Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The K-Man Does China

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all, some already know I will be heading out to Chengdu, China next week. On my trip, I will also be visiting the Chengdu Tesla Store, Which is currently the Largest Tesla Store in the World. I will also be visiting some Chinese Superchargers (Unfortunately not with a Model S, as I cant seem to get Tesla-Asia, to respond to any of my communication attempts...).
I will be filming the China-Tesla experience for my youtube channel (As well as doing one of my Trip videos for the whole trip). A number of my YouTube viewers have put in some requests, in terms of questions they would like me to ask, or specific things or features they would like me to film.
So I thought, why not ask here! If anyone has a request, please post it, and I will do my best to fulfill it. Since very little is known about Tesla in China, and little is seen (As no YouTube, Facebook, Government limited Google and Yahoo etc...) not much has been shown outside China itself.
I will have a Chinese "Tour Guide", so she will be able to translate questions for me.
As I could not get successful contact with Tesla-Asia's management, I will attempt to "procure" a car for a few hours, either with or without a T-Employee accompanying us. As my friends Father will be along for the ride. He wants to see what all the Tesla Fuss is about, and I am going to try to make him a "Convert" from his Volvo.....

Cheers!

Since very little is known about Tesla in China, and little is seen (As no YouTube, Facebook, Government limited Google and Yahoo etc...) not much has been shown outside China itself.
I find the autohome tesla board to be a great source of Tesla China information.

¡¾Í¼¡¿MODEL SÂÛ̳_MODEL S³µÓÑ»á_Æû³µÖ®¼Ò

And search for 特斯拉 (=Tesla) in google news for media articles.
e.g first interview today with new Tesla China president: ÌØ˹À*ÖйúÐÂ˧£ºÕþ¸®¹ØϵÊÇ2015Ä깤×÷Öصã|ÌØ˹À*|Öйú_ÐÂÀ˲ƾ*_ÐÂÀËÍø
(They say government relations will be the top focus in 2015)

I find the autohome tesla board to be a great source of Tesla China information.

¡¾Í¼¡¿MODEL SÂÛ̳_MODEL S³µÓÑ»á_Æû³µÖ®¼Ò

And search for 特斯拉 (=Tesla) in google news for media articles.
e.g first interview today with new Tesla China president: ÌØ˹À*ÖйúÐÂ˧£ºÕþ¸®¹ØϵÊÇ2015Ä깤×÷Öصã|ÌØ˹À*|Öйú_ÐÂÀ˲ƾ*_ÐÂÀËÍø
(They say government relations will be the top focus in 2015)
Thanks for that. My idea with questions and what not, is for those who don't speak Chinese. A lot of people (And yours truly) would like to see how operations differ in another country, especially one as "closed off" in some respects as China. I have googled for media articles, but as usual, they give the Media spin, and use lots of stock information and photos. I'm going to try as in-depth as possible while hauling my two midgets with me :)

Hello all, some already know I will be heading out to Chengdu, China next week. On my trip, I will also be visiting the Chengdu Tesla Store, Which is currently the Largest Tesla Store in the World. I will also be visiting some Chinese Superchargers (Unfortunately not with a Model S, as I cant seem to get Tesla-Asia, to respond to any of my communication attempts...).
I will be filming the China-Tesla experience for my youtube channel (As well as doing one of my Trip videos for the whole trip). A number of my YouTube viewers have put in some requests, in terms of questions they would like me to ask, or specific things or features they would like me to film.
So I thought, why not ask here! If anyone has a request, please post it, and I will do my best to fulfill it. Since very little is known about Tesla in China, and little is seen (As no YouTube, Facebook, Government limited Google and Yahoo etc...) not much has been shown outside China itself.
I will have a Chinese "Tour Guide", so she will be able to translate questions for me.
As I could not get successful contact with Tesla-Asia's management, I will attempt to "procure" a car for a few hours, either with or without a T-Employee accompanying us. As my friends Father will be along for the ride. He wants to see what all the Tesla Fuss is about, and I am going to try to make him a "Convert" from his Volvo.....

Cheers!
Please update us with some good visuals. Good luck with getting a Tesla.

Please update us with some good visuals. Good luck with getting a Tesla.
Will do. If anything, i'd like to get a Model S for about 30 minutes. I want to cover the store, and I want to hit up a supercharger. Chengdu has THREE, yes thats right, THREE DIFFERENT supercharger locations just in a single city. I want to take the car to one of those locations, then bring it back. More Tesla Communication issues though, as I am not getting any responses back from anyone in the Asia or even USA Media email addresses. And the store doesnt have a public email address, so once I get to China, we will call the store (my friend will, as she speaks Chinese and I don't...).

I'm also hoping to hit up the Badu Narrow Gauge Steam trains, as I do a lot of Historical Train work :)

Verify that your insurance is valid in China - perhaps get a letter stating so. That may help in getting a car. I suspect, however, that test drives are in limited areas & you may not be able to just take it to visit different superchargers.

Even though you've said there isn't much known about China, several of us have visited Tesla stores there & posted photos and other info here on the forum. It's not a closed society :). In fact, as I like to point out to a very conservative sibling, it's easier to buy an American-made Tesla in China than in Texas. ("Chew on that, little brother!")

The Beijing store doesn't have cars at the store available for test drives. You need to make an appointment and (as of last summer, anyway) head over to the airport and take it there. It's very possible that Chengdu has the same setup.

Note - If you want to be able to use some of your social media accounts, make sure you have a few different VPN services loaded before entering the country. My guide was astounded to see me on facebook during the three weeks I was there. I had no problems IF I was using an unblocked VPN (that's why you need more than one, btw - rolling blackouts on diff ones). Without being on a VPN, I was limited.

Have fun. It's an amazing country. Hopefully you get time out of the cities and out to the countryside for some hiking or just visiting local villages. That's where the air is clean, people aren't quite so packed together, and you experience a side you cannot get in the urban areas.

Verify that your insurance is valid in China - perhaps get a letter stating so. That may help in getting a car. I suspect, however, that test drives are in limited areas & you may not be able to just take it to visit different superchargers.

Even though you've said there isn't much known about China, several of us have visited Tesla stores there & posted photos and other info here on the forum. It's not a closed society :). In fact, as I like to point out to a very conservative sibling, it's easier to buy an American-made Tesla in China than in Texas. ("Chew on that, little brother!")

The Beijing store doesn't have cars at the store available for test drives. You need to make an appointment and (as of last summer, anyway) head over to the airport and take it there. It's very possible that Chengdu has the same setup.

Note - If you want to be able to use some of your social media accounts, make sure you have a few different VPN services loaded before entering the country. My guide was astounded to see me on facebook during the three weeks I was there. I had no problems IF I was using an unblocked VPN (that's why you need more than one, btw - rolling blackouts on diff ones). Without being on a VPN, I was limited.

Have fun. It's an amazing country. Hopefully you get time out of the cities and out to the countryside for some hiking or just visiting local villages. That's where the air is clean, people aren't quite so packed together, and you experience a side you cannot get in the urban areas.
Not necessarily insurance issue, it's no Chinese drivers license issue. I could get a 30 day temp, but the cost to do so, and, needing to return to the Chengdu airport and waste a few hours with to lil guys with me, is prohibitive for a 2 week stay.
I leave Tuesday Morning, so no point in trying any more to get in contact until I get to China. The store is close to the Airport, and the closest supercharger is about 1 mile away. I take that back, the store does have a supercharger, but, well, thats not as fun :)

Yes, it is easier to get a car in China then here haha.
Ironic though, I was at Highland Park a few weeks back charging to get to Detroit. A Chinese woman came in, while on the phone with (I think) Family (Maybe friends) who were in China. The Family in China was refusing to order a Tesla from the Chinese store. They wanted to have her purchase it in the USA, then ship it/Export the USA car to China. She said it was because they thought the car they would get if they ordered in China would be of inferior (She literally said) Chinese Quality then if they got a USA car. I (and everyone in the store) did our best to try and convince her that it's the same quality, American built car. Also, that the USA ordered cars would not charge in China (At least, not properly, and definitely not supercharge) without much hassle and headaches due to different standard of power connections etc... bla bla bla... Couldn't grasp the concept no matter what and still wanted to order..... Oh well, expensive lesson will be learned....

I have Onavo my iPhone and the midgets iPad. It seems to work good (Company is owned by face book), and good data speeds. I also have Hotspot shield loaded, but did not care for it as much, but it will be a backup.
I am getting VPNUnlimited VPN Unlimited - Encrypted, Secure & Private Internet Connection for Anonymous Web Surfing for my computers. They have a deal going, 3 years service for $20.

I dont use Facebook much. But I NEED to access eBay. I have a online scooter parts business, and to maintain my seller rating, I need to print the shipping labels within 24 hours (I will be bringing my label printer with me), and yes, I will have each listing stating boldly that shipping will be delayed until I return. But better print the labels each night a few at a time, then return and having 400-500 waiting... which would take me days to sort and do.... I have Onavo installed on the ipad and it has no daily data transfer limit, and its free. I tested netflix locally with it, and seems to work, so if we can have Netflix on the ipad while there, that will make things sooo much easier with the midgets at night. And of course, YouTube so I can upload some shorter videos during the trip, then edit up and post the BIG ones when we return.
What VPN's are you Privy to? I personally, would MUCH prefer to VPN to my home network, but my home internet is slow (2mbit down 1 mbit up) and wouldnt handle much of anything other then browsing without serious slow downs, and I don't want to leave my power hungry desktop running (this things a beast!, 6 HD's totaling about 15 terabytes, 16 gigs ram, 2 Add on PCI USB 3.0 cards, dual video cars for video rendering (I'm slowly improving my editing skills) and a 2.8ghz quad core i7 overclocked to 3.8Ghz). I'd like a hardware VPN in the future, but they all seem so expensive unless anyone here can recommend a low cost one that I can plug in.

We will actually be staying in Dujianyan. Home of the Dujianyan irrigation system, which is over 3,000 years old and still in use. Lots of history, and tourist attractions. Not sure where we will be visiting yet, that will be up to my host. I do forsee lots of walking...... And then more walking.... Wherever we go, will need to be stroller friendly for my vinny. Or at least, stroller manageable. I've gotten good at pushing my 7 year old around :) My 4 year old is good. He likes walking. Will just need to see where we end up. Lucking out, as the weather will be warming up just as we arrive. it's been in the high 40's low 50's for the last few weeks, but forcast looks like mid 60's and MIGHT hit 70 for a few hours beginning of next week. That would be awesome and just in time for Chinese New Year!