Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The longest EV charging network in West Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Techno-phile

S100D, P3D- in garage
Nov 13, 2014
Perth, Australia
The WA State government announced today that it will build a DC charging network from Kununurra to Esperance for $21m. This appears to conform to the report issued by UWA a couple of years ago to build such a network on all Main roads in WA for $23.6m. Except the Great Northern Highway, the Nullarbor east of Norseman and the direct route to Esperance are excluded, which explains the cost reduction.
Fortunately AEVA already have the Perth to Esperance route covered (at least Lake Grace and Ravensthorpe), and Jon Edwards has put up his hand to complete the Nullarbor (at least on the WA side).
Media Statements - New strategy to power electric vehicles in Western Australia
Thanks to Thomas Bräunl of UWA for his consistent support of EV charging infrastructure and to all those who have campaigned for his report to be accepted by the State. Our idea in the State's Ithink campaign received easily the most votes.
Ithink final votes.jpg

Given the success of places like Flinders Island hybrid power station, population circa 800, you would think a similar system at the major towns along the Nullarbor would make sense and the battery power would allow for DC fast chargers at the same time.
The Flinders Island power station was covered in an ABC documentary last week on the grid of the future:

It was pretty interesting and I assume will be on iView for a while.

• Helpful
Reactions: moa999 and Hairyman
We are trying to get the State to add Balladonia and Cocklebiddy to the "longest highway", by offering two BioFil 50kW chargers for $100,000 each.
Great move! How receptive do you think they'll be?

It may be challenge purely due to government legalese and process.

e.g.
- the current project probably has a documented scope, terms of reference, contract etc. these units would be outside that scope.
- governments wants a single operator, consistent end-user cost for the entire network
- single 50 kW units would not align with the rest of the network (2x stalls per site)
- user interface for the BioFil units is different - startup of the generator, etc.
- max capacity 6 vehicles/week average (obviously higher capacity for "storage" so capable of handling peak demand)

Don't get me wrong, the BioFil pods are absolutely fantastic setups and would be perfect, but I don't know if the government would make it easy for them to be included.

Is there an alternate funding source (grants, etc) available, which could fund these?

Maybe ARENA? Their Future Fuels Round 2 will be targetted at regional areas. But if it's anything like Round 1, they'll want to split each state between a small number of recipients. Not a lot of scope for just doing a couple of sites. And they may insist on 2x stalls per site, like Round 1. Maybe it won't be anything like Round 1 though - could be worth having a conversation with someone at ARENA just in case. In a recent video they solicited feedback at the email address futurefuels@[their domain] to discuss.

Reactions: Hairyman
Thanks for posting here, I neglected to do so! I think this is the first specific site identified. No info as to capacity or stalls yet. They've asked for 5 parking spaces, although this is not necessarily 1:1 with charging bays, some might be taken with charging equipment.

The tender documents have gone out for this:

It appears to include 40 AC stations and 52 DC stations (including 50, 75 and 150 kW stations)

Fairly disappointing as I would have thought 2x DC would be the minimum for a remote route like this.

I just read this. Annoyed me they didn’t mention TOCA at all.
Yeah, I didn't notice that when I first read it... but no mention of TOCA, TOCWA, AEVA or even a link to the crowdfunder.

No mention of the previous 3-phase network that has been used the last few years, which was funded by the same organisations.

It's a pretty thorough article, but that side of it was completely omitted...

This is a great image created by Harald (@Murbs) from TOCWA and was shown on a TOCWA live chat a few weeks ago.

The table in the centre is sourced from the governments tender documents. It shows which types of chargers are to be delivered to which regions. It's safe to assume that, e.g. units delivered to Kununurra are to be used at sites in that region.

The map (note - WITHOUT the numbers) is sourced from the WA government's website and shows the locations of the sites in the network.

What Harald has done is taking the known info of number of charging units, and the known info of site locations, and speculated the allocation of charging units of various speed to the sites. (these are the numbers spread around the map)

DxJo0Am.png

Note:
  • It includes the distribution of 50, 75 and 150 kW units.
  • The assumption is the the blue area (Synergy grid area) 100% aligns to the Perth line in the table, and that every one of these locations will have a 150 kW unit. (there are 21 locations marked and 24x 150 kW units, 3x 75 kW units in the table, so lets just assume all sites will get at least one 150 kW and some of the busier sites will get additional units)
  • The 7 kW and 22 kW units are ignored for now, I guess these will be at the same sites but secondary/backup units.

I think Harald has looked at the locations which are likely to have poor electrical capacity such as the roadhouses and put the 50 kW sites there, with the 150 kW sites being more likely at the larger towns. Any further reasoning behind the allocation I'm going to defer to his superior local knowledge!

Again, this is speculative, and I think the best case scenario based on the info available. I guess there is a fear that it could be worse (e.g. the roadhouses only having 22 kW charging)

Many people think that a single 50 kW is too slow for a network like this but lots of these sites are SAPS (off grid) and simply don't have the capacity for anything higher. Most long range (400+ km) EVs will be able to do a long drive (say Perth to Kununurra) with 80-90% of the charging being at 150 kW sites, and only a couple of 50 kW charges being necessary. Easily mitigated by aligning longer stops (lunch or overnight) at the slower locations.

Interesting article on Kalbarri, which is on the edge of the grid network shown in the map above (and far more populated and visited than the Nullarbor).
$15m cost

• Informative
Reactions: Hairyman