Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The M3 terrifies BMW

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Saying why wait for a Model 3 when you can buy an EV with 15 mile range is ridiculous. Especially when that car starts at $45k. Its no surprise they are lucky to sell 30 a month. You would think when 300,000 reservations are made for a long range EV they might realize what people actually want.

Showing someone walking by a supercharger they can't use, to plug in to a 110v outlet just shows how clueless they are. My i3 didn't even come with DC fast charging, and while they have since made it standard they have made little to no progress in a DC fast charging network. Instead they advertised dealers giving loaner cars for long trips, except it took many months until dealers even thought about doing it, and when some did they added restrictions that defeat the whole purpose. Getting a loaner car with a 100 mile per day limit doesn't help with long distance travel.

Take a look at the 2016 US sales for a comparison ... 218 BMW vs. 14,240 Tesla S:cool:

2016-sales-chart-July-vfinal1.png

This is actually really stupid of BMW because most of the world still has no idea about Tesla and certainly not its Model 3. BMW just potentially piqued the interest of thousands of people.
Agreed. Dell was still a year away from launching in Australia when Compaq started telling us all how bad they were, and I think the same when I see this. That they don't use Tesla's actual name doesn't obscure who they're talking about, and completely acknowledges and therefore validates Tesla as a direct competitor.

If this keeps up Tesla can avoid advertising for a bit longer.

talk about admitting that an unknown car that 370 thousand people have paid money to reserve is more exciting than a slightly electric ICE powered standard car.
Even worse, it proves that even BMW don't see the i3 as competition for the Tesla Model ☰ so they had to resort to using a hybrid instead.
It's the only sedan they have right now. Will be 5 years (2021) before BMW has an EV sedan.
If the Model 3 becomes popular worldwide, then BMW may lose more than single digit percentages of 3 series sales. But that larger market growth for Tesla will be slow enough to provide BMW time to catch up.