Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The Key Fob

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The "Car" Shaped Key Fob

I thought it was really neat that the key fob for the Model S is a little car. Elon talked about pushing different areas on the fob to make the doors, trunk and frunk open.
Can anyone comment on what the fob can do? Does it have a "Panic" button for "get away from my S"?

From Twitter:

Untitled.jpg

I'm concerned that the bulbous shape of the keyfob will lead to accidental presses when they are in my jeans pocket. Since it doesn't have slightly recessed or flush mount buttons like most other cars, it would be easy put pressure on a piece of the keyfob when you sitdown.

I'm concerned that the bulbous shape of the keyfob will lead to accidental presses when they are in my jeans pocket. Since it doesn't have slightly recessed or flush mount buttons like most other cars, it would be easy put pressure on a piece of the keyfob when you sitdown.

The Prius' fob will cause the panic alarm to go off when I bend over, so if that happens, it won't be any different.

If you get the tech package, there will be the Homelink "button" which can be set to open the doors, there are typically at least three "buttons". Or you could get locks that open with your fingerprints. They have some quite good ones now that aren't particularly expensive.

It didn't look like there was a place to attach a key-ring. Maybe it pops out, is recessed, or I just didn't see it. I wish they could come up with a credit card fob that could be placed in a wallet. Still, the Model S fob looks pretty cool!

The bottom of the key, (under the rear bumper, if you will), has a cutout that will fit a standard key ring, or you can attach a chain. It is pretty small and light, and is not as easy as you might think to accidentally press the buttons. Here is a picture...

IMG_1230.JPG