Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The M3 as a space heater [climate control running while parked]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We live in Central Texas and just moved our potted plumerias into the garage where they will keep company with the M3. I know the Tesla maintains an optimal temperature for the batteries and noticed that the garage was way warmer than expected considering the wimpy space heater i was running at the lowest setting. The plants are AOK over 40 degrees and I’m wondering if the car keeping itself comfortable is enough to warm the garage too.
Who else has plants by their Tesla?

• Funny
Reactions: KenC
Further investigation revealed that the car is maintaining the cabin temperature. We need to locate this setting as I don’t want to be replacing 2% of the charge per hour to accomplish this.
And the battery management and cabin temperature management are linked, according to another lengthy and argumentative post from 2018.
So inevitably, the car is going to put some heat into the closed garage . . .

Last edited:
Further investigation revealed that the car is maintaining the cabin temperature. We need to locate this setting as I don’t want to be replacing 2% of the charge per hour to accomplish this.
And the battery management and cabin temperature management are linked, according to another lengthy and argumentative post from 2018.
Right. There should be no heat or battery management running all the time. When you use the app to set the climate, the battery begins to condition as well, but the car should not be doing this on its own.
If you check the app and the climate control is off, and it's still doing this, it's time to ask for service.

The car is not going to try to keep the battery from getting cold unless its so cold it would damage it, and my understanding of that is "below 0, perhaps significantly so". I doubt your closed garage is significantly below zero, so the climate control is likely not running on its own to warm the battery.

Occams razor applies here, imo. Check the tesla app of anyone who has access to the car, and make sure they do not have climate clicked on, in the app.

There is definitely some waste heat from charging though. So during those times your plumerias will be more content. Best thing for the plumerias would be to put them on insulated platform off the garage floor slab, think sleeping directly on the cold ground or an air mattress.
BDAD8197-4F67-4021-A7CB-573F642C0DA7.jpeg

I told the wife to use the ap to reduce the temp; she reported A/C coming on. I told her to turn it off! This reminds me of playing whack a mole.

You dont want to reduce the temp, you want to turn the climate control off. It should not be running at all, unless you specifically want it to condition the cabin.

Reactions: pikeman
I told the wife to use the ap to reduce the temp; she reported A/C coming on. I told her to turn it off! This reminds me of playing whack a mole.
Right - don't set a temp.

If you set a temp, the car will try to keep that temp, whether it means running the heat or the AC.

To stop maintaining a temp, turn it off.

It will normally turn off when you leave the car... It will only stay on if you tell it to stay on by setting a temp after you leave (or by hitting "maintain temp" in the car before leaving.)

Reactions: pikeman
I've done that a couple times; used my Tesla to warm my 3-car garage. Works pretty well actually. Just lowered all the windows, opened a couple doors, and ran the heater. One advantage of a resistive heater; doesn't pull heat from the battery. 😁