Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The Junior Programmers are at it again

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It used to be that when I crossed the border into USA and left my Units in metric, that US MPH speed limit signs were automatically translated to km/h. For instance a 50 MPH sign would display on the instrument panel as 80 km/h.

My Canadian Model S ( AP1 ) is currently at firmware level 17.14.23
Last Thursday I entered the US and the MPH signs did not translate while Units are set in metric mode. It was as if the car was still in Canada.
Switching to miles mode translated the 50 MPH sign to 30 MPH in the instrument panel display. WTF!

I talked to Tela assistance and the Technician was as perplexed as I was. He asked me to re-boot the main screen but same result. He promised to open up an "Incident".
Also during my travels in the US ( NY, PA, MD ) I noticed that speed limit signs on Interstates were not recognized. On secondary roads they were seen but interpreted wrong.
Back in Canada today, everything worked as intended.

How could these programmers screw up something that worked until now so badly. Have they no cognisance that Canada exists and that Canadian owners might travel to the USA?
Absolutely no field testing and quality control.

Autopilot seemed to know the correct speed limits and worked well. So it looks like that code is independent of the instrument panel display.

Have they no cognisance that Canada exists ..?

It's not out of the realm of possibility. :) Do you still get stuck with bars as the unit for tire pressure?

Also, Quebec might be the only place in the World with > 2,000 Teslas and no interface or navigation available in the predominant native language. Considering a French interface has been available to Europeans for over two years, Tesla is not overly in a hurry to adapt to the Canadian market.

• Informative
Reactions: Imafrog and Falkirk
Switch to metric, stay in the Paris Accord, get rid of the guns, lose some weight, open just one of a restaurant, use smaller cups, and for Gods sake I think we have enough episodes of NCIS.
And snap to it! I've had enough of this dilly-dallying. I mean it, don't make me come over there or I'll put you all in the naughty corner.

Regards, ShockOnT from Australia (England's naughty corner)

The real problem here is the Americans are using the Imperial system.

Switch to metric already! Embrace the rest of the world; it's not so bad after you get used to it. :cool:

We did switch. Kinda. I think it was 1975'ish. Military and medical, and most aerospace blueprints are in mm. The metric system was taught in schools for the changeover. Our scientific and engineering equipment is normally metric or dual-mode. Our cars have metric fasteners. Chemistry and science is always done in metric. Illegal drugs are even in metric.

Now if we could just convince Americans we switched over. :D

But... WTF is it with Excel and other apps that think angles should be measured in radians???? WTF is that about??? :mad:
Sorry, but the earth coordinates, a 30°, 45°, 90° angle exists not only in nature, but logically since 360° is easy to do in base10 math, meshes well with hours, and is divisible by everything but the kitchen sink.

SHOOT ANYBODY ON SIGHT WHO USES RADIANS IN THE REAL WORLD. :mad:

Reactions: mrElbe
03-castellano-ecuacion1.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: dasRad and mrElbe
As mentioned above....Canada is fully metric....

Except:

Height of humans/weight of humans
Lumber (2X4) (4X8 sheet of plywood, drywall)
Pipe (Electrical is 10' length, plumbing 12' length)
Diameter of almost everything (1/2" etc)
Real estate (3000 sq ft house on 2 acres)

...and I know EXACTLY what 63 degree feels like. I have to guess at what 17 degree C is....

Correction....Canada is not fully metric

Reactions: cwave1 and X Fan
As mentioned above....Canada is fully metric....

Except:

Height of humans/weight of humans
Lumber (2X4) (4X8 sheet of plywood, drywall)
Pipe (Electrical is 10' length, plumbing 12' length)
Diameter of almost everything (1/2" etc)
Real estate (3000 sq ft house on 2 acres)

...and I know EXACTLY what 63 degree feels like. I have to guess at what 17 degree C is....

Correction....Canada is not fully metric
The premier Football League which is in Canada, still uses Yards and not metres!
CFL!

Reactions: DMC-Orangeville
Switch to metric, stay in the Paris Accord, get rid of the guns, lose some weight, open just one of a restaurant, use smaller cups, and for Gods sake I think we have enough episodes of NCIS.
And snap to it! I've had enough of this dilly-dallying. I mean it, don't make me come over there or I'll put you all in the naughty corner.

Regards, ShockOnT from Australia (England's naughty corner)
I like NCIS especially the newer incarnation, NCIS New Orleans! Probably better than most of the garbage we see nightly during the Fall and Winter! I loved "JAG" the forerunner of the NCIS chain.

Metric has its place, but ... a 1 degree Celsius temperature difference in your home thermostat is too big a jump, which is why digital ones allow you to set to 1/2 degree increments, whereas a degree Fahrenheit is just the right amount. Volume measurements are easily understood in terms of pints, quarts and gallons. In Canada, when you buy baggies to store food in, they are like 324 ml, 534 ml, etc. Weight is messed up as well. An ounce is a useful measure of weight, whereas a gram is way too small for anything common. And then a kilogram is pretty big with nothing in common useage between a gram and a kilogram.

Metric should stay with scientists where it makes a lot of sense, but for us ordinary non-scientists, imperial measures are much more useful.