TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

"The key should match the color of the car..."

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by highfalutintodd, Jun 27, 2013.

1. highfalutintodd

"The key should match the color of the car..."

I've shown the car to dozens of people in the last month-and-a-half. At least five people have made this comment to me when I show them the key. It's the only "flaw" that anyone has been able to point out after experiencing the car. Maybe color-matched keys would have gotten Tesla to an even 100 in Consumer Reports' road test. ;-)

2. spatterso911

spatterso911 MSP#7577 **--** MX#1891

My key does match the color of my car...

3. JerryNycom

JerryNycom Member

Was waiting for that.....Only a matter of time.....

4. mitch672

mitch672 Active Member

First thought "The carpet should match the drapes" :)

Seriously though, I think for the Gen3, with a much larger production run planned, they could certainly use different color plastics on the injection molder that makes the keyfobs, but it's just an extra inventory expense and logistics issue right now. I'm not sure it adds value either. As a owner my feeling is "sure, nice", as a stockholder, I'd rather they put the money/energy into fixing the vampire power draw, and engineering a Chademo adapter, you know, things that will enhance the Model S in a meaningful way.

5. iconoclast

iconoclast Member

Artistic handling of one of the paint touch-up pens that Tesla sells might get you something close.

6. alexkiritz

alexkiritz Member

Well, that would certainly make my job stealing cars from valet stands easier.

7. raptorweb

raptorweb Member

Mine does also ... Fun with FOB/Wrap

8. pilotSteve

pilotSteve Member

well now that the fob cover top broke off, showing the orange ring around the button, its closer to matching my Red then before.....

9. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

Not sure if it was originally, but I remember it being bandied about along with the hpwc color matching. I like the black though. Very low key.

10. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

As many fobs end up in thumb drive cases, it' doesn't really matter that much.