Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The little things that I have noticed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

davidmc

May 20, 2019
Leicester
The software engineers at tesla have a great eye for detail at 2 little things I noticed while driving in AP:

1. When it rains your car will stay further back behind the car Infront on a motorway/dual carriageway. I have mine set to 3 and noticed this a few times now in heavy rain and it sits further back when travelling at 50 to 70mph

2. If you are in the far left hand lane your car will not undertake a car on your right on a motorway/dual carriageway. You can over ride this by tapping the accelerator and it will speed up to its setting if no car Infront.

Genius!

Reactions: jimbo_hippo
2. If you are in the far left hand lane your car will not undertake a car on your right on a motorway/dual carriageway. You can over ride this by tapping the accelerator and it will speed up to its setting if no car Infront.

I noticed this and like but wasn't aware it was just far left lane.

I also noticed that it can however make car a bit nervous if the car to its right has pulled over to continue on motorway, but left lane eventually turns off. I'm sure this caused the car to otherwise lightly 'phantom' brake on one occasion.

Agreed!

On the other hand my M3 was steadfast in the very centre of my lane and made no attempt to give the car on my left some space who was right up to the line avoiding standing water Nearly side swiped the thing. :eek: . The cars got ultrasound, wish it would use it!

I think you were expecting too much for it to do that. It will likely be years before it can match human levels of experience and anticipation.

Genius!
Thanks I actually requested and suggested this about a year ago and was very happy when it was added. Before then it would just undertake the other car which was very annoying!

Reactions: davidmc
In stop/start traffic I wish it would:

a. leave a smaller gap from the car in front
b. move off a little quicker

Given the suggestion it is tracking the cars two or more in front by radar you'd think it would be more ready than it is. I'd like to see it start to move sooner so that its acceleration can be gentler. However this probably wouldn't be helped by it being closer to the car in front when stationary.