Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The longest service/repair ever...need advice

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm sure I must hold the record for the longest time Tesla's had a car in for service. All told, my car has been in for service for over 2 months.

I dropped off my car in July and the service department had the car for 11 days. I brought it back on August 1st and as of today (September 12th) I still don't have my car back. In the meantime, I have logged almost 1,800 miles on the loaner car they gave me.

I bought a demo Model S and noticed that there were some cosmetic flaws in the paint when I originally picked it up (four chips in the hood, several paint scratches, etc.), a misaligned rear hatch and a front corner panel that had a noticeable gap. Tesla said they would take care of these issues so I dropped it off in July. They originally tried to take care of the paint issues at the service center without taking it to a body shop but weren't successful. In fact, the "wet sanding" they did the first time made the scratches look much worse. They told me to bring it back and they would send it to a body shop this time. The first body shop took a very long time and wound up breaking one of the lights on the car which had to be ordered--even further delaying the repair. When I saw the repair from the first body shop I wasn't pleased. They totally missed repairing 2 of the scratches and the rear hatch alignment looked untouched. I was then told that the first 1,300 or so cars off the assembly line were "hand assembled" and that accounted for the misalignment of the rear hatch and the front quarter panel not fitting properly. Hmmm. The service center told me they were also unhappy with the first body shop and weren't going to use them any more. This, of course, didn't make me any more comfortable about the repair work but I chose to leave the car there so they could send it to another body shop. This second shop has had the car from August 1st until yesterday (September 11th) when I noticed that the car was (finally) back to the service center.

I suspect I'll be getting a call today to pick it up but I'm very nervous about what I'll find when I go to collect the car.

Any advice about how you would handle this if you were in my shoes?

Wow, I can't beleive you left it there that long--more patient than most.

I would have given then a few weeks, not months, to fix their mistakes.

There should also be some cash payment to you for not having your car (even with a loaner).

PLEASE let us know how things go today when you pick it up.

Why? I'd actually be happy to put miles on someone else's car rather than my own. Not excusing the long service interval, but if you have a free equivalent or better car, what difference does it make?

If I drop $100K on a car and have to wait 2 months to drive it?? Don't care if they give me a loaner, I paid for my car not a rental. Just my opinion.

Wow, some people are hard to please. I don't think I have ever heard anybody complain about putting miles on a loaner that was equivalent or better than their car. Saves wear and tear on your car, while extending your warranty(few people will be able to not drive their Model S less than 50k miles in 4 years).

I agree that I would be irritated at my car not being as I hoped it would be, but I agree more strongly about not being happier at having the ability to put wear, tear and miles on another vehicle at another's expense while my own car's problems were being rectified. (Did I get the right amount of double negatives there? I think so.... :confused: )

I vehemently disagree about spending time into looking into lemon laws for this situation. Most simply: they weren't created to address chips in paint. Think about it, please!

Wow, some people are hard to please. I don't think I have ever heard anybody complain about putting miles on a loaner that was equivalent or better than their car. Saves wear and tear on your car, while extending your warranty(few people will be able to not drive their Model S less than 50k miles in 4 years).

I agree that I would be irritated at my car not being as I hoped it would be, but I agree more strongly about not being happier at having the ability to put wear, tear and miles on another vehicle at another's expense while my own car's problems were being rectified. (Did I get the right amount of double negatives there? I think so.... :confused: )

I vehemently disagree about spending time into looking into lemon laws for this situation. Most simply: they weren't created to address chips in paint. Think about it, please!

Really, you would be okay with paying $100K (or in this case much less), and then not be able to drive YOUR new car for two months?? Why bother buying it if you can't drive it. Don't care about rental. Hey, glad everyone is so accommodating. Heck Tesla loves people like you! OH well--all I can say is my car better not have that issue. Kinda like buying a house, then you can't move in for two months, but hey we'll give you a place to stay--come on.

I personally WOULD look into lemon laws--you cannot sell someone a car (that they have paid for) and have it in the shop for two months and think that is acceptable. Now in this case, it was a demo, soooooo buyer beware.

Last edited:
Really, you would be okay with paying $100K (or in this case much less), and then not be able to drive YOUR new car for two months?? Why bother buying it if you can't drive it. Don't care about rental. Hey, glad everyone is so accommodating. Heck Tesla, should just send out crappy cars, and everyone will be happy. OH well--all I can say is my car better not have that issue.

I personally WOULD look into lemon laws--you cannot sell someone a car (that they have paid for) and have it in the shop for two months and think that is acceptable. Now in this case, it was a demo, soooooo buyer beware.
Umm, I did pay close to $100k, and have been driving a loaner for almost a month. No big deal. You will not find better service than Tesla anywhere in this solar system. Now, if they gave someone an Enterprise ICE loaner, and it took months, I could see the frustration.

Umm, I did pay close to $100k, and have been driving a loaner for almost a month. No big deal. You will not find better service than Tesla anywhere in this solar system. Now, if they gave someone an Enterprise ICE loaner, and it took months, I could see the frustration.

Well you bring up a good point, cars are sitting in Tesla service for a month or two--that's a bigger issue in my book. I've never had a car in service for longer than a few days, so I'd say yes, there is better service in the solar system.

I didn't buy a car for it to sit in the shop.

Well you bring up a good point, cars are sitting in Tesla service for a month or two--that's a bigger issue in my book. I've never had a car in service for longer than a few days, so I'd say yes, there is better service in the solar system.

I didn't buy a car for it to sit in the shop.
Just curious. Did the better service you experienced, include dropping off a better than your car loaner(brand new car I might add), full of fuel, in your driveway, at the time of your choosing?

Just curious. Did the better service you experienced, include dropping off a better than your car loaner(brand new car I might add), full of fuel, in your driveway, at the time of your choosing?

I'd forego that, I'm fully capable of dropping at dealer--not a big deal nor important, to not have my car sit in the shop for a month or two.

You're missing the point, the car should NOT be IN the shop for a month and certainly not two, to begin with! All of these other fluff services don't help that.

But hey, if it's worth it to you, more power.

I'd forego that, I'm fully capable of dropping at dealer--not a big deal nor important, to not have my car sit in the shop for a month or two. But hey, if it's worth it to you, more power.
I have dealt with dealerships, and would rather take a bullet than go through that again. I'm sure if I pressed the service center to get my car done quicker, they would have done it(a few small items need fixed), but instead, knowing that they are short staffed, told them to take their time. It makes no difference as to who's car I'm driving, as long as it's a Tesla.

I totally agree with qwk.
And from my understanding the OP stated that it was all body work. Nothing wrong with the battery or the drive train. It appears that Tesla outsourced the body work to another shop which did not work out. They even broke a light which caused further delay. It seems like that there has been unfortunate events and issues with the car. But nothing to indicate that it is a lemon. Tesla also then outsourced it to a second body shop. IMO then this is out of Tesla's control. Yes Tesla can press them but the body shop is ultimately responsible and to blame in this situation. I think Tesla has been very accommodating with giving the OP a loaner. My car is getting fixed for free and I have an equivalent loaner, I do not find anything in this situation that would cause me to get upset especially for the price the car was purchased!!

I totally agree with qwk.
And from my understanding the OP stated that it was all body work. Nothing wrong with the battery or the drive train. It appears that Tesla outsourced the body work to another shop which did not work out. They even broke a light which caused further delay. It seems like that there has been unfortunate events and issues with the car. But nothing to indicate that it is a lemon. Tesla also then outsourced it to a second body shop. IMO then this is out of Tesla's control. Yes Tesla can press them but the body shop is ultimately responsible and to blame in this situation. I think Tesla has been very accommodating with giving the OP a loaner. My car is getting fixed for free and I have an equivalent loaner, I do not find anything in this situation that would cause me to get upset especially for the price the car was purchased!!

Tesla made (the defective) car. Tesla sold the car. Tesla recommended body shop. Telsa is responsible for the work of body shop they recommend. It's Tesla's issue until it's resolved. And yes, the buyer has every reason to be angry for a car sitting in the shop two months--period!

It amazing me how people defend Tesla--but hey, the kool aid tastes great! I drank it.

Anyways, let's see how patient you are if your new car arrives and sits in shop for two months.

Congrats BTW.

Last edited: