Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The MCU2 upgrade is now $1500

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think they run the appointment system on MCU1 and use the programmers that are no longer maintaining it to write the appointment software.

Good God. I'm starting to see why everyone absolutely despises Tesla's service.

If I had to go through this with a real problem like broken drive unit I'd be pulling my hair out.

Do you mind posting a pic of your invoice showing the work they did (not including your private information of course)

I'm curious to know if the computer would also be replaced on a car like mine - June 2016 build with AP1.

As mentioned in the other reply, I believe kits are only available for AP2.0 and AP2.5 cars. For what its worth, the part number quoted for my AP2.5 card was

MCU INTEL HW3 UPGRADE-For TegraAP2.5- NA Part #: 9874561-00-A

There is another part number for the AP2.0 cars. I think the harness might be different. I made the appointment just over a week ago and my appointment was yesterday, so there appears to be no shortage of the part. There probably will be now, now that the price is reduced!

I've picked it up and everything is as expected. It's nice to have a working browser and zippy screen navigation, etc. I don't have FSD, but the EAP autopilot appears smoother with HW3 (though it could also be newer software). Speed limit signs are shown as well. The LTE radio also appears better than my old one. The loaner I got had an MCU 2, so I already had a taste of it before I picked mine up. No issues with dark backup camera or anything. They were able to back up all my settings except for Web favorites, and my saved Wifi. My Homelink devices were still there but didn't work and I had to re-program them again. The only issue I have, and this may not be related to the HW upgrade, is that the brightness of the drivers display is darker than the main console. This appears to be a 2020.48.30 issue, as the loaner I had had the same issue. In night mode, I think it's too dim. And if you increase the brightness, then the main console is too bright. Hopefully they can address that with a software upgrade.

For AP2.0 or AP2.5 owners, I can certainly recommend the upgrade, especially at $1500. It includes the latest current Autopilot computer, so it really is a bargain even if you didn't buy FSD (yet). Now, if they do have a pay-per-use FSD option, at least your car can use it.

FYI, the car details now reports the Autopilot computer as 'Full Self Driving', not HW3. It used to say '2.5 Computer'. And the Infotainment processor is now reported as 'Intel' instead of 'Nvidia Tegra'

• Helpful
  • Informative
Reactions: Cowby and SilverGS
Now, if they do have a pay-per-use FSD option, at least your car can use it.

They'll have a class action on their hands in 30 seconds if they don't offer HW3 upgrades for free the instant they offer pay per use/subscription FSD. Every AP2 car has been advertised as having all HW needed for FSD. This is the only reason they are installing HW3 at the same time as MCU2- they weren't doing this in the past.

Speaking of which, just how many people have actually had HW3 installed alongside MCU2 when you didn't have FSD already purchased? I've only seen one mention of that so far.

Last edited:
Speaking of which, just how many people have actually had HW3 installed alongside MCU2 when you didn't have FSD already purchased? I've only seen one mention of that so far.

In talking to the service advisor, it's standard practice now, whether you purchased FSD or not. I didn't know that was the case until I saw the estimate invoice with that part number, so it was a nice surprise. It was nice to get new MCU and HW3 at $2500, but even nicer for $1500.

@boaterva possible to upload a redacted version of the invoice showing FM module as "free" or "goodwill service" install? I can try to have my local service center to match it.
I’ll see what I can do but my theory is that Premium Audio cars get it for free. I’ve seen several others mention that and there was no special notation of good will or other special pricing. I doubt an invoice copy will help anyone.

I’ll see what I can do but my theory is that Premium Audio cars get it for free. I’ve seen several others mention that and there was no special notation of good will or other special pricing. I doubt an invoice copy will help anyone.

I’ve Premium Audio in my Model S however it seems like I’ll be paying normal $500 upgrade cost (spoke with service team). However the local service center manager has honored the pricing if I show them the invoice (did in the past).

Truly appreciate if you can find the copy!

I’ve Premium Audio in my Model S however it seems like I’ll be paying normal $500 upgrade cost (spoke with service team). However the local service center manager has honored the pricing if I show them the invoice (did in the past).

Truly appreciate if you can find the copy!

yes please that would be a big help. I have premium audio so it would be nice

If you paid with AMEX call them second, if no luck with Tesla. They have price protections and might offer some relief.
I pay with Discover. They use to have a protection like that but not anymore. I was at the crevice center today and they told me they cannot replace it with the new one. Also the price of the refurbish MC1 still 1135$ compare to 1500 for the new one

Prices change, that's just life. I happily paid $2,500 for my upgrade and have been enjoying it for months. On the flip side, I only paid $4,260 for FSD and now the price is $10k. If I'm that they won't refund $1,000 from 6 months ago, Tesla could be ticked that I have not paid them the extra $5,740.
Apples to oranges. Many owners with FSD and MCU1 encountered serious issues on a regular basis that, prior to the 64GB upgrade "solution", were not addressed consistently or satisfactorily. Many of us were getting the run around and completely different answers, depending on our SC. It is still unknown whether even the upgraded daughterboard and/or 64GB fix will run FSD beta (I'll take a wild guess on that one). During my last phone call with remote service, I could almost hear the relief in the voice of the tech when I asked about MCU2. He closed out my ongoing MCU1 ticket quicker than you could say "Elon" :rolleyes:

Reactions: N8Howell33
I have a late 2014 S, November, it is the same thing as a 2015. I have I assume first gen autopilot.

I have an appointment with the service center and I know form the last time that they are going to be replacing the MCU again. Same problems as before. I'm under warranty. If they replace it, does anyone know, do they replace it with another MCU1? Or are they scrapping those and going to MCU2? Last time around I tried to get a MCU2, said I'd pay for it, but they were not yet doing it. I assume they are now.

Every time I post that I'm under warranty people ask me how. I bought it from Tesla in August or so 2019, it came with a two year 60K mile warranty. Car only had 40K on it. And I bought it three days before they cut off free supercharging on used cars:) I have the free streaming, too, if that matters.

Reactions: FlatSix911
Status
Not open for further replies.