Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The many colors of Midnight Silver

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm very happy with the Midnight Silver Metallic color choice. It was tricky for me because the color looked different in the various photos I've seen. And I had a hard time imagining the little sample in the showroom as a larger piece. Plus the showroom lights often plays tricks on you.

Now that I finally see this color on the car in person, I understand now why it's so hard to capture its true color on camera. The metallic flakes are actually multicolored. Pretty much all the colors of the rainbow are represented, and it's in their average that you get a grayish color, which tends to lean blue under some situations. Here are some shots of the car in various lighting conditions and the resulting color. Camera still doesn't do it justice.

MCyPtU1.jpg

Overcast and rainy

zrIN3uq.jpg

In the garage with blue skies outside. Black Model S in the foreground for comparison. The 3 might as well be the blue color!

7rrpwM9.jpg

Outside in full sun, clear skies

nATM62Z.jpg

Close-up of the different metallic flake colors
nice looking car

Very cool to see that very close up pic, didn't know it had all of those colors. Our first choice was red, but after seeing 100 different pics of red, the red looks like 100 different reds it seems. To want red, I want a very good red that doesn't change. We are moving to Midnight Silver because those changes are actually cool and I like them. The red however looks pale and almost pink at times, other times nice and deep, but I don't like the lighter colors it changes. Thanks for the pics.

And I've been debating between ordering a multi-coat red or pearl white. Leaning towards the white today :rolleyes: since I don't like the red at night as much. I find at night it gets dull and sometimes under certain lights orangy-red. But I really, really love it in bright sun light, which image keeps tugging me back in it's direction. Our MS is Midnight Metalic Silver and find it a sophisticated color with a lot of interesting "shades" to it. Could easily pick that again for our Model 3 but decided we'd opt for something different this go around and not have two of the same. Never had a white car before and can't find too much objectionable although it will probably show dirt easier. If we didn't have the MS already in that color I think I'd be getting the MMS.

It's definitely the most sophisticated colour they have.
I originally ordered my S in this colour, before it came to me in a dream that I should switch to white.
Main reason is that I think the grey looks best in the rain, or at least cloudy, and I'm in Sydney with laser sunlight most of the time :-(

Thanks for the pictures. I'm able to configure now, but haven't been able to choose between black or midnight silver. The $1000 makes the choice quite a bit harder.

I've been driving the same black car since 2002, so I'm not opposed to the color. But I really like the on-line pics of the MS like yours. A friend has a MS model S, but I've only seen it in the late evenings. I need to take a look under the sun.

Go with the midnight silver. Loved that color for the first S, and should have done it again for the second. The irridescent flecks of blue under direct light along with that refined not-quite-charcoal, not-quite-gunmetal characteristic is what made that an easy choice.

I am not a red car guy, but if I was ever to have a red car, it would be that Tesla red.

Wish they had a different blue, although the second blue does seem to be an improvement over the first. Also wish they’d bring back the titanium and the green.

With all of that said, my favorite color so far would have to be a toss-up between the midnight silver and two no longer available colors - the dolphin grey and the signature red.

Which means midnight silver wins :).

Reactions: Asad1087
EFC610E8-EB22-4F8D-80AF-506578D48244.jpeg
E3429EBD-CDE3-4CC0-ABA8-EFD06717F4A3.jpeg
It took me a long time to settle on this color, but after seeing the whole car in the gallery plus these pics, I know it will be a great one to drive around in. I think it is the most sophisticated looking color they have ...
I agree with the Midnight silver color it just has an overall classy color that can mix and look well in different settings. However hav you seen what the xpel stealth wrap does to it? Or the 3M satin gray? Both look pretty interesting so for now I”m undecided to go with one of these wraps.

Reactions: mmccking
I have the MSM with the 19" sport wheels and considering chrome delete. My concern is that with the silver rims, it will look kinda weird. Kinda regret not getting the Aero wheels and removing the cover. What do you all think?

Anyone gotten chrome delete with the sport wheels like to share a pic?

View attachment 324407 View attachment 324408
I agree with the Midnight silver color it just has an overall classy color that can mix and look well in different settings. However hav you seen what the xpel stealth wrap does to it? Or the 3M satin gray? Both look pretty interesting so for now I”m undecided to go with one of these wraps.

MKBHD wrapped his S in Satin Dark Gray. His base color was also MSM. Looks awesome. I'm probably not going to wrap my car, but if I did, that's what I would go with. Here's his vid:

skip to 2:10.

I still can't decide what to do with my MSM P3D- aero coming in a couple weeks.

Going to do to Xpel PPF - can't decide stealth vs ultimate....

Not going to do Tint, want the white interior to show through, and state legal limit it 50%, so can't go dark anyway.

Planning on keeping the chrome as the chrome delete looks too dark to me. Seems like almost everyone that does Stealth also does chrome delete.

Going ultimate/glossy is the lowest risk, as I know exactly what I'm getting coming from a MSM model S.....but part of the appeal of the stealth is that there won't be many cars like it....

Considering putting TST turbines on it for summer (18s or 19s) and using aeros for winters. Was planning on the space gray, but the bright silver of the PUP/PD3+ package looks good too with the glossy/chrome finish and white interior...

I have flipped back and forth so many times on this I'm fairly lost at this point.

Personally, I think the shine of MSM in the dark of night under street lights is beautiful, I'd be kinda a shame to damper that.

As for chrome delete, I feel it's one of those things I can always do later after I get tired of what I have now.

I still can't decide what to do with my MSM P3D- aero coming in a couple weeks.
Not going to do Tint, want the white interior to show through, and state legal limit it 50%, so can't go dark anyway
I am surprised there has not been more discussion about MSM white vs. black interior. That is what I am trying to decide currently. Most of the posts have been about maintenance or lack there of with white seats. But what do people think of MSM with white interior purely from aesthetics perspective? I personally think the combo looks really good, but am worried in community where people don't show off with their cars it will come off too showy.

Once in a while I see a perfectly clean black 3 and I'm jealous, but then I remember how much of a biatch it is to keep a black car looking good. MSM is a nice compromise IMO.

I am surprised there has not been more discussion about MSM white vs. black interior. That is what I am trying to decide currently. Most of the posts have been about maintenance or lack there of with white seats. But what do people think of MSM with white interior purely from aesthetics perspective? I personally think the combo looks really good, but am worried in community where people don't show off with their cars it will come off too showy.
I did white and MSM. I think the colors really complement each other. IMO it's not overly showy at all. (now, I have possible doubts about staining issues, but on pure aesthetics it's great)

Reactions: nvx1977