Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The MCU2 upgrade is now $1500

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
With the pending recall and mandatory replacement, Tesla might be finding a way to generates some revenue. It may be harder for them to source enough MCU1s as replacements, and won’t cost much more to use updated parts.

Good news, but I bet it's going lower

I think they're realizing they're unable to get enough MCU1s to address a recall in a timely manner. Lowering the MCU2 upgrade price is going to goose their available supply spares to refurbish and put into other cars and reduces the number of cars subject to the recall.

$2000 (I want my radio, man) is still pretty steep.... Plus my car currently has a B2B warranty until june 2023; it'd be annoying if the whole car had a B2B warranty *except* the screen.

I suspect that someone at Tesla is having a code brown over this.

I just called Chase United credit card services for price protection since I had the MCU2 upgrade done 2 months ago.... Price reduction is not a benefit that's covered. Is there anything else that can be done to dispute the difference?

I just called Chase United credit card services for price protection since I had the MCU2 upgrade done 2 months ago.... Price reduction is not a benefit that's covered. Is there anything else that can be done to dispute the difference?
Yeah not much recourses. Most if not all Credit card got rid of the price protection thing way back. There might be a few credit cards who still does have the protection, but not many.

Best bet at this point is contacting Tesla service and hope they refund. However given their balance sheet strength and their TSLA value. I wouldn't be surprised if they gave you the middle finger. But probably in a nicer form like "sorry but we can't do that because ..."

who felt pressured to upgrade for $2,500, before there was a $500 "fix"

Felt pressured?

First people complained that there wasn't an upgrade path, now you complain you felt pressured?

The upgrade option for owners wasn't a fix for the EMMC, it was a path to unlock a faster experience and more features the newer cars have. Poor form to cry wolf here.

Requested the infotainment upgrade with radio in October.

Appointment delayed from November to December and again to January due to backorder on radio module.

They finally got around to doing the upgrade last week - and of course the price dropped.

While that's a little disappointing, these things happen (not just with Tesla - but other companies when they implement price changes)...

And, after waiting for 3 months, finally did get the upgrade on our 2017 S, which we felt was worth spending $3000 (for MCU2, new display and radio).

Just scheduled my upgrade. So glad I waited. I have no doubt this has something to do with the emmc chip fiasco. I personally think that Musk lowered the price to entice more MCU1 owners to do the upgrade so there will be less vehicles to recall, therefore Tesla is now making money off of the issue instead of expending money on chip repairs. Its actually kind of a genius move. There is now a potential that he's going to come out ahead of this recall instead of losing a couple million.

The upgrade option for owners wasn't a fix for the EMMC, it was a path to unlock a faster experience and more features the newer cars have. Poor form to cry wolf here.

But it does fix the EMMC issue by replacement. Of course Tesla is not going to include "proactive replacement of your failing MCU1 EMMC!" in their list of features. What was the price delta between MCU1 and MCU2 replacement? If you're out of warranty and you're likely to be saddled with a bill for a failing part, that cost becomes sunk, and proactively replacing MCU1 with MCU2 is a reasonable course of action to get a bit better performance. To say someone should be fully compensated when there is a less expensive alternative isn't that reasonable, but those who have paid for an MCU1 replacement out of pocket from Tesla will be reimbursed, and some level of compensation is reasonable for MCU2 owners who upgraded before MCU1 was recalled.

Reactions: Saabstory88
I have no doubt this has something to do with the emmc chip fiasco. I personally think that Musk lowered the price to entice more MCU1 owners to do the upgrade so there will be less vehicles to recall, therefore Tesla is now making money off of the issue instead of expending money on chip repairs. Its actually kind of a genius move. There is now a potential that he's going to come out ahead of this recall instead of losing a couple million.

I had a Wrangler before buying my Tesla so upgrading is something I'm use to doing. For me, the MCU upgrade is just that, an upgrade. I would be upgrading it even if my MCU wasn't showing signs of failing. I have an appointment coming up that I was planning on spending $2500 on. Now it's been reduced to $1500! I'm loving that!

I agree that lowering the price is a fantastic move for Tesla. Better to make less on an upgrade than have to payout on a recall. Personally I don't understand why owners wouldn't want to upgrade their MCU. All the comments I've read is that it makes your experience feel like you've upgraded to a newer vehicle.

Reactions: SO16
I had a Wrangler before buying my Tesla so upgrading is something I'm use to doing. For me, the MCU upgrade is just that, an upgrade. I would be upgrading it even if my MCU wasn't showing signs of failing. I have an appointment coming up that I was planning on spending $2500 on. Now it's been reduced to $1500! I'm loving that!

I agree that lowering the price is a fantastic move for Tesla. Better to make less on an upgrade than have to payout on a recall. Personally I don't understand why owners wouldn't want to upgrade their MCU. All the comments I've read is that it makes your experience feel like you've upgraded to a newer vehicle.
The problem is that owners took the $2500 bait for over a year and now want compensation for the same upgrade, essentially, going on "sale". I just dont see that happening. I could see people who had it done within the last 30 days, but before that it will never happen. Really sucks for them (I'd be pissed) but thats commerce. Thats why I didnt upgrade at the 2500 price, that was just too rich for me. 1500 is still very expensive, but within my means and want for the updgrade. Plus I just sold some arachnids so big win for me.

Yeah, everyone should call and demand a refund. While you're at it you should also call and demand a refund because they lowered the price of the car itself after you bought. They owe you a higher range battery pack and better suspension too.

This will teach them to keep lowering cost and passing those savings along to us customers through lower prices!

/sarcasm

This seems to be standard Tesla practice, everything gets cheaper as time moves on, much like TVs, computers, etc. It almost makes me reconsider my preorder for the Plaid, as I'm concerned about what price drops may happen (there WILL be price drops), but I can just hope they give me a little bit of time to enjoy it first, haha.

Woohoo! I am scheduled.

Does anyone know if this upgrade replaces the touchscreen also? I have a leaky touchscreen and it would be nice if this fixed it.

Yes this. I want to know if they replace the touchscreen. I read on another thread that SCs offered discounts if you kept your existing touchscreen. If I'm paying big bucks I want everything new.

I got it done 3 weeks ago after seeing a message on screen "Center Display storage device degraded - Ok to drive - Use mobile app to schedule service". I wish the message also said "We are going to drop the prices in 2 weeks if you want to wait". Obviously I had the choice to get the MCU1 fixed for free, but had I knew this I would have definitely waited.

I still hope they refund the difference as per the FAQ #31
Warranty Adjustment Program
If you paid for Tesla’s Infotainment Upgrade after Tesla Service diagnosed that your vehicle’s eMMC was malfunctioning due to accumulated wear, you may be eligible for reimbursement up to the cost of the 8GB eMMC repair available at the time of your upgrade.

More information on reimbursement eligibility, terms and conditions, and how to request reimbursements will be available by or before February 2021.

Status
Not open for further replies.