Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wow. That's a long way.

Will need to go through your blog when I have time. I've visited Japan 5x for fun. I've never very far north of Tokyo but my most recent trip took me was in late 2015 from Nagasaki to Nagoya then Tokyo, all via train, stopping at many places along the way to sightsee. I didn't see a single Tesla there. And, surprisingly to me, I saw VERY few EVs there, esp. compared to the SF Bay Area. (Besides the large of PHEVs and EVs at my work, more than once, have I been on there road and been one of 5 Leafs all within view of each other on the same side of the road.)

Had thought about going to Kumamoto but didn't go.

Reactions: hiroshiy
My trip to Hokkaido is completed, as is my blog post above.

You said "Nissan chargers are throttled for Tesla". Is it common practice for CHAdeMO?
~80km (20kW) for 1500yen (non-member) seems to be very expensive in terms of mpg?
Also it looks like you need to spend 30 min charging for every 80km?

Sorry for being negative. I really wanna buy a Model X (I have test drive tomorrow). I am just trying to clarify all the unknowns before my big ICE --> EV move :)

You said "Nissan chargers are throttled for Tesla". Is it common practice for CHAdeMO?
~80km (20kW) for 1500yen (non-member) seems to be very expensive in terms of mpg?
Also it looks like you need to spend 30 min charging for every 80km?

Sorry for being negative. I really wanna buy a Model X (I have test drive tomorrow). I am just trying to clarify all the unknowns before my big ICE --> EV move :)
Only Nissan branded tall chargers are throttled. They are usually installed at Nissan dealerships but there are some locations that have them. I would recommend avoiding those.

Yes if you solely rely on CHAdeMO chargers, after depleting 400km of battery, you will need to charge 30 minutes for 80-100km. When I travel more than 500km in one day with CHAdeMO only, I usually take 60 minute lunch/dinner break to charge one hour and then drive additiinal 200km. With Tesla I recommend you to use high power CHAdeMO chargers and Superchargers only.

With superchargers you will have like 90%-95% charge in one hour.

Reactions: JayInJapan
Thanks for the comments

Yes, I'll drive to Tokyo in a couple of weeks, taking several days. Planned overnights are Hiroshima, Kyoto, Ise, Yamanashi, Tokyo Disneyland Resort, and the center of town.

I also took a MX through Southern California last month. I just haven't written it up yet...

Reactions: Bebop
Thanks for the comments

Yes, I'll drive to Tokyo in a couple of weeks, taking several days. Planned overnights are Hiroshima, Kyoto, Ise, Yamanashi, Tokyo Disneyland Resort, and the center of town.

I also took a MX through Southern California last month. I just haven't written it up yet...
OH you are coming to Tokyo again? PM me and we could have a small Tesla party here if you have time. Never mind if you plan to enjoy your time with your family!

How (hard) is it renting a Tesla in Japan? Being from HK we are well travelled in Japan - and renting from Toyota alike is easy. However, just wanting to know other options. Obviously will not drive in Tokyo! (Tesla owner in HK too so know 90% of the whats and whatnots)
update: Dont worry, i found the other thread that shot me to anyca.net. That's a decent car sharing portal?

but ya, i wouldnt mind a tesla party when in japan/tokyo.
Should be in town the week of thanksgiving.

Last edited:
...Yes, I'll drive to Tokyo in a couple of weeks, taking several days...
I happen to be vacationing in Japan before I start my new job at Tesla, and it sounds like our paths may cross. I'll be watching Student Formula Japan, which is an engineering competition where university students design, build, and race formula-style cars every year, both gasoline and electric.

If you happen to pass through Shizuoka between Sept 5 - Sept 9 and want to meet up and watch some racing, you should check it out. It's at Shizuoka Stadium / ECOPA / Ogasayama Sports park (not sure what to call it, lol). Attendance is free!

Here's the Student Formula Japan site:
Team | Student Formula Japan

I happen to be vacationing in Japan before I start my new job at Tesla, and it sounds like our paths may cross. I'll be watching Student Formula Japan, which is an engineering competition where university students design, build, and race formula-style cars every year, both gasoline and electric.

If you happen to pass through Shizuoka between Sept 5 - Sept 9 and want to meet up and watch some racing, you should check it out. It's at Shizuoka Stadium / ECOPA / Ogasayama Sports park (not sure what to call it, lol). Attendance is free!

Here's the Student Formula Japan site:
Team | Student Formula Japan

Bummer, I'm driving through Shizuoka on the 10th, charging at the Hamamatsu SC. That day is the longest driving leg of the run to Tokyo, so I won't have any time for side trips. Your adventure sounds like fun, though. I'll try to catch it in the future. Have fun!