TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

The Missing Link!

Discussion in 'Southeast' started by flyeyes, May 11, 2016.

1. flyeyes

flyeyes Member

On supercharge.info Miner, MO is now permitted. This appears to be the north side of Sikeston, and will free those of us in the center of the Supercharger Desert to travel north. This is huge.

It still doesn't help those who live in St Louis or Chicago to cross the desert to the south without overnighting in Memphis, but it really opens up the entire Midwest from Memphis.

I literally had a conversation with my son about an hour ago about our annual trip to Oshkosh, WI in late July. We usually fly, but had talked about taking the tesla this year. I told him it probably wouldn't work without stopping for several hours each way at a trailer park, which probably wasn't worth the hassle. I need to go upstairs now and tell him the tesla trip might actually work ;)

2. thx1139

thx1139 Member

We did Chicago to Little Rock last year with an overnight stay in Sikeston (car charged at Trailer park) and a few hour stopover in Memphis for BBQ and exercise. Going home wasnt as much fun. By the time we got to Sikeston it was very late and had to go slow to make it with 7% left (It was raining all the time from Little Rock). By the time we woke up in the AM and had to go we didnt have enough charge to goto Effingham so had to go through St. Louis. Will be much easier this year and likely Memphis will be coming very soon.

3. Drucifer

Drucifer Active Member

I would fly to Oshkosh, if it is for the EAA Airventure, but that's me.

4. flyeyes

flyeyes Member

I would for a first trip, but I've been about twenty times. I mostly fly, and have flown into the show in Aircraft ranging from a Lockwood AirCam to a BE-200. I've flown two different homebuilts in, and even arrived by airliner once in the 80's. I've also gone into Fond du Lac and Appleton. I've camped a bunch, driven once in a borrowed motorhome, and these days usually stay with friends north of Milwaukee.

The Tesla would be a new adventure. I told my son that if we took the Tesla that instead of the 250 gallons or so of jet fuel plus car rental we bought last year for the trip we could spend the money on stuff we could bring home in the car. He rolled his eyes and said "Like you wouldn't buy the stuff anyway..."

• Like x 1
  5. Drucifer

Drucifer Active Member

I have toyed with going over the years. I used to own a Mooney, but haven't owned or partnered in an aircraft for the last 8 years.

6. flyeyes

flyeyes Member

You should absolutely go. Everybody with even a passing interest in aviation would enjoy it, and every pilot should make the pilgrimage at least once.

If you don't mind camping, you can just show up with no prior arrangements. The infrastructure is really good, with showers, porta potties, and food.

It really is an amazing spectacle, pm if you want specific advice.

7. flyeyes

flyeyes Member

And... Construction :D

It seems that construction is usually complete in 3-4 weeks, so there is now a virtual certainty I can drive to Oshkosh this year.

Th only direction we're still blocked now is to the west, and feelers are coming east from Dallas. Hopefully not too long before we see Little Rock and Texarkana.