Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The M3 terrifies BMW

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
BMW could probably make a pretty compelling electric car if they wanted to. They have proven time and time again that they can make some of the best driving cars. But lately they haven't really been focusing on that. They have had a lot of product line bloat, chasing market share by making their cars more like the competition and less like what uniquely distinguishes them. And their reliability, while far from the worst in the industry, has never been stellar. I hope they get religion though, they certainly can make great cars when they want to.

If BMW would simply create a fully electric version of their M3 then they could actually compete.
That makes no sense as it would be too expensive to build for the target market. Very few people want a high performance EV!

It's not like they're short on cash, they just don't seem to think consumers want safe, high performance, fully electric, cars.
BMW already has a huge marketshare using ICE. Their roadmap takes them into 2021 for a full EV sedan. Again "high performance" is a relative term as there are many factors that go into performance. Tesla has addressed the power aspect, because it is relatively inexpensive. But you'll pay a premium for the higher performing versions which would get you into the performance car market.

And you bring up another mistake; bad idea in advertising to tell people (at least some of the population) that the 'other' product sucks. That just makes me want to go investigate the other product to see if your advertising is actually true - my experience is that often the advertising isn't exactly true, it's at least slanted/exaggerated/missing vital info.

I'm starting to get idea that Tesla will never have to advertise (conventionally) at this rate.

And BMW has set GM up quite nicely for their next Internet marketing campaign.

"Want to drive electric? Considering the 330e? We have a couple of cars you might be interested in..."

Reactions: Red Sage
That makes no sense. The entire market is affected and it's not because of anything Tesla is doing.

You know that the 400,000 Model 3 reservations have nothing to do with current sales of Model 3 equivalent cars? :rolleyes:

How many of those 400,000 Model 3 reservation holders do you think are out car shopping this weekend?

RT

BMW could probably make a pretty compelling electric car if they wanted to.

Actually I don't agree. They have been in the EV business for a good few years and they have proven beyond doubt that they are incapable of doing great EVs. It is basic logic. If you are in a certain market why not do the best possible car - isn't that what competition all about? The problem is deep rooted in the culture of a company like BMW and you can see even their fans in this forum going all out to try prove that a true performance ICE is no match for an EV. You just cannot come up with a good EV with an attitude like that and at the end of the day, it doesn't matter what BMW or their fans try to say, the proof is in the pudding.

It's a safe bet that BMW knows what is going to happen to 3 Series sales, cause it's already happening. The 9 digit number in the last column is probably what led to the commercials...

Some of that is structural shift in the market. Plot X-series sales and the picture changes. US X1 and X3 sales are way up. The X3 is up 50% YTD over last year and the X1 is up > 100%. The X5 and X6 are down though - and that might be the Tesla Model x interfering. Or they could just need a refresh.

Small And Midsize Luxury SUV Sales In America - June 2016 YTD - GOOD CAR BAD CAR

Actually I don't agree. They have been in the EV business for a good few years and they have proven beyond doubt that they are incapable of doing great EVs. It is basic logic. If you are in a certain market why not do the best possible car - isn't that what competition all about? The problem is deep rooted in the culture of a company like BMW and you can see even their fans in this forum going all out to try prove that a true performance ICE is no match for an EV. You just cannot come up with a good EV with an attitude like that and at the end of the day, it doesn't matter what BMW or their fans try to say, the proof is in the pudding.

The proof of the pudding is in the eating, and the all-electric BMW 3-Series Active-E was reasonably well regarded (for a conversion job) by the few people who were able to lease one. They just don't want to make a proper one.

Yep, it's a question of will not of capability.
I would analyze it a little further. What drives their will (or rather lack of will) on EV production? Publicly owned companies have to worry first and foremost about shareholder value. I expect that when they look at the cost to produce an EV (including the engineering and special costs for parts when procured in relatively smaller volumes) they determine that to make a really good EV will not produce a good return on investment (at least, in the intermediate term), considering what their shareholders expect. Tesla's difficult financial condition would be confirmation of this. The managers who decide what models to build get a lot of their compensation in company stock options, and decide that to authorize their company to make a good EV would literally be taking money out of their own pockets; and they hope to be retired (and have extracted all their money) before the EV revolution washes over the industry. Tesla gets away with what they are doing because their stockholders believe in the company's long-term mission, and are willing to ignore the constant stream of negative press from stock analysis journalists (who go along with Wall Street's tendency to focus on short-term results). Tesla's results will come much further down the line than a quarter or two.

If you're afraid of the competition, don't bring attention to the competition by doing the advertising for them. This just brings the attention to Tesla from people who might not otherwise be aware of them.

Reactions: Krugerrand
That makes no sense. The entire market is affected and it's not because of anything Tesla is doing.

The entire market segment is down 65,000 units for the period of May through July compared to 2015. How much of that 65,000 unit loss is a result of the 400,000 units of reserved T3s during that similar period? I sure don't know but it must have had some effect, enough for BMW to do some defensive strategic advertising. o_O

It's a safe bet that BMW knows what is going to happen to 3 Series sales, cause it's already happening. The 9 digit number in the last column is probably what led to the commercials...

If I had only 12-18 months remaining to prop up slumping sales by selling a 14 range mile hybrid with make-pretend charging convenience, then I'd be terrified too, or at least talking to Apple, Google and Amazon. And the in-your-face naming of the M3 to take on the 3 series was nothing short of brilliant Musk warfare.