Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The market is so broken

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There are more Teslas at this one dealer than the entire mid-Atlantic Tesla locations combined. And at absurd prices. Also gotta love the $125K to $150K Lightnings and $250K Hummer EV. So many MYLRs with less than 75 miles on them at more than $75K each. Unreal. The market is so broken.
Interesting. I wonder how they got their hands on so many very low mileage EVs.

• Funny
Reactions: doc5339
Not sure what you mean by "broken"?

A retailer is risking his/her own money and paying (top dollar?) for used cars, marking them up, and then reselling them. The sellers win as they get a decent return on their money. The purchasers win as they get a good car, today. (If they don't like the retail price, they don't have to pay it, and can wait in the production queue.)

btw: don't forget that the state of Virginia has been reluctant to allow direct sales.....in other words, state law/regs hinder the EV "market" to protect the local dealerships.

Last edited:
Agree I think the bottom line is that buyers must be willing to pay otherwise they wouldn’t be doing it. It’s the same thing that was going on with GPU last year about this time. You had to get on a wait list, stand in line, or pay scalper prices.

As long as there is a market they will keep doing it. The people paying those prices are the ones to blame for the problem if you ask me.

Reactions: JB47394
Here's another dealer in Virginia with a significant, and high-priced MY inventory. Many with less than 100 miles. I have to think these were purchased by the dealer for resale. With how little inventory is available of ICE cars (or ID.4 in this case) it is hard to believe these were all trade-ins. Of course, this is capitalism, and if buyers are willing to pay, then fine. But history shows, when this type of behavior occurs for long enough, high prices are here to stay.

FWIW, direct sales are allowed in VA, and Tesla has been selling here for years.

Reactions: MyMYLRnw
Here's another dealer in Virginia with a significant, and high-priced MY inventory. Many with less than 100 miles. I have to think these were purchased by the dealer for resale. With how little inventory is available of ICE cars (or ID.4 in this case) it is hard to believe these were all trade-ins. Of course, this is capitalism, and if buyers are willing to pay, then fine. But history shows, when this type of behavior occurs for long enough, high prices are here to stay.

FWIW, direct sales are allowed in VA, and Tesla has been selling here for years.

Huh? Econ 1 shows that high prices will attract more entrants (i.e., manufacturers) over time, unless of course, they are precluded by law or regulation. Just bcos Elon no longer wants to build a $35k EV, doesn't mean that other manufacturers will not.

My wife and I are having this exact discussion about car prices. We know in a couple of years we will need to get another vehicle as we will have a new driver in the house and she will take one of our current vehicles. We are discussing do we add a 2nd EV (Tesla is what I'm pushing for) or do we wait? Are car prices just going to keep going up and up the next few years or will they plateau once this inflation/recession period is over? I can get a Bolt EUV for half the cost of a Model Y, though I know the MY is larger and the Bolt can't use the Tesla Supercharger network. The Supercharger network is what really pulls me to Tesla for getting a second EV. But, the MY will be right near $1000 a month no matter what I look at. Never have I paid that much for a car payment....

Used 2020/2021 Model Ys are going for a few thousand more than what Tesla is selling them for new. We have been looking at two different 2021 MY LRs that the dealer has priced right around $70k. I don't mind ordering a MY LR and if Tesla offers me an SR I would take it. I'm in Texas so who knows.
Ford and Kia are doing stupid dealer markups and tell me that the MSRP is the "suggested" price from the manufacturer. Jerks....

My wife is now spoiled on EVs with our Model 3 SR. I told her we should just get an inexpensive ICE vehicle like a Subaru or another Toyota (other vehicle we have is a hybrid) but she's sold on EVs now. I don't blame her one bit... :)

Reactions: alangold
I know we're in desperate times, but I wonder how many people actually drop so much money over "sticker" price to avoid the long wait? How long do those cars sit before being bought up by someone? Granted, I'm one of the beneficiaries since Tesla is buying back my M3SR+ for more than I paid for it two years and 23K miles ago, but it just makes no sense to me. It's like we're living in a Bizarro world. o_O

I know we're in desperate times, but I wonder how many people actually drop so much money over "sticker" price to avoid the long wait? How long do those cars sit before being bought up by someone? Granted, I'm one of the beneficiaries since Tesla is buying back my M3SR+ for more than I paid for it two years and 23K miles ago, but it just makes no sense to me. It's like we're living in a Bizarro world. o_O
We've discussed trading in our 2021 Model 3 SR+ to get the MY as the space makes more sense for our family of 4, but I really like the Model 3. :). KBB has the trade in value at a good $3-4k above what we initially paid for it with TTL in March of this year.

You think so? I was thinking we would be several years away from inventory being where it was pre pandemic due to the chip shortage.

My prediction is EV's will largely be recession proof due to high demand, and limited production capacity.

Now that being said I would be a bit more cautious timing the purchase of a Model Y due to Tesla's ability to produce them in mass quantity.

My prediction is EV's will largely be recession proof due to high demand, and limited production capacity.

Now that being said I would be a bit more cautious timing the purchase of a Model Y due to Tesla's ability to produce them in mass quantity.
That's something we are considering. Will the Model Y hold it's value long enough to be less depreciative that the typical vehicle is? Especially if I have to take out a longer term loan to purchase one.