Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The MCU2 upgrade is now $1500

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Personally I don't understand why owners wouldn't want to upgrade their MCU.
When I bought my car it worked fine (except the browser which never worked) and had a nice interface. OTA updates changed that. I don’t need my car to play games, I have a phone, a tablet and computers that I can use to play games in the car if I want. And contrary to Elon’s beliefs, I don’t need my car to make fart noises, I can drive through Taco Bell and get them for $5 anytime.

When I bought my car it worked fine (except the browser which never worked) and had a nice interface. OTA updates changed that. I don’t need my car to play games, I have a phone, a tablet and computers that I can use to play games in the car if I want. And contrary to Elon’s beliefs, I don’t need my car to make fart noises, I can drive through Taco Bell and get them for $5 anytime.
I have to say I'm with you on this - yes, maps can be slow sometimes, however for all the important car settings, Navigation and Autopilot works perfectly fine. Even voice commands work very well most of the time. I honestly don't see the need to go to MCU2 on an AP1 car. I have no need for the browser in the car - that's what my phone is for. I couldn't care less about Netflix, games etc.

I haven't noticed anything that is broken because of OTA updates (other than the browser).

I don't really see what I'm missing in MCU1 that is important.

Last edited:
In some jurisdictions, this is required for them to offer and it is referred to as a "core charge". They have to offer this as an option legally, but it is up to them to determine the reasonable cost to return the part to you.

Doesn't the core charge need to be indicated initially as part of the offered price? When I buy an alternator, it says $100 after $40 core charge.

Nothing on any Tesla page mentions any kind of core charge. If I show up with a dead MCU1 with a bad core, will they charge me more?

Personally, I am going to make them first do the recall, then do the MCU2 upgrade, and then take them to small claims court. I paid for features like voice commands, a usable navigation system, and Autopilot, all which worked fine when I bought the car, and now are highly inconsistent. Tesla says I can either wait for an indefinite time for a software update to fix these, or buy MCU2. In other words, Tesla knows how to fix this under warranty, they just refuse. That's a pretty clear cut case.

Tesla's smart call here in the USA where the recall is coming is to say "we can either recall your MCU1 unit for free, or do a MCU2 for $1000. If you refuse the upgrade, a future upgrade is $1500 after the recall."

• Funny
Reactions: bhzmark
For what it's worth, I took my car in for the upgrade yesterday, the day the price changed. I'm picking it up today and I asked whether I would get the new price. The service advisor replied that since I was still in service, I would get the new price. This indicates to me that if you've paid and driven away, they are not going to do anything for you. In a normal sales environment, most companies would offer you the same discount if you were a within a couple of days, but I guess where to draw the line is the dilemma....

Also, they seem to be automatically upgrading the driving computer to HW3 as well, so you get that even if you haven't purchased FSD. The part number for the replacement part indicates Intel/HW3 together on one line and the tech confirmed it to me when I dropped it off.

For what it's worth, I took my car in for the upgrade yesterday, the day the price changed. I'm picking it up today and I asked whether I would get the new price. The service advisor replied that since I was still in service, I would get the new price. This indicates to me that if you've paid and driven away, they are not going to do anything for you. In a normal sales environment, most companies would offer you the same discount if you were a within a couple of days, but I guess where to draw the line is the dilemma....

Also, they seem to be automatically upgrading the driving computer to HW3 as well, so you get that even if you haven't purchased FSD. The part number for the replacement part indicates Intel/HW3 together on one line and the tech confirmed it to me when I dropped it off.
Do you mind posting a pic of your invoice showing the work they did (not including your private information of course)

I'm curious to know if the computer would also be replaced on a car like mine - June 2016 build with AP1.

I'm curious to know if the computer would also be replaced on a car like mine - June 2016 build with AP1.

It won't. They can't update AP1 to AP2 (HW2, 2.5, or 3). It uses completely new cameras and wiring in the car. Your car does most of the AP right up in the camera housing on the windshield.
HW2 to HW3 is just a computer replacement for cars that were built in the factory as AP2 cars.

They're likely doing this because for all cars from October 2016, they advertised "includes all hardware needed for full self driving" Well, cars sold 2016-2019 didn't actually have that (and cars today likely don't either) so they have to upgrade them for free. Given the Elon mention of subscription based FSD, they're going to have to upgrade basically all the cars anyway, so why not do it when the dash is already apart? Also, just like MCU1 vs MCU2, they use totally different processors, so if they can get rid of the HW2/2.5, they can stop writing software for two platforms.

A June 2016 car was never advertised as this, so they don't owe this to AP1 customers.

This is uncharacteristically forward looking for Tesla.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: SilverGS

I think most companies offer a 30 day price guarantee on most sales. I think that is somewhat reasonable but unlikely to happen with Tesla. Anything outside of 30 days I wouldnt even bother to ask them.

I have to say I'm with you on this - yes, maps can be slow sometimes, however for all the important car settings, Navigation and Autopilot works perfectly fine. Even voice commands work very well most of the time. I honestly don't see the need to go to MCU2 on an AP1 car. I have no need for the browser in the car - that's what my phone is for. I couldn't care less about Netflix, games etc.

I haven't noticed anything that is broken because of OTA updates (other than the browser).

I don't really see what I'm missing in MCU1 that is important.

Since I have HW 2.0 and I bought Autopilot with FSD during the fire sale all for 5k, I’m definitely upgrading to MCU2 this spring. I haven’t rushed it yet because FSD hasn’t been rolled out yet.

My MCU1 still works just fine (other than a slow browser). So if I had an AP1 or earlier car, I wouldn’t upgrade either. So far I don’t even need the EMMC fix.

Reactions: SilverGS
I'm in an odd situation where my car is getting sick but I've got a B2B warranty until june 2023; I'd be okay(ish) with getting the MCU2 + radio at the asking price, if the replacement continued to fall under the b2b warranty.

I suspect if they had an abundance of parts they'd have swapped mine out -- it works(ish) most of the time, unless my wife is in the car.

Okay so I made an appointment. Traded some messages back and forth. Asked what the wait time on part is...

Then I see another notification and it's gone! There is a notification for a message with no way to read it. Tesla doesn't believe in phones so there's no way to call them. I guess I could tweet at Elon Musk.

Clearly Tesla's service department was thought up by a team of elite geniuses.

Then I see another notification and it's gone! There is a notification for a message with no way to read it. Tesla doesn't believe in phones so there's no way to call them.

I think they run the appointment system on MCU1 and use the programmers that are no longer maintaining it to write the appointment software.

HI all,

I paid $2500 for the MCU upgrade about 4 months ago, and I'm not going to complain about that. I knew the price and elected to pay it at the time for the features I would get. HOWEVER, the option to keep FM/XM radio was not available then, so I have no FM/XM radio and have been wanting to do the $500 upgrade to get my radio function back

What do you guys think are the chances of that option going down in price in the future also? It seem like if they get forced to do a recall, the recall fix can't take away their radio because that was existing functionality. It's not like the MCU upgrade where we CHOOSE to do it knowing we would lose the radio.

Any thoughts on this?

HI all,

I paid $2500 for the MCU upgrade about 4 months ago, and I'm not going to complain about that. I knew the price and elected to pay it at the time for the features I would get. HOWEVER, the option to keep FM/XM radio was not available then, so I have no FM/XM radio and have been wanting to do the $500 upgrade to get my radio function back

What do you guys think are the chances of that option going down in price in the future also? It seem like if they get forced to do a recall, the recall fix can't take away their radio because that was existing functionality. It's not like the MCU upgrade where we CHOOSE to do it knowing we would lose the radio.

Any thoughts on this?

@boaterva - didn’t you just get the FM module installed for “free”? Perhaps as a goodwill gesture, Tesla is doing the FM tuner install at no charge for those that paid $2,500 for the MCU2 upgrade?

Status
Not open for further replies.