Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The longest service/repair ever...need advice

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
And about the Texas thing... Elon spent quite a bit of money unsuccessfully to be able to have services in your back yard.

Tesla spent a whopping $7500, the lobbyist collected more than $1M from TADA and large Tx Auto dealers to 'take care of' Texas Legislators. So, no, Tesla didn't spend anything in comparison. Different subject for different forum.

Tesla spent a whopping $7500, the lobbyist collected more than $1M from TADA and large Tx Auto dealers to 'take care of' Texas Legislators. So, no, Tesla didn't spend anything in comparison. Different subject for different forum.
Tesla also spent $350k on lobbyist vs $780k the auto dealers spent. The $7500 was campaign contributions (auto dealers spent $2.5 million).

I hear you early--just getting a little worried dropping $115K with issues of my car potentially sitting in service for 2 months. If I wanted that, I'd buy a Range Rover :biggrin:

Anyways, all's good--best of luck with the repairs.

Looking forward to my P85+.

I understand where you are coming from but I'd say take some time away from the boards. You can work yourself in a frantic worry if you read these boards too long. Again, I'm not saying there aren't issues to work out. Because there are. Case in point, I just came from a party tonight here where I live. There were 2 other guys I met that had Teslas. Well, BOTH of them also said their car is in the shop. And both of them, like me got them just a few weeks ago. Like mine, none of the problems sounded serious.

But they also were pretty easy going about it. They also got Model S loaner vehicles and Tesla seems like they are stepping up to the plate and doing the right thing. So that is more what I care about.

I totally understand your nervousness Tex. But again, I think that's all a part of being an early adopter. I give BIG kudos out to the TRUE early adopters of Tesla that bought these cars before they could even test drive them. I know many consider guys that are buying in 2013 not to be "early adopters" but I'd disagree. I didn't plan to be an early adopter and wait until 2014 to buy it. I made the mistake of test driving it. LOL. I put my deposit down the same day.

Tex, I know the wait can be frustrating, especially reading about potential issues. But so far, I haven't read of anyone that had problems where Tesla didn't make it right. I think that is a true testament to the spirit of the company.

- - - Updated - - -

Totally agree. It was maybe understandable when they were directly shipping the car to your house but with the service centers taking the car first, they should be able to address any issues prior to delivery.

Well, I just think they are still in high growth mode and still need to work on overall communication, staff training, corporate philosophy and employees that also want to take an initiative to know the product better than the end buyers/users. I've talked to other people that picked up cars recently and their experience was far from good. In fact, one guy I met told me how the person that showed him the car upon delivery was pulled from another department. And it was really bad. Ultimately Tesla admitted to him that they fired this guy.

And when I got the car, the girl showing me never went through 5.0. I mean, honestly that should NOT be happening. You have to understand and know your product. It was clear they never went through 5.0 yet. If it takes the a day longer to get trained on 5.0 then they need to do that, IMHO. Kind of along the same lines as some of the staff at the San Diego UTC store. Tesla seems like they are mostly hiring young recent college grads and paying them by the hour. More of a "warm body" type thing. I went in literally dozens of times before I bought my car. And several times I got wrong information or they didn't know.

So I think Tesla needs to be hiring people that really are passionate about the company and the product instead of just a warm body that wants to get their paycheck. At this stage in the game it shouldn't be difficult to find employees that really are more passionate and actually want to know more than a potential customer. Tesla probably needs to do more periodic testing of their existing employees to see how much they know and also make it a requirement for them to read some of these forum boards.

Also, I've mentioned this in another thread but the San Diego service center where you pick up the cars is located close to a HUGE Rock quarry. See Google Maps to see how enormous it is. There is a constant haze of dust in the air. I'd be embarrassed if I was Tesla to have customers picking up $100,000+ cars to be blanketed in dust. I mean, I couldn't see much of my car when I first picked it up. It's not like I could have dusted it there when I picked it up. I didn't have anything to but once I washed it the next day and noticed the paint imperfections I let them know and they immediately said they would fix it.

Heck, even yesterday when I picked up my loaner, I picked it up at 9:30 AM. They open at 8:00 AM. Already in that 1:30 hours there was tons of dust on the cars. Any one that is curious, just go to the San Diego service center and take a photo of all the cars sitting out there covered in thick dust. I was going to take a photo and post it but I don't want to embarrass Tesla and it WOULD be very embarrassing to see that. But if you live in San Diego, just go by to see it yourself. There is no gate in the parking lot so anyone can see it with their own eyes. This is clearly a problem which they probably should address sooner rather than later.

The scratch I did notice (a red scratch of paint on the back) was impossible to miss so not sure how they missed it. But it was bad enough where the detailer that came out couldn't remove it on the parking lot. They had to take my car back to the garage and remove it. Which they did successfully remove. But the question remains, should a customer picking up a new black car have a red paint mark on it upon delivery that they can't get off in the parking lot?? I don't think so.

Also, another problem is that it seems like the actual great employees at a given Service Center are getting shuffled around and transferred. For example, Erick Pinzon was GREAT. He would even come to the San Diego Tesla group meetings and was very involved. Well, he got transferred. So it might be a case of that as well where they have good staff but then getting transferred.

I'm certainly not complaining but I think it's very important to be VERY objective throughout this entire process. Sure, we can cut Tesla some slack and be patient, but it doesn't do them any good to sugar coat anything. They obviously have issues they need to address and improve. That will be good over the long haul for their customers, their investors, management and their employees.

And I've mentioned this in other posts but the guys at the top level management are AMAZING. Guys like Jerome Guillen are truly incredible. The guy is a workhorse. I've worked with a lot of top executives at various Fortune 500 companies, governmental agencies, banking institutions and other corporations and this guy is as good as it gets. The guy is always working. The guy has emailed me on a Sunday night at 10 PM PST time still sitting in his desk at work.

It's wonderful to have guys like Jerome but the guy is pulling more than his weight, IMHO. And people probably wouldn't have to bother him if they got proper training and communication was better at the lower levels. I realize things are moving fast but it makes sense for Tesla to really take a look at their corporate communication at the lower levels so it doesn't even have to make it's way up to the "Jerome's" of Tesla.

Whatever they are paying guys like Jerome it's probably not enough and I hope they never lose guys like him. But I can honestly say that with guys like him at Elon's side, I'm still confident that Tesla will do the right thing when there are problems. And ultimately why I'm more patient with them when there are problems or issues. I do think we owe it to Tesla to be more patient. But I also think Tesla owes it to the future buyers further down the road to fix all these problems.

Case in point, when I buy a Model X next year and take delivery of it. I wouldn't expect to go through these same types of issues. I'd hope that the experience will be more polished, more detailed, more organized and I won't have to take it to the service center.

Last edited:
OP here. The saga continues and not in a good way. I went to pick up my car yesterday after hearing from the service department that it was ready. I was told before I got there that the Regional Manager personally inspected my car and that "it's not perfect...but it's about 90% there". This didn't sound positive.

The body shop was able to repair all of the scratches and chips that I pointed out but the lift gate/rear tail alignment is still way out of whack. I wish I had photos to post...I think it would quiet some of the people saying that I'm being whiny. You can take your pinky finger and insert part of it in the seam between the lift gate and body on the left side of the car. However, you can't do it on the right because the fit is much tighter. When looking at the bottom of the lift gate, the space between the bottom of the lift gate and the bumper on the left side is about 1/4" wider than that on the right side. Seriously...does this sound normal? I looked at a 6-7 cars while I was there and NONE of them looked remotely like mine. Also, if you were to take a finger and run it down the left tail light you can see that the body piece below the light is flared out about 1/8"-1/4". The right side however is perfectly flat and even with the right tail light--no problems.

I did question them about whether they had knowledge if the car had been in an accident. I was told that Tesla would have to tell me if it had been before I bought it. How could the car have body pieces this far out of alignment?

They told me that the body shop was willing to add/chop/dice as necessary to the back of the car to make everything look even but I don't want the car to be Frankensteined to be right. The other option they said was to have a new rear hatch manufactured, shipped here and installed which might fix the hatch problem but not the light alignment issue. I have no idea what to do at this point. I left the car there and took a loaner again.

I left a message for the Regional Manager and suppose I will hear something on Monday. I do want to say to the Kool Aid drinkers and company fans that I own a lot of Tesla stock and really believe in the company but this experience has been excruciating.

OP here. The saga continues and not in a good way. I went to pick up my car yesterday after hearing from the service department that it was ready. I was told before I got there that the Regional Manager personally inspected my car and that "it's not perfect...but it's about 90% there". This didn't sound positive.

The body shop was able to repair all of the scratches and chips that I pointed out but the lift gate/rear tail alignment is still way out of whack. I wish I had photos to post...I think it would quiet some of the people saying that I'm being whiny. You can take your pinky finger and insert part of it in the seam between the lift gate and body on the left side of the car. However, you can't do it on the right because the fit is much tighter. When looking at the bottom of the lift gate, the space between the bottom of the lift gate and the bumper on the left side is about 1/4" wider than that on the right side. Seriously...does this sound normal? I looked at a 6-7 cars while I was there and NONE of them looked remotely like mine. Also, if you were to take a finger and run it down the left tail light you can see that the body piece below the light is flared out about 1/8"-1/4". The right side however is perfectly flat and even with the right tail light--no problems.

I did question them about whether they had knowledge if the car had been in an accident. I was told that Tesla would have to tell me if it had been before I bought it. How could the car have body pieces this far out of alignment?

They told me that the body shop was willing to add/chop/dice as necessary to the back of the car to make everything look even but I don't want the car to be Frankensteined to be right. The other option they said was to have a new rear hatch manufactured, shipped here and installed which might fix the hatch problem but not the light alignment issue. I have no idea what to do at this point. I left the car there and took a loaner again.

I left a message for the Regional Manager and suppose I will hear something on Monday. I do want to say to the Kool Aid drinkers and company fans that I own a lot of Tesla stock and really believe in the company but this experience has been excruciating.

At this point if I were Tesla, I'd give you your money back and let you buy a different car. It sounds like this brave new World we all find ourselves in is probably not for you. If you'd bought a Toyota the seams may not have lined up but it would be fixed by now. With Tesla we are taking a leap of faith not only with the car, but with the company too.

I fully expect there will be issues with my Model S but quite frankly, as long as they give me a comparable (or BETTER) vehicle to use, they can keep mine as long as they need it. I think I'd be even more patient if the car I bought was a Loaner. I would have loved to find a P85 for $85k. That's a screamin' deal and worth putting up with loaner if you ask me, but it sounds like you have just about had it. Coming on here and complaining isn't going to speed anything up and all it does it run down the brand and the company. Quite frankly, you sound like someone trying manipulate the stock or otherwise degrade the company. Not saying you ARE, but Your story is starting to sound like a load of carefully crafted baloney to me.. Nowhere else have I seen anyone with a worse report card on the Tesla Service Dept. I cannot imagine any scenario where they would "Frankenstein up your car"...

So I guess I'm skeptical at this point... I would really like to see some pics of the issues you are describing. How does anyone know you even HAVE a Model S? You also say you own a lot of Stock in the company. I'm sorry but if you do, it sounds like you are doing your best to short it. There are a lot of really disingenous people on the Internet and in particular forums like this. If you really are having all these problems, how about some proof? Post some pics. Post a work order from Tesla describing the issue. Anything... Otherwise at this point seven pages later, I'm calling Shananigans... Something just isn't adding up for me. I guess I'm a cynic but I'm not buying it. I'm out.

ETA: I do not own any stock in Tesla...

Last edited:
Regional Manager personally inspected my car and that "it's not perfect...but it's about 90% there".

This guy should be fired. What Regional Manger says, hey were 90% there, come on and pick up your car. Why even call the customer, just get it 100% and be done.

At this point I would just ask for my money back and move on!

I would contact them and demand your money back on Monday (or a credit of the full price towards a new Tesla--I think that's fair). If they don't, hire an attorney and start making a stink--see what happens then. If that doesn't get their attn (and it will trust me), call local news consumer reporter. I don't care if you got a discount (some people are obviously quite jealous of that--and think then you deserve a quasi okay car), this is insane what Tesla is putting you through for almost two months. Now let's see what that idiot regional manager says. 90%--what a joke.

According to Tesla's own paperwork (the package you have to sign--I received mine last night), it states you have to give Tesla a 'reasonable' amount of time to fix issues. I think almost two months is MORE than reasonable--quite frankly one month is. Think any court would find the same.

I just love the replies form posters saying "oh man it will be okay, just chill, drink some Tesla Kool Aid, give them another month or two to fix it, be patient, don't rock the Tesla boat man, it's a 'used' car so who cares, he got what he deserves because they gave him a discount". LOL--never laughed so hard in my life.

OP they are scr*wing you--take matters up about five levels and end the insanity!

Last edited:
Tex,

Not to scare you or make you feel bad. But here is a pretty good thread on the main board and kind of goes along with what you mentioned.

This OP of the thread before they got the car kind of had the attitude that Tesla could do no wrong. Well, now that they got a car with problems.......they aren't singing the Tesla praises so loud.

My brand new car needs service [UPDATED 9/14] | Forums | Tesla Motors

It's also a good reminder for some of you out there that keep saying, "it didn't happen if there are no photos". There are obviously things that need to be worked out and fixed ASAP.

Tex,

Not to scare you or make you feel bad. But here is a pretty good thread on the main board and kind of goes along with what you mentioned.

This OP of the thread before they got the car kind of had the attitude that Tesla could do no wrong. Well, now that they got a car with problems.......they aren't singing the Tesla praises so loud.

My brand new car needs service [UPDATED 9/14] | Forums | Tesla Motors

It's also a good reminder for some of you out there that keep saying, "it didn't happen if there are no photos". There are obviously things that need to be worked out and fixed ASAP.

Yep, old Amped is so happy now. Kinda sad when you read the post, as she is so right--these things are known issues and should have been resolved at factory.

Well, the one thing I do know, if Tesla keeps up this QC at the factory, it will start to impact their sales big time--then they won't be so cheerful.

Anyways, debating on what to do with my order. We'll see--just have to weigh pros and cons. Didn't think the issues were as bad as they seem to now be out of the factory. More just sad, because the things that are issues are so easy to resolve, but they are not proactive at all. Very reactive, but not proactive.

Quite frankly, you sound like someone trying manipulate the stock or otherwise degrade the company. Not saying you ARE, but Your story is starting to sound like a load of carefully crafted baloney to me.. Nowhere else have I seen anyone with a worse report card on the Tesla Service Dept. I cannot imagine any scenario where they would "Frankenstein up your car"...

So I guess I'm skeptical at this point... I would really like to see some pics of the issues you are describing. How does anyone know you even HAVE a Model S? You also say you own a lot of Stock in the company. I'm sorry but if you do, it sounds like you are doing your best to short it. There are a lot of really disingenous people on the Internet and in particular forums like this. If you really are having all these problems, how about some proof? Post some pics. Post a work order from Tesla describing the issue. Anything... Otherwise at this point seven pages later, I'm calling Shananigans... Something just isn't adding up for me. I guess I'm a cynic but I'm not buying it. I'm out.

First of all, it's offensive to suggest that I would make up a story like this. Do you really think I have time to play games on a chat board? Here is a photo of the rear of my car my my garage BEFORE Tesla's last round of repairs. Take a look at the gap below the rear hatch. Also, you can clearly see that the tail light on the right side is way out of alignment. It doesn't look exactly like this now. They repositioned the lift gate and it lines up a little better on the right side but it's just not right on the left now and at the bottom. I can't imagine anyone would think this is ok. I've seen cheap Hyundai cars with better body alignments. I would also note that I took my car to get the windows tinted when I first got it and the window tinter noticed it right away. He said he had done several Teslas and mine had some very noticeable alignment problems.

As far as stock goes, I wasn't as lucky to get it when it was in the 30's...I bought 200 shares at around $96 (roughly $20k) and still own it. I want the stock to go up...not down. Hopefully this is proof enough that I'm not just playing around here...geez!

tesla photo1.jpg

Wow, I'm a 30 year car dealer and understand there are folks that are quite difficult to please. Doesn't mean you are a bad person, just more particular than others. And that is okay, the world would not be any fun if we were all identical. The very first day we brought our car home a truck backed into the front end and bent the hood lip. I think the park sensors should tell the computer so the car could flash the lights and honk the horn when this happens! Is there an app for that?

As long as human beings are involved in the production, delivery, and preparation of automobiles there will be issues. And two months is not ridiculous for some body shops. Remember that Tesla locations don't have long term relationships with outside contractors to best decide where to go with certain issues. You can be demanding, but at the end of the day just sell me your car for $5k more than you paid and buy another one! I could make $5k on it tomorrow! SERIOUSLY! I have a dealer friend that would buy it for $95k instantly.

As a comparison to consider. Two years ago I paid $52k for a Ford F150 Platinum pickup. The wheel arch flare had a horrible screw that was not installed properly and could not be fixed without repainting the panel. I elected to leave it alone. There was also an area where someone wet sanded the paint too flat and since I have a very discerning eye noticed it right off. 25k miles later and 26 months not one other person has ever noticed those two issues. Not saying that it shouldn't have been perfect but in the end I didn't make multiple entries on the Ford forum questioning the ability of a 100+ year old company. What I am more concerned with is the Eco Boost V6 that Ford cannot fix! They are on their 6 version to keep the truck from stalling when you mash the throttle. It seems water accumulates around the inter-coolers and when you floor it to pass or leave a light, then the water kills a few cylinders which then sends the engine into limp mode. This is a Ford truck we're talking about with who knows how many people at the factory working on the issue for the last year! And I'm not alone on this issue.

Maybe work with Tesla to meet your expectations and add a bit of compassion. We all want this company to not only survive but thrive. There is nothing you can't do when you work together. I truly wish you a better experience so you can start enjoying the amazing car.

And about the Texas thing... Elon spent quite a bit of money unsuccessfully to be able to have services in your back yard. Maybe lobby your local representative or Senator instead of Tesla or the Forum.

Better a diamond with a flaw than a pebble without. ~Confucius, Analects

+100. It's good to have perspective.

You can be demanding, but at the end of the day just sell me your car for $5k more than you paid and buy another one! I could make $5k on it tomorrow! SERIOUSLY! I have a dealer friend that would buy it for $95k instantly.

This sounds great on paper but it simply doesn't work. My car was $83k but the taxes and tags were another $5k = $88k. Then take into account that I would lose the $7,250 Federal tax credit and would be ineligible for a subsequent credit and state credit. Now the investment in the car is closer to $98k. Then factor in that I would have to pay taxes on the sale to the state and there is absolutely NO WAY to sell the car for $95k and make any money. Anyone who thinks so is bad at math. I would lose money selling the car at $95k.

This sounds great on paper but it simply doesn't work. My car was $83k but the taxes and tags were another $5k = $88k. Then take into account that I would lose the $7,250 Federal tax credit and would be ineligible for a subsequent credit and state credit. Now the investment in the car is closer to $98k. Then factor in that I would have to pay taxes on the sale to the state and there is absolutely NO WAY to sell the car for $95k and make any money. Anyone who thinks so is bad at math. I would lose money selling the car at $95k.

And we are off the subject (and I do agree with you BTW)...anyways back to what the real issue is--Tesla Quality Control at the factory.

Thank you for posting pics, kinda silly that people didn't believe you, but hey if anything is said not nice about Tesla, all of a sudden it's an issue.

If they would improve QC at the factory, it would free up the local service centers to focus on day-to-day things (annual service, serious issues, etc) rather than fixing blatant mistakes that the factory assembly line failed to catch. Also would save a lot of money for the company. Just my .02.

Last edited:

Sorry to hear you are going through all of this. Hope they will fix it for you in the end or at least either give you your money back. Maybe they will let you buy a newer loaner for same price.

Honestly OP. That little misalignment issue would not be a big deal to me... Especially if I'd bought the car used, for a huge discount. You also say it's not even THAT bad now. I really can't see what you are so upset about. It's barely noticeable. I'd keep the loaner and let them fix it however they need to or ask them to give me my money back. At this point you may just get it. I know someone right now who'd buy that car for that price even with the misalignment issue and be thrilled to get it.

What?? Are you looking at the same picture I am? You're obviously joking.

Might want to apply for that Regional Manager position at Tesla.

Once your car arrives like this and has the other issues, remember this post--I will.

My car won't be used. His is... All I'm saying is, if I'd gotten a 20k discount, I'd be far more willing to let Tesla take care of it however they need to as long as I had one to drive. I have a friend on another forum who would give his right arm to be able to get a Model S for that price and even if they needed to keep it a year, he'd still have a P85 loaner and the baddest ass ride in the USA to drive every day. It's all a matter of perspective... ;)

Last edited:
My car won't be used. His is... All I'm saying is, if I'd gotten a 20k discount, I'd be far more willing to let Tesla take care of it however they need to as long as I had one to drive. I have a friend on another forum who would give his right arm to be able to get a Model S for that price and even if they needed to keep it a year, he'd still have a P85 loaner and the baddest ass ride in the USA to drive every day. It's all a matter of perspective... ;)

Got it.

Well for those new guys like you and I, I'd highly suggest tracking this thread http://www.teslamotors.com/forum/forums/my-brand-new-car-needs-service-updated-914--nightmare a new model S owner is going through after a few weeks into ownership.

All I can hope is Tesla is waking up on quality.

It's simple, they keep pumping out poor quality cars (no matter how nice they are to offer to fix), they will see sales tank.

I hope that won't be the case.

Cautiously awaiting my P85+.