Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The model 3 door handles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I seems like you can press the left side with any fingers. Doesn't necessarily need to be the thumb.
Once you press the left side of the handle, the door opens and you can just grab the door to fully open it

There's no need to grab the door itself as was shown in the reveal videos (people just didn't know). Once you press the left side, the other side becomes a handle that you can use to open the door.

You can see it done properly here (skip to 1:25)

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: 22522 and Red Sage
The door handles are for right-handed people, from the looks of that video snippet. People reaching with their right hands, right thumb pressing on the 'tab' with fingers grabbing the 'stem' that comes out.

If you're left-handed (like my wife), you reach with your LEFT hand which has the thumb on the RIGHT side...
She will simply open the door with her palm facing down while you would open it palm facing up. It shouldn't be inconvenient for people I would think... My fiancee is left handed so We'll have to see when the day finally arrives.

Yet, the door handles seem to have a different orientation in all the videos so it's not really clear how the final design will open.

The thumb side is always toward the rear of the car at each door panel.

Not sure if this will work for handicapped access, though. I was taught you should be able to open architectural and cabinetry door panels with your elbow. No pinching or twisting motions should be necessary. I don't know if that applied to automotive applications or not.

The thumb side is always toward the rear of the car at each door panel.

Not sure if this will work for handicapped access, though. I was taught you should be able to open architectural and cabinetry door panels with your elbow. No pinching or twisting motions should be necessary. I don't know if that applied to automotive applications or not.

I am pretty sure you can't open my wife's van or my truck (Honda Odyssey or Toyota Tacoma) with your elbow. So it must not be a requirement in Automotive.

Reactions: RIZE and Red Sage
The wide spot is always on the thumb side of the most gracefully applied hand. If you have one hand, a ring finger will likely work. An exposed grippable ergonomic option would be easy to implement. The finger grip could be 2.5 times as wide as what is being shown now. The trailing edge could be almost undercut for low drag with a thumb diameter arc.

More intuitive, but less aerodynamic. Should be an easy option for people who want a more Model S tactile experience.

Wonder what the visual and aero cost would be. (Still thinking the step down from thumb size/width does not need to be as dramatic as it is now shown.)

I'm right-handed and I use my left hand to open the driver's side door (on any car) so that the door swings away from my body and I can just slide into the seat. I'd think a left-handed person would have the advantage of being able to use his/her dominant hand to open the driver's door.

Absolutely. I think most people use their left hand to open the door when they're getting in on the left side and the right when getting in on the right side.

And that doesn't have to change with the Model 3. As the driver, use your left hand. Have your palm facing the ground. Push the handle with your left index finger. As the handle pops out, grab it and pull with your left hand. Pull the door open and get in.

Duh.

Reactions: Red Sage and jkk_