Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The longest service/repair ever...need advice

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i am a bit on the fence with this one. if you buy a loaner car, you should expect some things wrong with it, including chips and scratches and dings. it is a used car, hence the better price. so the fact they are going to fix everything including the scratches 'and take care of it' in my opinion goes above and beyond, in an attempt to satisfy the customer. hence, like in any give and take relationship, them having the car for an extended period while not ideal, could be tolerable.
however, if the car was brand spanking new, i think some frustration for such a long delay would be truly justifiable. a loaner car, is still not your car, and putting 'miles and wear and tear' on someone elses car is less important to me personally than driving MY car.

kinda like when i priceline to get a cheaper four or five star hotel, i expect to get the room overlooking the parking lot, and cannot really complain about it. :tongue:

Who buys a used, discounted demo car then expects the dealer to make it look like a new car. It's a used car.
Dealers will get a demo looking new before selling it. Scratches or door dings are always fixed before sending it out the door.

I am surprised the service center didn't just say it's a used car and send you on your way.
Really? You buy a Tesla sight unseen. It shows up with damage and he's not supposed to have any recourse?

Tesla made (the defective) car. Tesla sold the car. Tesla recommended body shop. Telsa is responsible for the work of body shop they recommend. It's Tesla's issue until it's resolved. And yes, the buyer has every reason to be angry for a car sitting in the shop two months--period!

It amazing me how people defend Tesla--but hey, the kool aid tastes great! I drank it.

Anyways, let's see how patient you are if your new car arrives and sits in shop for two months.

Congrats BTW.
Paint chips on a car that's been test driven multiple times is not a defect.

My take.

You bought a demo -- for A LOT less than what the rest of us paid for a brand new Model S. So, you should expect that the car is functional and in good shape. Cosmetic defects are what you get with a demo/loaner/floor model. You can suck that one up.

For the functional parts that are defective, you should expect Tesla to fix those unless the conditions of the sale were "as is" and if for some reason the warranty on the demo car were different from the warranties that the rest of us have.

If you have a loaner P85, why all the fuss? I could see some small gripe if you got a back P85 with grey 21s and your loaner is a white P85 with 19 inch wheels you might not be getting your ideal car, but you'd still have a fabulous loaner that you are probably driving less cautiously and conservatively than you would your own.

If you're driving a loaner Camry, then I could see why you'd be fussing.

Enjoy your equivalent loaner while you have it!

OP here...checking back in to clarify a few things. First, I didn't plan to buy a demo car. I was putting in an order for a new car and the salesperson is DC said there were inventory demo cars that might be configured similarly for sale. She scanned Tesla's "private" list and found this incredible deal car. She told me that even though the car was a demo it would be "exactly like new" when it showed up including the paint job. She said that "Tesla has a reputation to uphold" and that they would not sell a scratched car. Again, Tesla guaranteed no scratches. I'm not trying to cause problems or seem spoiled here. I just expected the car in the condition they promised.

I am picking up the car tomorrow and the Regional Manager called to say he saw the car today and it looks perfect. I guess we'll see.

One additional point...the "paint chips" and scratches I mentioned were 4 places where the paint was missing down to the bare metal. This wasn't an issue of someone just buffing out a few spots.

OP here...checking back in to clarify a few things. First, I didn't plan to buy a demo car. I was putting in an order for a new car and the salesperson is DC said there were inventory demo cars that might be configured similarly for sale. She scanned Tesla's "private" list and found this incredible deal car. She told me that even though the car was a demo it would be "exactly like new" when it showed up including the paint job. She said that "Tesla has a reputation to uphold" and that they would not sell a scratched car. Again, Tesla guaranteed no scratches. I'm not trying to cause problems or seem spoiled here. I just expected the car in the condition they promised.

I am picking up the car tomorrow and the Regional Manager called to say he saw the car today and it looks perfect. I guess we'll see.

One additional point...the "paint chips" and scratches I mentioned were 4 places where the paint was missing down to the bare metal. This wasn't an issue of someone just buffing out a few spots.

I'll just say it again--you are a patient person.

Sounds like it all worked out. Got a great deal and got to drive around a loaner Model S for awhile which isn't bad either. Hope it looks like new.

The loaners don't come with HOV stickers, which would then result in an extra 60 mins of driving daily for me. No thanks, I prefer my car with the stickers.

Good point. Not an issue for me, so I hadn't considered that.

Here in Ontario, EV's can get a special "Green" license plate (no extra cost) and that's all you need to get in the HOV lanes. Beats putting stickers on the car IMHO!

I still say that for Telsa to even consider giving you the demo car in a condition other run "as is" is an amazing feature of their service. You were not satisfied with its condition and they are fixing it for you free of charge. AND you got a 20,000 dollar damn discount. I say count your blessing and sing Tesla's praises, trying to remember if you can how car dealers usually will treat you. You're free to express your negative opinions here as always, but honestly with the data you've presented, I see only positive interaction with Tesla.

Sincerely, a fanboy

I think the OP is justified in his frustration. It is nice of Tesla to have P85 loaners, but if his facts are correct, the time in service is unnacceptable. The loaners merely help smooth things over when the service is lacking. I took delivery of a brand new P85 in March and it has been for service for 1.5 months in total (it is in for service right now!) I have put 2300 miles on loaners. The first service also involved paint issues on the hood (remember, it was a new car) and they also made it much worse trying to fix it. Twice. This was before the P85 loaner program so I was driving an Altima. For all subsequent visits I have been given a P85. However, I would still rather put the miles on my own car. When you drive a loaner you:
1. Can't use HOV stickers (a big issue for some, including me)
2. Can't use any accessories that you added (I hardwired a radar detector and a dashcam)
3. Can't use the phone app
4. Don't get a 2nd keyfob
5. Get inconsistent jump-seat configuration. I don't want the jumpseats and they take up storage space that I often use. Others may need the seats but some loaners don't have them
6. May get a car that does not allow bluetooth connections, custom Slacker stations or saving driver profiles (I had one with this issue)
7. May be speed restricted to 75 or 80 mph. That may be an issue for some people, but not for everybody
8. May not be able to enter restricted areas that grant passage with barcode stickers (like my neighborhood). I have to wait with visitors for the guard to open the gate.
9. May not be able to use toll systems that require stickers or license plate tagging. Again, I have to stop, wait and pay toll on local toll roads. This is much slower and even costs more!

Since my own car is a P85 and has none of these issues, all of the loaners were less car than my own car. I even had 2 ranger visits just to avoid having to switch to a loaner.
I must acknowledge that my SC has gone to great lengths to make the service experience as painless as possible. However, if the actual service were better (i.e. problems fixed in reasonable time, cars not returned in worse condition than when they started) they wouldn't have to try so hard to make the inconvenience more tolerable.

If you think the OP is complaining or whining, imagine being without YOUR Tesla for 2 months.

Wow must be frustrating that its taking so long. I also had several paint imperfections with my new car. Like you, I had several paint chips on the hood. I thought these were wrapped when they are in transit? Also I had some scratches on the back.

I brought it in yesterday and they said that they have to repaint the entire hood which will take several days. Also there were a few other problems but relatively minor.

They gave me a P85 loaner so I don't mind. Mine has more upgrades including park distance control but I would rather they take their time and get ALL of the items fixed vs rush it.

Also when I picked it up there was a red paint scratch on the back. Luckily they were able to get that off but it got me curious how careful they are transporting these and also quality control before giving them to clients.

It was impossible to spot many of these things as my car had a thick layer of dust all over it due to the HUGE rock quarry near the San Diego service center.

Im confident everything will be fixed to my satisfaction. So far the service is great.

If you think the OP is complaining or whining, imagine being without YOUR Tesla for 2 months.

BINGO. The time some of these cars are sitting in service is simply amazing to me.

I hope you are escalating things to corporate and getting things handled.

Crazy--quality control is seriously lacking. Should never be leaving factory in this condition (nor delivered to client in that condition!)