Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The Key Fob

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
how to remove the Key FOB's old battery

For three days now I've gotten a message of "Key not in car" when I attempt to drive.
My wife had the exact same issue Monday, but the screen would also sometimes say that the battery was low. Tesla mailed her a new battery after first offering to bring the car in, but that is a chore.

This brought up a new problem. Replacing the battery. Easy to flip the the cover exposing the battery, BUT now try to get the battery out! I looked through the manual and did not see any diagrams. I felt I failed my wife as the MAN who could, duhn duh dah (cue Superman music) change the battery. She took it to the (closer than the local service center) Tesla showroom and they too were baffled and had to call in for instructions.
Sooooo.... does anyone have the 'trick' (diagrams) on how to remove the old battery once you have the cover off? :confused:

- - - Updated - - -

I've seen the "no key" message a couple of times, and for me it's 100% correlated with having my fob in the same pocket as my phone (iPhone5), and in particular, when it's in my left pocket. The way things settle in my pocket, the fob is usually behind the phone and its aluminum back, so the phone might block the path
Thanx for that great tip. I'll ask her / caution her about the same issue within her purse.

This brought up a new problem. Replacing the battery. Easy to flip the the cover exposing the battery, BUT now try to get the battery out! I looked through the manual and did not see any diagrams. I felt I failed my wife as the MAN who could, duhn duh dah (cue Superman music) change the battery. She took it to the (closer than the local service center) Tesla showroom and they too were baffled and had to call in for instructions.
Sooooo.... does anyone have the 'trick' (diagrams) on how to remove the old battery once you have the cover off? :confused:

I see what you mean, but it's actually not too difficult except that you can't do it with just your fingers unless maybe if you have long nails. You need a small stick-like object. For instance, I was able to use the pocket clip portion of the cap from a standard Bic pen. There is a small hole above the battery, towards the nose-end of the fob. Insert the stick thing there and push down against the edge of the battery. It's held by a flat "spring" on the opposite side which will give and pop the battery up & out.

It's easy enough to reinsert the battery with just your fingers.