Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The lengths some will go to...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wouldn't the $2 million be better spent on environmental or other programs that are being defunded by the Administration? Especially at the local level where the money will have a direct impact on those who live in or nearby his community? Maybe $2 million is chump change for him and he feels he can blow it on some feel-good vanity ads, but wouldn't it make him feel better to actually use the money to help those who now face the prospect of losing part of their safety net? Even if he succeeds in getting Musk to quit the advisory council, how will that help improve the Administration's environmental policy? Quitting is just giving up on trying to effect change, however remote the probability of success may be. If he feels his money is more effectively spent protesting corporate policy, why not campaign against GM and other carmarkers who are actively lobbying the Administration to ease or roll back EPA regulations rather than against the one company whose mission statement is to promote sustainable transport and energy production and storage?

Last edited:
Wouldn't the $2 million be better spent on environmental or other programs that are being defunded by the Administration? Especially at the local level where the money will have a direct impact on those who live in or nearby his community? Maybe $2 million is chump change for him and those in his social circle, but it would to a lot of good for those who work for or serve him who now face the prospect of losing part of their safety net. Even if he succeeds in getting Musk to quit the advisory council, how will that help improve the Administration's environmental policy? Quitting is just giving up on trying to effect change, however remote the probability of success may be. If he feels his money is more effectively spent protesting corporate policy, why not campaign against GM and other carmarkers who are actively lobbying the Administration to ease or roll back EPA regulations rather than against the one company whose mission statement is to promote sustainable transport and energy production and storage?

I was very upset with Musk in the beginning when I perceived that he was legitimizing the So Called President. I considered cancelling my TM3 reservation as a result. However, it is well reasoned viewpoints like yours that have made me reconsider my position.I will always RESIST the So Called President by purchasing a Tesla, participating in demonstrations, and writing my legislators is the best way to stick it to the So Called President.

I support the guy in San Francisco but perhaps his money could be spent in more proactive ways. Anyway, I feel his frustration.

Thanks for your post, you make a lot of sense.

• Disagree
Reactions: James Anders
While I may not agree with his demand and soapbox, I don't need to, disagreement elevates our realm. All good. What's troublesome is this is more akin to a tantrum than a well plotted and crafted effort to achieve a goal which I would respect, even while disagreeing with the goal itself. Principles have a strange way of spending money, especially other peoples money.

Reactions: M0DEL³
I don't think it serves anyone's best interests to attack Tesla over Elon being on the Trump advisory board he is on. For someone who supports the Tesla mission, the only remotely reasonable way to spend 2 million dollars to get Elon to "dump Trump" is to just straight up offer 2 million dollars to Tesla (or to a chartable cause consistent with Tesla's mission) in exchange for Elon leaving the Trump advisory board. Though as big as Tesla is now, I don't think 2 million dollars has sufficient persuasive force to make it happen. Or maybe just a campaign to try to convince supporters to ask Elon to "dump Trump".

Financial attacks might be potentially persuasive, but they also hurt the mission. It's counterproductive. I would urge Derwin to revise his strategy.

Reactions: M0DEL³ and ChadS
If elon is really in this to save the planet, he should be funding strong liberal candidates with his massive wealth, not legitimizing a con man.

Trump is the most anti-environment president we've ever had. Republicans in general care more about their own wallets than the future of the species. Repubs have plenty of greedy rich sociopaths funding any candidate who will protect polluters' profits. Elon should be doing the same for the dems.

Personally, I think Elon is doing the right thing by working from the inside to effect a policy shift.

I just wish the mobile billboards this guy hired were electric. :rolleyes:

...what, you mean hiring a diesel billboard truck to take your anti-Elon message is not le eco?

That said, someone really should hire diesel truck billboards to remind Elon about all his over-promises. ;)

If elon is really in this to save the planet, he should be funding strong liberal candidates with his massive wealth, not legitimizing a con man.

Trump is the most anti-environment president we've ever had. Republicans in general care more about their own wallets than the future of the species. Repubs have plenty of greedy rich sociopaths funding any candidate who will protect polluters' profits. Elon should be doing the same for the dems.

I've floated the idea before, but what ig Elon's politics are not quite as liberal as some think. After all he and Thiel...

Just thinking out loud.

Just a guess, but I would not be surprised if Musk has decided the success of Tesla and the disruption of the Age of Oil will happen no matter who (or what) is sitting in the Oval Office. It's a "first principles" thing. And to the extent that sitting down with, or near our Clown in Chief helps Tesla achieve those goals sooner, then sure. Why not? Bigger fish are frying than worrying about toupeed toddlers with their fingers on the....
Oh. Wait.
Robin

• Funny
Reactions: S3XY