Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The M3 terrifies BMW

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is this just the 2170 cells? Or are you talking about putting them all in modules then complete a full pack in 3 minutes?

Same thing. It isn't producing the 6000ish cells in three minutes (since among other things they need to age). It is building 6000ish cells EVERY three minutes. Which means it has to produce a full pack every three minutes as well, or batteries will just stack up in the factory.

Thank you kindly.

Actually it does. Among those who are big on reducing GHG, the more sustainable one's lifestyle, net zero home and car, it definitely confers status.

Hi, @EaglesPDX,

I'm afraid I'm numbered among those who think that your "terrified Teslarati" thesis has appeal only as alliteration and lacks any real-world validity. I haven't engaged this thread because I haven't seen any reason to do so. The proponents whose view I share are advocating it reasonably and rigorously. I doubt that you are amenable to changing your mind on this issue. So shut-my-mouth-and-call-me-quiet. :)

But...

You have succinctly articulated a point that I both disagree with and have ample and frustrating anecdotal experience dealing with. The Environmentarati as I shall call them -- those people who work in the environmental movement, whether for Greenpeace or the Sierra Club or Clean Water or even Citizens' Climate Lobby and so on and so forth -- a LOT of those people have deep problems accepting Tesla and its products. Some of them think that the products are inextricably linked to rich people, and view any accumulation of wealth as a Bad Thing. Some of them think that we should only ride bicycles. Some of them believe that operating a Tesla causes more GHGs to be generated than operating a Prius. (Really.) I am surprised every day just how many of these people exist and how much of an impediment they can be to the general electrification of transport. And many of these Environmentarati are not shy about projecting opprobrium onto those who have the temerity to, say, show up to an environmental meeting driving a Tesla.

I will grant that (1) my data are anecdotal and (2) I am painting with a very broad brush, but at the end of the day your contention that driving a Tesla confers status amongst the Environmentarati -- I would also call them "those who are big on reducing GHG, the more sustainable one's lifestyle, net zero home and car" -- is Full of Stuff. :) I wish you were right.

Alan

I will grant that (1) my data are anecdotal and (2) I am painting with a very broad brush, but at the end of the day your contention that driving a Tesla confers status amongst the Environmentarati -- I would also call them "those who are big on reducing GHG, the more sustainable one's lifestyle, net zero home and car" -- is Full of Stuff. :) I wish you were right.
You are also only focusing on the complaints.

As a non-carrying Environmentat, my opinion about owning an eV comes down to source energy. However, should we ever meet at a meeting, I assure you that your car will be greeted with a smile.

Reactions: Red Sage
You are also only focusing on the complaints.

As a non-carrying Environmentat, my opinion about owning an eV comes down to source energy. However, should we ever meet at a meeting, I assure you that your car will be greeted with a smile.

Oh, I agree, I speak from my own personal frustration and I also am overgeneralizing. If I offended you, such was not my intent, and I apologize!

Alan

Maybe when BMW produces something like this Tesla will raise an eyebrow.

I don't know if the microphones are extra sensitive or the car needs some serious noise dampening material. Tesla take notice at all the customization available and information available to customers without having to be a service technician. Interesting to note is the two speed gearbox in the rear wheels. Tesla abandoned that concept when it kept breaking. That poor car going through the gravel and you can hear all the rocks hitting it.

Last edited:
Maybe a bit more 'observability' might not do much harm for a Tesla but 'controllability' by way of user adjustments to drivetrain parameters such as torque distribution between front and back - No thanks. There are things you can have in a proof of concept that you just don't allow in a production car. What's the deal with mechanical gears anyway? Seems like unnecessary complication to me.

Reactions: Red Sage

I don't know if the microphones are extra sensitive or the car needs some serious noise dampening material. Tesla take notice at all the customization available and information available to customers without having to be a service technician. Interesting to note is the two speed gearbox in the rear wheels. Tesla abandoned that concept when it kept breaking. That poor car going through the gravel and you can hear all the rocks hitting it.

Pretty sure you're hearing the straight cut gears - more efficient, and smaller for the same load levels, but much louder than spiral cut sets. When Saleen made their "416" model S version, they gave it straight cut gears, and the EV1 had them.

Without a transmission redesign, they won't be getting rid of most of that noise - and considering their target market, I doubt they want to. This is the roaring V-12 crowd, so turbine whine from the gears and motors is the best roar they can get.

Yeah, I liked that transmission part. "Two speed, dual clutch gearbox" - meaning it has two sets of fixed gears that are permanently engaged and always spinning, and can clutch either one to the motor. As long as the clutches hold up, it should be reliable - there's not much else to break.

I think I read they zero the torque from the rear motors during the shift? If so, they're probably using dog clutches, which means a failure would just leave you stuck in one gear unless you somehow failed both clutches open or closed. You get a handy parking brake by closing both clutches, too...

It's a good video, but really? It is KARMA (formerly FISKER) that really needs to pay close attention to this. Their interface is absolutely HORRID. But yes, if BMW were to transform the i8 into a proper fully electric Supercar, it would put a whole lot of feathers in their cap.

Another reason BMW should be scared. Little bird told me this was spotted in state employee parking lot with seat adjusted all the way forward.

Bad BMW.jpg