualify because there exists Model Y 7-seat version?
There's a couple random sites that quote 7.8", but I don't need to really find anything. The manufactures themselves submitted the info to the IRS, so if you disagree take it up with Ford and whatever they submitted. Without access to the submissions we don't know what Ford used as the rationale for qualifying.

The 5 and 7 seat Model Y are considered different models and the only reason the 7 qualifies is because of the 2 extra seats so removing those would make it no longer apply.

Well, okay.
First, I wasn't the one that said the ground clearance, that was ItsNotAboutTheMoney. Second, let me introduce you to this amazing resource called "google", where you can look for things yourself.

Again, the IRS is just reporting the qualifications the manufactures self reported. Unless there is a way to see what they reported, which I haven't seen yet, anything people are speculating about is just that. Ford declared the Escape meets the criteria so until more info is released there's nothing else anyone can do.