Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The many colors of Midnight Silver

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

nvx1977

Unknown Member
Nov 25, 2017
NH, MA
I'm very happy with the Midnight Silver Metallic color choice. It was tricky for me because the color looked different in the various photos I've seen. And I had a hard time imagining the little sample in the showroom as a larger piece. Plus the showroom lights often plays tricks on you.

Now that I finally see this color on the car in person, I understand now why it's so hard to capture its true color on camera. The metallic flakes are actually multicolored. Pretty much all the colors of the rainbow are represented, and it's in their average that you get a grayish color, which tends to lean blue under some situations. Here are some shots of the car in various lighting conditions and the resulting color. Camera still doesn't do it justice.

MCyPtU1.jpg

Overcast and rainy

zrIN3uq.jpg

In the garage with blue skies outside. Black Model S in the foreground for comparison. The 3 might as well be the blue color!

7rrpwM9.jpg

Outside in full sun, clear skies

nATM62Z.jpg

Close-up of the different metallic flake colors

The blue hue in the garage lighting when we first brought it home was unexpected, after seeing many Midnight Silver Model S cars around town. My wife likes blues and cool greys so she liked that; I like the color more when the grey shows it's darker side.

Definitely a color with a lot of different moods and personality!

I once spent 3 weeks surrounded by a constantly shifting bunch of Model S. I got to see them next to each other, examine them extensively up-close in varying light, and look at every pair of colors side-by-side.

Midnight Silver was definitely my favorite. Sophisticated, multi-faceted, looked good in both sparse and abundant light, showed off lines well, hid defects fairly well. Only average for hiding dirt well, though.

But funny enough, I recently saw a red, white and midnight Silver 3 next to each other...and I am not so sure midnight Silver looks as good on the 3. Still good, just not as good. I am not sure why. I only saw them in one lighting condition and they weren't terribly clean, and it wasn't for very long, so that may be part of it.

Of course, we can say all we want about our reasons for liking it, but much will still come down to personal preference, including individual connotations.

I agree with these posts. My original choice was blue, but the family members shot that down. MSM seemed to be the only color that did not have major objections. Since then I have liked it more and more. This thread makes me feel even better about the car I configured on 3/22!

Very cool to see that very close up pic, didn't know it had all of those colors. Our first choice was red, but after seeing 100 different pics of red, the red looks like 100 different reds it seems. To want red, I want a very good red that doesn't change. We are moving to Midnight Silver because those changes are actually cool and I like them. The red however looks pale and almost pink at times, other times nice and deep, but I don't like the lighter colors it changes. Thanks for the pics.

Reactions: fseir
I literally called Tesla after seeing this post (and your recent review), and asked them to change my configuration from Black to MSM. They told me it was going to be a $500 change fee, and when I asked why since I hadn't been assigned a VIN yet, she put me on hold to ask her manager. The change fee was waived and I now have my configuration set to Midnight Silver! Thank you very much for your post. I had been torn between deep blue, black and the midnight silver.

Looks beautiful.

I am leaning towards this color myself. For me, the major detriment is how many grey/silver cars I have owned in my lifetime.... and, I already have a grey metallic parked in the garage right next to where this new car would be going.

Spent 40-45 minutes at local service center where they are handing out new 3's. I looked and looked at the colors, and even though I love the midnight silver, it was just too dark for me. Plus, have you driven down the road and seen so many other manufacturers with very similar midnight silver color on their cars????

I am leaning towards this color myself. For me, the major detriment is how many grey/silver cars I have owned in my lifetime.... and, I already have a grey metallic parked in the garage right next to where this new car would be going.

I currently have a charcoal grey BMW 328XI - and your reasoning was the main one why I went with black originally. However, somehow my gut always took me back to the midnight silver. The blue was a very close second. I see your point if it will be next to another grey vehicle, that would throw me off quite a bit. Are you able to configure?

Spent 40-45 minutes at local service center where they are handing out new 3's. I looked and looked at the colors, and even though I love the midnight silver, it was just too dark for me. Plus, have you driven down the road and seen so many other manufacturers with very similar midnight silver color on their cars????

I went to the Toronto dealership to look at other midnight silver MS and noticed it can look blue at times, can look grey, or can look black all depending on the lighting. Giving me the three colours that I was looking into all in one. I think that was the differentiator to me when looking at the other cars on the road.

Reactions: chinnam3 and 03DSG
Great post. This was my first choice but I currently have a Smokey Mica Lexus and have been leaning Blue for something different.

Can someone take the same type of pictures with the other colors, pretty please?

I currently have a charcoal grey BMW 328XI - and your reasoning was the main one why I went with black originally. However, somehow my gut always took me back to the midnight silver. The blue was a very close second. I see your point if it will be next to another grey vehicle, that would throw me off quite a bit. Are you able to configure?

Not yet and even if I were able to I'm waiting for AWD at least until the tax credit is in jeopardy.

I saw the midnight blue in person and just wasn't wowed with it. That was my original choice.

Current ride is white.

My previous one was black. Oh hell no, never ever again. Gorgeous when clean (as in, spotless), gorgeous at night (when clean), ugly as hell the other 95% of the time.

My S is black, and like @voip-ninja said, it looks dirty most of the time. Especially in snowy climes where there is sand and salt on the roads for half the year. I also think Midnight Silver is a tad too dark. But the original pre-refresh MSM was a pretty boring dark gray. Have you all seen MKBHD's vinyl wrap job on his S? I'm tempted to try that out because that's like the perfect shade of dark silver to my eyes. Notably his Model S is originally the new Midnight Silver.

So tempted, but not sure I can bring myself to spend another $2k to wrap the car.

I was down for MC Red but spouse voted MSM and that's how we went. I've noticed the chameleon aspect of the paint and like seeing a bit of blue or green tinting now and again. It's a great version of gunmetal IMO and am happy we got it.
However, our next Tesla will be red, with creme interior, please.