Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The media is not the enemy

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don’t know if everyone realizes that Electrek is not true journalism, but a Tesla fan site run by people who own Tesla stocks and use the site to win referral prizes like Roadsters. The same is true for Teslarati (obviously), and CleanTechnica. It’s in the financial self-interest of these fan sites to write positive stuff about Tesla, and they probably would do it anyway because they’re Tesla fans. Same goes for all the Tesla podcasts and YouTube channels.

I read Electrek pretty much every day because it provides a useful service. If anything of interest happens related to Tesla or EVs, it will be on Electrek. That is extremely useful. I can check one site and get all the news, even the minutae no one else covers. Due to its prominence in the Tesla community, Electrek also sometimes gets leaks. But Electrek is not journalism. It’s from the perspective of a fan and an investor.

I bring this up because I think folks are looking at Electrek as the model of how journalists should cover Tesla. It’s not. Journalism is the Fourth Estate. Being a journalist is different from being a fan or investor. It requires having no conflict of interest. It requires you to be more circumspect, and critical. It’s a different job than writing for a fan site, or arguing a bull thesis for Tesla.

Granted, there is a lot of frustrating coverage of Tesla. My theory is that Tesla draws an immense amount of attention because it is so beloved, so exciting to so many, and do potentially disruptive to the auto industry. In the tech industry, Elon is one of the most esteemed CEOs and Tesla is one of the most esteemed companies. Tesla has a passionate fan base that stuns outsiders. The technology Tesla is working on is just inherently interesting. All this draws a huge amount of attention, and with that attention comes scrutiny and criticism.

Part of journalism’s job as the Fourth Estate is to scrutinize and criticize. Journalism also arguably has an undue bias toward the negative, with some research finding that media coverage has gotten more negative in the last 50 years. I remember Steven Pinker mentioned a study that found editors were more likely to choose a story if it gave a negative framing, rather than a positive or neutral framing, to the same set of facts.

With attention, also comes haters. Tesla is held up as an example of good capitalism. So anti-capitalists and skeptics of capitalism find fault with Tesla in order to argue it’s just another example of bad capitalism — because all capitalism is bad capitalism. Tesla is not the target of this criticism because it’s the worst example of capitalism, but because many people believe it’s one of the best.

Similarly, some car enthusiasts and auto journalists get annoyed by everyone singing Tesla’s praises and talking about Tesla all the time, so they get grumpy about it. They aren’t enthused about this precocious, arrogant new kid on the block who thinks it knows better than everyone else. The hype is too much. Tesla has indeed stumbled as a new car company even while trash talking the rest of the industry. But it also has genuinely innovated in surprising ways and shaken other companies out of their complacency.

Then there’s just the fact that for every party, there is someone who wants to rain on it. On the benign side, it’s more fun to watch a CinemaSins video than a video about why someone loved a movie. It can be fun to criticize. There are also people who (somewhat annoyingly) just like being contrarian. On the darker side, a lot of people are pessimistic, cynical, angry, exhausted, and depressed. They are negative because that is part of their life experience.

In the investment world, there are two philosophies. One philosophy abhors dependence on outside capital, and thinks it’s a basic requirement of any business to be profitable and self-sustaining. Another philosophy believes in accelerating growth with outside capital. Wall Street seems to lean toward the former, whereas Silicon Valley fully embraces the latter. Tesla’s high valuation and dependence on outside capital has made it controversial in the investing world.

All of these are ways that people react against hype and excitement. It’s backlash. Tesla isn’t being singled out because people, just out of the blue, thinks it’s bad. It’s a response to how much enthusiasm there is about Tesla.

People want to believe that negativity about Tesla is orchestrated from behind a billowy black curtain. It’s the simplest kind of story to tell: bad people are planning a bad thing! Goes back to our evolutionary ancestry. Explaining a problem in terms of an abstract phenomenon is hard and confusing by comparison (and you don’t get the satisfaction of having someone to blame and fight against).

There is a principled argument to be made about Tesla coverage, and broader themes of systemic bias in media coverage around negativity, status quo bias, statistics, balance, empathy, and so on. Then there are people who are mad at journalists and treat them aggressively because they are doing journalism and not running a Tesla fan site. Journalists who are actually doing really good journalism, and have a positive view of Tesla. There are people who want every site to be Electrek, and who are convinced the media must be up to something because that isn’t the case. This is madness. This is going too far.

The media is not the enemy. Bloomberg isn’t evil. Abusing journalists on Twitter is terrible behaviour. There is no secret plot involving every major news outlet in the world. There is no crooked media. There is just journalism, with its own set of problems.

Journalists, and their outlets, apply filters. You correctly ID'd Electrek as an outlet with skin in the game. Thus, not entirely reliable, but still useful. CNBC has a filter. Not entirely reliable, but still useful. When the filter becomes ridiculously dark, or bright, then the outlet becomes useless and ignorable. Seeking Alpha falls into that category for me. Not worth my time. Too much noise. Not enough signal.
That's why I like to use lots of media sources to inform an opinion. You kind of build up a reasonable composite picture, not too light, not too dark. Maybe even accurate.
Robin

Reactions: durkie and brkaus
All valid observations if in fact the “journalism is in fact objective. Starting with Broder and progression to today’s financial times article on chairman candidates, the level of inaccuracies coupled with obvious instances of conveniently leaving out readily available facts relevant to an articles subject as well as selective use of interviews while not publishing transcripts of the interview as supporting documentation is clearly demonstrative of biased and subjective authorship as opposed to “journalism”.

Of course Elecktrek and other Tesla sites are not traditional journalism. Sadly, neither are traditional media outlets due to their for profit business model that is obviously influenced more by $$ for attention rather than journalistic integrity.

Fire Away!

Reactions: EinSV and brkaus
I don’t know if everyone realizes that Electrek is not true journalism, but a Tesla fan site run by people who own Tesla stocks and use the site to win referral prizes like Roadsters. The same is true for Teslarati (obviously), and CleanTechnica. It’s in the financial self-interest of these fan sites to write positive stuff about Tesla, and they probably would do it anyway because they’re Tesla fans. Same goes for all the Tesla podcasts and YouTube channels.

I read Electrek pretty much every day because it provides a useful service. If anything of interest happens related to Tesla or EVs, it will be on Electrek. That is extremely useful. I can check one site and get all the news, even the minutae no one else covers. Due to its prominence in the Tesla community, Electrek also sometimes gets leaks. But Electrek is not journalism. It’s from the perspective of a fan and an investor.

I bring this up because I think folks are looking at Electrek as the model of how journalists should cover Tesla. It’s not. Journalism is the Fourth Estate. Being a journalist is different from being a fan or investor. It requires having no conflict of interest. It requires you to be more circumspect, and critical. It’s a different job than writing for a fan site, or arguing a bull thesis for Tesla.

Granted, there is a lot of frustrating coverage of Tesla. My theory is that Tesla draws an immense amount of attention because it is so beloved, so exciting to so many, and do potentially disruptive to the auto industry. In the tech industry, Elon is one of the most esteemed CEOs and Tesla is one of the most esteemed companies. Tesla has a passionate fan base that stuns outsiders. The technology Tesla is working on is just inherently interesting. All this draws a huge amount of attention, and with that attention comes scrutiny and criticism.

Part of journalism’s job as the Fourth Estate is to scrutinize and criticize. Journalism also arguably has an undue bias toward the negative, with some research finding that media coverage has gotten more negative in the last 50 years. I remember Steven Pinker mentioned a study that found editors were more likely to choose a story if it gave a negative framing, rather than a positive or neutral framing, to the same set of facts.

With attention, also comes haters. Tesla is held up as an example of good capitalism. So anti-capitalists and skeptics of capitalism find fault with Tesla in order to argue it’s just another example of bad capitalism — because all capitalism is bad capitalism. Tesla is not the target of this criticism because it’s the worst example of capitalism, but because many people believe it’s one of the best.

Similarly, some car enthusiasts and auto journalists get annoyed by everyone singing Tesla’s praises and talking about Tesla all the time, so they get grumpy about it. They aren’t enthused about this precocious, arrogant new kid on the block who thinks it knows better than everyone else. The hype is too much. Tesla has indeed stumbled as a new car company even while trash talking the rest of the industry. But it also has genuinely innovated in surprising ways and shaken other companies out of their complacency.

Then there’s just the fact that for every party, there is someone who wants to rain on it. On the benign side, it’s more fun to watch a CinemaSins video than a video about why someone loved a movie. It can be fun to criticize. There are also people who (somewhat annoyingly) just like being contrarian. On the darker side, a lot of people are pessimistic, cynical, angry, exhausted, and depressed. They are negative because that is part of their life experience.

In the investment world, there are two philosophies. One philosophy abhors dependence on outside capital, and thinks it’s a basic requirement of any business to be profitable and self-sustaining. Another philosophy believes in accelerating growth with outside capital. Wall Street seems to lean toward the former, whereas Silicon Valley fully embraces the latter. Tesla’s high valuation and dependence on outside capital has made it controversial in the investing world.

All of these are ways that people react against hype and excitement. It’s backlash. Tesla isn’t being singled out because people, just out of the blue, thinks it’s bad. It’s a response to how much enthusiasm there is about Tesla.

People want to believe that negativity about Tesla is orchestrated from behind a billowy black curtain. It’s the simplest kind of story to tell: bad people are planning a bad thing! Goes back to our evolutionary ancestry. Explaining a problem in terms of an abstract phenomenon is hard and confusing by comparison (and you don’t get the satisfaction of having someone to blame and fight against).

There is a principled argument to be made about Tesla coverage, and broader themes of systemic bias in media coverage around negativity, status quo bias, statistics, balance, empathy, and so on. Then there are people who are mad at journalists and treat them aggressively because they are doing journalism and not running a Tesla fan site. Journalists who are actually doing really good journalism, and have a positive view of Tesla. There are people who want every site to be Electrek, and who are convinced the media must be up to something because that isn’t the case. This is madness. This is going too far.

The media is not the enemy. Bloomberg isn’t evil. Abusing journalists on Twitter is terrible behaviour. There is no secret plot involving every major news outlet in the world. There is no crooked media. There is just journalism, with its own set of problems.

I agree with you on Electrek et al, and disagree on Bloomberg et al. My standard for trustworthy journalism is a little different: if I catch a publication being intentionally misleading, even just once, they’re dead to me(note: this doesn’t include a single journalist working for them getting caught making stuff up and being fired for it). Of the mainstream sources, that pretty much leaves just NPR as trustworthy, in my estimation. I don’t listen to people who are actively trying to harm me by misleading me.

In 100% of media events that I had even the smallest bit of personal insight in before or after, it turned out being sensationalist garbage that had nothing to do with the event on hand.

e.g. Take this New York times article from October 1:
Unraveling a Tesla Mystery: Lots (and Lots) of Parked Cars

100 vehicles delivered to "Bellevue" Sears, for delivery a few weeks ago. (It was actually Redmond, not Bellevue, but whatever). The Bellevue Tesla store is relatively small, and the Sears parking lot is nearby and unused. So Tesla delivered cars there, and moved them to the store over the next couple of days as customers came and picked them up from Tesla. Innocent enough, right?

But what does the New York times report about it?

"Is demand softer than it looks?"
"Are there quality or parts issues?"
"Photos posted online on Sunday show hoods open, possibly indicating maintenance work."

This is the freakin New York Times. Not Electrek or it's evil twin. The New York Times. You just need to know a little about Tesla to know that especially the last statement is absolute crap. Or live around here to know that the first two are. But most people don't know that, so they eat this stuff up.

It's how E.R or Grey's Anatomy totally makes sense if you're not a medical professional. But if you are, you recognize it for what it is.

Unfortunately the new yardstick for credibility is: "Would readers find this believable?" Not "is it factually accurate", but "is it believable".

And don't get me started on media coverage of light airplane crashes. Those make Tesla articles look like peer-reviewed PhD thesis's in comparison...

Last edited:
Below is a particularly funny report on a crash landing. Obviously the pilot had some fun at the reporters expense, and most people on this site are probably old enough to figure out how.

But just look at the low quality of research that obviously went into this and in turn how seriously it was delivered. It looks like any other news segment that you see 100s of times per month, right? Now imagine if it was a topic that you DIDN'T have any background on.

This is a unbiased news agency after all, right? Not Electrek. Surely they must be checking their facts before reporting on it, right?

Last edited:

stop creating nonsense new threads every day. the media has sucked and will continue to suck until they decide to stop being paid puppets and start actually researching and reporting the truth again. end of story.

Reactions: SPadival
stop creating nonsense new threads every day. the media has sucked and will continue to suck until they decide to stop being paid puppets and start actually researching and reporting the truth again. end of story.

dog is a bit salty, but, quite on point, lols

(well, leaving out the bit about threads OP creates... I haven't been paying attention, and have no opinion on that)

dog is a bit salty, but, quite on point, lols

(well, leaving out the bit about threads OP creates... I haven't been paying attention, and have no opinion on that)

ahhhh sorry. more directed at everyone about all the new threads about stuff that doesnt matter much. i shouldn’t be allowed to post on days the mkt drops this much :/

btw boomer missing @SteveG3 posts/insights. mkt action has become inundated over the last few months :/

ahhhh sorry. more directed at everyone about all the new threads about stuff that doesnt matter much. i shouldn’t be allowed to post on days the mkt drops this much :/

btw boomer missing @SteveG3 posts/insights. mkt action has become inundated over the last few months :/

you’re good there, and cleared up for OP.

yup, so many posts to read, I did cut back some here.

hang in there. Q3 cash flow is all but certain to be far better than doom/gloom. maybe a few hundred million positive. most media will ignore that they were crazy far off, and spin, but cash crunch false narrative will just be that much harder to sell.

Reactions: Boomer19
Seeking Alpha falls into that category for me. Not worth my time. Too much noise. Not enough signal.

Seeking Alpha is not journalism! It’s closer to TMC than it is to Bloomberg. Think of it like a strictly moderated message board for opinions on stocks.

Of course Elecktrek and other Tesla sites are not traditional journalism. Sadly, neither are traditional media outlets due to their for profit business model that is obviously influenced more by $$ for attention rather than journalistic integrity.

Electrek is for-profit! Its business model is purely clicks and attention — plus bonuses like free Roadsters — whereas Bloomberg or the New York Times mostly rely on subscription revenue. I wouldn’t say Electrek has journalistic integrity, or that it’s even journalism. It’s a fan site. Owning stock in a company you cover, and getting free cars from that company because of your coverage — that’s certainly not journalistic integrity.

"Photos posted online on Sunday show hoods open, possibly indicating maintenance work."

This is the freakin New York Times.

That New York Times article is bad. Painfully bad. I can’t believe that got published. The “hoods open” thing is bad, but the worst part is that the NYT didn’t bother to do any work to verify whether the story it was reporting was complete nonsense or not. All you would have to do is photograph the same parking lot from the same angle three days in a row. Do the colours of the cars change? That’s how you know whether cars are just sitting there, or are in transit.

I guess for me when someone like that gets published in the New York Times it’s shocking, whereas the same thing published on a less reputable site like, say, Business Insider, wouldn’t really surprise me as much, although it would still make me mad. The exception for the New York Times is the rule for other outlets.

i shouldn’t be allowed to post on days the mkt drops this much :/

What’s a dog doing investing in stocks?? AND driving a car?!?! Mamma mia! :eek:

Q3 cash flow

giphy.gif

Last edited:

Sure, you can say that about journalism, but honestly very little journalism occurs anymore. For today's media outlet, it's more about sensationalism. It has all become who can get more clicks, both online and broadcast media. The aviation industry has been a great example of this over the years, and Tesla is in pretty much the same place. A plane crashes with 2 people who survived and it becomes national news. But yet, I believe that my state, Georgia is now over 1,000 driving fatalities. Which really is the most important to report on?

Newspapers, because of their slow ability to publish, do seem to probably one of the last groups who try to focus on journalism as opposed to sensationalism. While they can still be very biased, they don't make their living on clicks or sound bites.

Reactions: Yuri_G
Auto manufacturers are some of the largest and most consistent advertisers in mainstream media. If it were Tesla’s latest model that just went on stop sale due to battery fires like the Lightning, most mainstream media would be hysterical - trumpeting it from the rooftops, blaming Elon for being distracted by Twitter etc etc. Because it’s Ford, it will no doubt remain calm and factual. This tells you all you need to know about “journalism”, especially when it comes to cars.

Hard to react to your post since I would have to give you some disagrees and some agrees at the same time.

I agree with you in the sense that journalism has its own set of problems: they SHOULD in theory be objective and critical, trying to find "the truth" in every story. However they don't, because:
- they have conflicting interests with the people who pay them (advertising etc. This is no different than Electrek and the like);
- they don't spend/have enough time researching the topics they cover
- they cover topics they don't understand (which is unethical IMO).

I could go on, but I disagree with you in the sense that you find fault in Fred Lamberts style but you don't see issues with (or minimize the issues of) Bloomberg and others that spew rumours like they are fact without source checking or without proper research.

I understand WHY the mainstream news media acts like it does (they need advertising revenue and lots of clicks, as many short different sensational articles as possible instead of longer detailed pieces looking at all angles of a story), but that doens't make them "not evil". It all depends on your definition of evil. But if you define evil as "putting your own profits ahead of the truth" than I find them unethical at the least and evil at the most. Since they are (self--proclaimed) journalists, which SHOULD have an ethical code.

So whilst I agree the media is not specifically targeting Tesla because they want to see Tesla burn, they ARE specifically putting Tesla in a bad light because:
- it helps their advertising income;
- it creates clicks = profit;
- they don't care they damage others to keep profits going.

In this sense the sites you mention (Electrek, Cleantechnica and Teslarati) are MUCH more ethical and actually more alike to true journalists than the "mainstream media".

But if you want to truly find the truth on a topic yourself, you have to do your own research and you can't rely on any one source. That's the sad truth of the current state of affairs. The bright side is that the internet has provided each and every one of us with the tools to research topics better than ever. (provided you know HOW to research, that's a skill one needs to learn as soon as possible in this day and age. Not all are properly instructed in this regard.)