Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The Model 3 - 2020 Q3 Order Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It was originally part of the sticky order thread but since that's grown to over 370 pages I have created a new thread for those of us waiting for our Model 3's in Q3 of 2020.

Since the original spreadsheet hasn't been updated since 2019 I thought I would try and start a new one for those still waiting for Model 3 orders in the UK - feel free to add your details if you want - it's editable by anyone with the link.

Model 3 UK Delivery Tracker

I wouldn't recommend entering any details that can personally identify you or your order though :)

Reactions: bookeyuk
Been waiting since Feb. No big deal as lockdown then hit soon after, but getting twitchy now o_O

Charging install going in next week, got loads of accessories already, waiting to switch to EV energy plan, looking forward to having my own car again ..... my BMW 6GT was sold back in Dec so has all felt very weird for 9 months.

This will be first ever company and electric car wrapped into one.

Been waiting since Feb. No big deal as lockdown then hit soon after, but getting twitchy now o_O

Charging install going in next week, got loads of accessories already, waiting to switch to EV energy plan, looking forward to having my own car again ..... my BMW 6GT was sold back in Dec so has all felt very weird for 9 months.

This will be first ever company and electric car wrapped into one.

Nice - thankfully not been waiting that long - although I did the test drive in January and then with lockdown put it off - wishing I hadn't now the wait is killing me.

Car Charger is installed in my garage now though so all is ready when it does eventually appear!

Good thread and I think I will be here for sometime.

Secured an inventory black on white M3P on 27th May only to find out a few weeks later it wasn’t actually a car.

This will be my first car through my business in 17 years and EV.

I received confo this week (Tesla and lease company) that no car on Glovis Sun has been allocated to my RN.

I was also told delivery could be August or September but say October to sure. Ummmmmmmm.

h

I do wonder judging on how some people have managed to get the car in 4 weeks, if it’s just a randomised allocation
Ordering inventory nearly always seems to be quicker, and some of the sites list the expected boat arrival times into the UK etc to give you a better idea of genuine timescales.

The random number generator feeling seems to because to all intents and purposes it seems Tesla release the stock inventory and a member of staff allocates the stock to orders, meantime somebody else can order the car before them. Its crazy and stupid but seems to be the way.

I do wonder judging on how some people have managed to get the car in 4 weeks, if it’s just a randomised allocation

I don't think it's completley random as it probably has some logic too it but to most people it doesn't seem that way...

The problems seem to be that they don't build you a specific car, they build a somewhat random number of cars in each style/configuration and ship them out - which works in USA where there constantly shipping but for Europe it doesn't seem efficient to the end buyer - certainly you wouldn't imagine other car manufacturers doing that!

People then seem to be matched based on how early they completed the booking steps and also what site they are collecting from - I assume this is Tesla trying to be efficient with transporting cars all over the UK (they presumably only want to send full transporters)... say they send 6 SR+ white with black interior to Edinburgh and 6 to Leeds, if there's 8 orders at Edinburgh and 4 at Leeds, all of Leeds will get matched and two will find there way to inventory, while Edinburgh 2 won't be matched and will continue waiting for a match regardless of whether all the people at Edinburgh ordered theirs first...

(I am guessing here, but this is the only logical reason I can think of for their seemingly random allocation).

Long term they have to improve this if they're trying to go mass market - can you imagine buying a similar priced car from any other manufacturer and having such an unreliable delivery process? Most people wouldn't put up with it.

Reactions: Neilio
It's almost certainly spec combo as well into the mix.

Had I not been encountering first steps of mid life crisis combined with being totally bored with black/anthracite interiors from 20 years of german cars, I could have just picked MSM with no other options and had a car by now.

But when you have to keep a car for 3 years and to give flexibility because of how rural we are at home, the tow hitch was a winner and my inner Tom Selleck crisis just needed to have a shiny bright interior. So I take partial responsibility.

Reactions: Neilio
they build a somewhat random number of cars in each style/configuration and ship them out
I doubt it is random - Tesla will know the order numbers at any given point and will be able to flex construction configurations to meet anticipated demand.

Two main factors then work against us -

1. we are in Europe so there is a long lead time between manufacture and delivery
2. we have RHD drive cars, so the allocation pool is a lot smaller with just UK and Ireland, so less flexibility than with mainland Europe.

I'm sure between orders and deliveries there are cancellations also, so if you have a popular config you are more likely to get lucky and bag a cancellation allocation. The introduction of 0% BIK from April has likely increased orders and possibly also swayed the specs ordered also, so construction is never fully up to speed with configurations ordered.

Long term they have to improve this if they're trying to go mass market - can you imagine buying a similar priced car from any other manufacturer and having such an unreliable delivery process?

GigaBerlin will solve this for EU market.

Reactions: Alistairuk
Here to say order placed July, and got matched a car for Aug delivery. I'm now "back of the queue" as I changed my order to LR from SR+ moments before receiving my sms.
I was hoping for late August/ Sept delivery which I'm now doubting from hearing people have been waiting months. Really shouldn't have sold my car...

Evidence above to how different the wait times are ;)

Got my RN today, so next step will now be to wait!

order was only placed yesterday officially (white, LR, black interior) so sure I have a while to wait. Nice to see my company were on the ball with RN however.

I originally requested a September delivery and what they did to accommodate that request was put a restriction on my account that I cannot be matched to a car until 31st August, which would have meant I’d be waiting significantly longer than I had planned. Removed the restriction last week and was matched yesterday stating it will likely be a very early Sept delivery. Therefore, if you’ve taken this approach, it’s worth revisiting to match timelines.

I ordered direct with Tesla, so not sure what the situation is if it’s a lease.