Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The Model 3 I want is getting pretty expensive

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not quite, the M3's targeted competition is in the entry level luxury class. Which makes it even more surprising that people are surprised that some of the options cost a sizable chunk of money.

Not surprising - I bet a lot of the $1K deposits are by people who have never looked into buying a luxury class car before. I never have, so I have no familiarity at all with what the options tend to be priced at.

Not surprising - I bet a lot of the $1K deposits are by people who have never looked into buying a luxury class car before. I never have, so I have no familiarity at all with what the options tend to be priced at.

Go play with the configuration pages for Audi, BMW, Mercedes, etc. You might get a little sticker shock, but at least you'll know what to expect when it's time to configure your Tesla

Go play with the configuration pages for Audi, BMW, Mercedes, etc. You might get a little sticker shock, but at least you'll know what to expect when it's time to configure your Tesla

Thanks, though I'm not to worried about it as I figure I'll be spending 70-80K on it. I could get a Model S now, but it's way more car (size wise) than I want - I've been driving 2 seater Hondas since the mid 80s (a couple CRXes, a del Sol, and a couple S2000s).

Reactions: ModelNforNerd
Paint: $0 (hopefully there is a free option other/lighter than black - they removed titanium metallic and base white...why?!)
Pano Roof: $1.25k
Leather: $2k
Decor: $750
Premium: $3k (maybe - only if it doesn't require the "performance" model and depending on Model 3 ventilated seat feedback)

Hmm. My Model 3 is still pretty affordable.

I'm not going to bother buying autopilot or full autonomy until my Model 3 is 10-15 years old and I'm looking to get a new car. I would assume the price, by that time, will have dropped, and not continued to increase (Year 2025: Full Autonomy Suite costs $20,000 lol).

i feel the same way. It took me some time to get over the $500 increase for auto pilot and premium package about a month ago lol...now this...talk about a whopper. Will probably just get the enhanced autopilot and pass on the full self driving now to keep costs somewhat reasonable.

Model ≡ is about 20% smaller and so about 20% cheaper? Wouldn't that be a reasonable price?
(20% smaller is just saving 20% on raw material costs, right? So cutting 20% from overhead and labor costs is treating us buyers well, isn't it?)

I would not expect Elon to cheapen materials, he always wants to build the best, safest, not slow car that he can. Autonomous system requires all the same hardware and software so cost to buyers could reasonably be the same.

How can Elon maintain profits? If his company can increase productivity/assemble he might well get extra savings vs Model S/X, and the decrease in battery cell/pack costs.

20% savings might be reasonable.
33% savings might be the best we can expect.
Any more than that would be hoping volume helps to spread out the fixed costs (engineering, overhead) and Tesla passes along some of these potential savings.

I would not expect Elon to cheapen materials, he always wants to build the best, safest, not slow car that he can. Autonomous system requires all the same hardware and software so cost to buyers could reasonably be the same.
If manufacturing and labor costs decrease and the installation process is fully automated then you can see the costs drop on the same system with the same hardware.

Keep in mind they are still in money making mode to afford solar city and the Model 3 ramp up. ALL the cars will have the hardware whether you pay extra for it or not. ALL the cars will be collecting data (besides where privacy laws prevent it being on by default). It's in Tesla and the public's best interest if as much data is collected as possible to train the autopilot models.

All you're paying for with the $5000 and $3000 is software and increased profit margins. I promise this price will decrease for the Model 3, without a doubt.

Reactions: Lem89
Model ≡ is about 20% smaller and so about 20% cheaper? Wouldn't that be a reasonable price?
(20% smaller is just saving 20% on raw material costs, right? So cutting 20% from overhead and labor costs is treating us buyers well, isn't it?)

20% smaller doesn't mean that everything else is smaller or less as expensive as well. The wheels and tires are not 20% smaller, brakes are not smaller, the seats are the same size, all of the interior wiring and harnesses are probably pretty close to the same size. Yes, overall the vehicle should be less expensive to build, cost less to buy, and give them greater margins.

how do you install a sunroof in the model 3 all glass roof? But really, I expect the 3 will compete across many segments with the entry level $35k car taking sales from compact cars and cheap EVs and the pimped out ones taking sales from BMW and Audi. You will need to decide where you sit in the market and set your expectations accordingly. The good news is you have time to save your money for those little extras you want.

I've just been using the S/X options pricing when looking at my own budget for the 3. If some options are less on the 3, I'll be pleasantly surprised and maybe get to check an extra box for an option I was on the fence about.

Base
+ cold weather
If the 210 mile rating is a total fantasy on the base and there's a significant upgrade required for long distance I'd simply not buy the car and go for a Bolt instead.

Plan to enable Supercharging.

AP is a nice-to-have, and I'd think of it as a spending-money purchase. $5k gives me pause about immediately enabling. Depends on how fully-featured it is at the time, if the time ever comes.

But the thing about EAP features, is that Tesla can enable stuff on the base depending on what the competition's doing.

I'm confident they are going to keep things simple to help manufacturing. I don't think there will be too many options. It will be more like comfort package, all wheel drive, 2-3 battery sizes, wheels, colours, roof, ludicrous, suspension and seats. I would think the prices of these options will also be considerably less than the model S. Fully loaded car would be less or worse case scenario similar to a BMW m3 or Amg c class. One thing to remember is that by the time most people will configure there car there will be a lot of reviews and they need to be great. Tesla can not afford the model 3 too be a tight ass or get any bad reviews because then they will have a lot of cancellations.

Last edited:
I'm confident they are going to keep things simple to help manufacturing. I don't think there will be too many options.
With the manufacturing processes of today, having reduced options doesn't simplify things as much as you might think since it is already pretty simple.

It will be more like comfort package, all wheel drive, 2-3 battery sizes, wheels, colours, roof, ludicrous, suspension and seats. I would think the prices of these options will also be considerably less than the model S.
Stereo upgrade? Cold weather package? Towing option has already been stated.

Why do you think they would be "considerably" less than the Model S?

Stereo upgrade? Cold weather package? Towing option has already been stated.

Why do you think they would be "considerably" less than the Model S?

I feel since the margins on the 3 will already be lower than they are on the S or X, Tesla may resort to bundling. aka, to get rear heated seats, you have to pay for the premium interior package.

or if you buy a performance/ludicrous 3, you can only choose from one of the "premium" paint colors.

things like that.

how do you install a sunroof in the model 3 all glass roof? But really, I expect the 3 will compete across many segments with the entry level $35k car taking sales from compact cars and cheap EVs and the pimped out ones taking sales from BMW and Audi. You will need to decide where you sit in the market and set your expectations accordingly. The good news is you have time to save your money for those little extras you want.
If look at top view of the 3, there were 3 pieces of glass. The windshield obviously, then the back large glass from the trunk over the rear seats, and lastly there is the middle smaller piece that is over the front seats. The middle piece would be where the sunroof would go. It had been stated at the reveal, there would be 3 options for the middle section: fixed metal roof, fixed glass panel, and opening sunroof. What actually happens at production launch, who knows, but this is what we know now.