Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The M3 terrifies BMW

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Those ads are pretty funny! There are enough hybrids already, we don't need another hybrid. As part of the demographic they seem to be targeting, I wouldn't say I would never buy a BMW, but it would absolutely have to be 100% electric and have pretty decent range before I would consider it. Superchargers (on or off brand ;)) may or may not sweeten the deal ... (don't think either will ever happen though!)

I've never worked at BMW (or any other car company), but I've worked at several high tech companies, now deceased, that never could bring themselves to come out with products that competed with their existing lines. When the PC came on the scene, the mini-computer companies went down with flags flying. It's very hard for a new group to build a product that competes with existing entrenched divisions in a company, the old guard holds all the cards.

Another example is Oldsmobile vs Saturn. Olds was clearly a zombie, yet it got the lions share of development money.

Reactions: Red Sage
BMW, I will be happy to wait for my Model 3. Sure, I'd like to have it now, but I can wait.

When it comes to electric cars, there's Tesla, then there's all the others.

BMW and other automakers will not make the investment to produce a true electric car, they will continue to try and save money by half-assing an electric powertrain into a gas engine car and call it a hybrid, then make excuses for why they think it is better. And because of that, they will never beat Tesla.

BMW, I will be happy to wait for my Model 3. Sure, I'd like to have it now, but I can wait.

When it comes to electric cars, there's Tesla, then there's all the others.

BMW and other automakers will not make the investment to produce a true electric car, they will continue to try and save money by half-assing an electric powertrain into a gas engine car and call it a hybrid, then make excuses for why they think it is better. And because of that, they will never beat Tesla.
Never say never. First is not always best. BMW will have a full EV sedan in 5 years. Mercedes is introducing one next month.
Mercedes Is About to Unveil an Entire Fleet of Electric Vehicles
So yes, they have been investing to compete in the EV market - prompted by Tesla.

This about as close to pissing down your leg as you can get with an ad campaign. Sorry BMW, but Elon might as well be your boogey man.

He He! So where is this two-station SuperCharger on the top of some deserted parking garage, anyway? And she finds an outdoor 120V outlet at the base of a lamp post?

Funniest thing to me was the loud engine noise heard in both videos from that BMW "EV" as it drives away.

I am enjoying the irony of complaining about "waiting" while walking past two 120kW Superchargers to unplug your car from a 110V outlet.

BTW, someone at BMW's ad agency should get smacked on the back of the head for this ads. They work for a challenger attacking a market leader, but not the other way around, it just ends up coming off ad an admission of weakness that the market leader sees the challenger as a viable threat.

BTW, someone at BMW's ad agency should get smacked on the back of the head for this ads. They work for a challenger attacking a market leader, but not the other way around, it just ends up coming off ad an admission of weakness that the market leader sees the challenger as a viable threat.
Curious -- I have never viewed Tesla as anything but the market leader.

Curious -- I have never viewed Tesla as anything but the market leader.

For EVs, sure, but in the broader automobile market, they are not in the same league as Toyota, VAG, etc. yet in terms of volume or revenue. The most revealing thing about this ad campaign is that they don't line up the Model 3 against their "i" sub-brand but instead against their core 3 Series cars. The mistake that BMW has made is that, as the challenger, Tesla would have had to justify parity with the 3 Series and BMW could have disputed that. Instead, BMW has done the Tesla's work for them.

For EVs, sure, but in the broader automobile market, they are not in the same league as Toyota, VAG, etc. yet in terms of volume or revenue. The most revealing thing about this ad campaign is that they don't line up the Model 3 against their "i" sub-brand but instead against their core 3 Series cars. The mistake that BMW has made is that, as the challenger, Tesla would have had to justify parity with the 3 Series and BMW could have disputed that. Instead, BMW has done the Tesla's work for them.

It's only a mistake is if the ad is seen by a bunch of people who might have bought a BMW, weren't aware of the Model 3 and now become interested in the Model 3.

There's a good principle that if you think an ad is stupid, it's not aimed at you.*

This ad is not aimed at the people ueber-enthusiastic about PEVs. Those people know the choices, will laugh at the ridiculously small range and go buy or lease a Volt or short-range BEV to tide them over until Model 3 arrives. This ad is aimed at the people who want good performance from a car and like the idea of going electric as well. It's just a play to cut down the ZEV credit costs and hold onto those customers.

* I believe that there are virtually no car commercials aimed at me.

• Funny
Reactions: eisa01 and ChadS
It looks like the lady stops the charging sessi8nby unplugging from the wall first instead of from the car. Isn't that bad?

It is bad. But remember that the ad is aimed at people who are merely PEV-curious, and that time is money.

The key message is the use of a regular socket that allows them easily to get extra bits of charge. One shot needed. A J1772 would be unfamiliar and would suggest something special and alien.

It is bad. But remember that the ad is aimed at people who are merely PEV-curious, and that time is money.

The key message is the use of a regular socket that allows them easily to get extra bits of charge. One shot needed. A J1772 would be unfamiliar and would suggest something special and alien.
It is a J1772 that she unplugs from the car.

• Helpful
Reactions: SW2Fiddler