Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The Model 3 I want is getting pretty expensive

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In what way did they jack up the price? The only pricing of any kind that has been revealed is the $35K base price. Any other pricing you see here for options is only speculation. Also, they had 400K reservations a few months ago, and there were no pricing details then either.

Elon mention the average selling price will be 42k... maybe including basic upgrades (leather seats and sunroof) and I'm pretty sure AP was included when it was 2.5k....now lets fast forward till now and it's almost near 50k or it will be 50k for those who purchase AP later... so yeah price did went up or did Elon thought that people will simply buy a simple basic 35k car and only add AP while ignoring the rest... no he's smarter then that and he knows what the average sales on options are. will it cost 8k for M3s? Who knows but will it cost 2.5k... I don't think so.

I'm looking at getting a used P85 to "hold me over" right now. Private party on ebay, they go for as low as $45k nicely equipped, usually with a couple of premium options like leather, pano, sound, or air suspension. $53k gets you a similar, lower-mileage P85 with a CPO warranty.

If something similarly equipped (but in the smaller and less prestigious 3 body) is significantly MORE than $50k in 18 months, I'm going to be hard-pressed to go with a Model 3, L5 AP or not.

I think many people feel the same way. What if you can get a bumper-to-bumper warranty CPO model S with everything but AP for the same price as a new 3?

This AP2.0 news of $8K has reeeeeeeaally stretched how far I can go with this car. I am considering not getting the ADVANCED version initially and then paying the extra cost to upgrade it later on. I was only budgeting myself for about $8000 worth of options, TOTAL.

I was originally considering doing leather seats, AP2, and larger battery. Now, I may just do leather seats and AP1, skipping out on the larger battery and possibly upgrading to AP2 at a later time.

In all honesty, I really shouldn't be getting this car at all, but I'm trying to push myself to realize my dream of about 8 years now.

You are taking a mid range mid class family grade EV car and adding all the possible bling to make it an entry level Model S, a sport car. Then complaining about the price. You have to use it as is or just add a few survival grade extras for you. Price then will settle around 40-45K range. If you want it all, buying a Model S/X, or even another brand will be a better choice.

Whats being offered by tesla at 35K is actually an entry level EV Car with a high quality hardware and software.

There are and will be much cheaper far-east brands lacking quality in both HW and SW but since they are not that common, people are currently unable to compare to see actually how much they are getting @35K with Tesla. If Model3 can set standards of HW&SW for entry level EVs for this price range, we can expect the competition may take prices downwards to 30K, maybe more, for all the entry level EVs produced in future.

This AP2.0 news of $8K has reeeeeeeaally stretched how far I can go with this car. I am considering not getting the ADVANCED version initially and then paying the extra cost to upgrade it later on. I was only budgeting myself for about $8000 worth of options, TOTAL.

I was originally considering doing leather seats, AP2, and larger battery. Now, I may just do leather seats and AP1, skipping out on the larger battery and possibly upgrading to AP2 at a later time.

In all honesty, I really shouldn't be getting this car at all, but I'm trying to push myself to realize my dream of about 8 years now.
I hope you are able to realize your dream. It would be great if we all did.

Reactions: JoeCoolMan24
It's been said multiple times, and some people took it as an insult, but:

If you're basing your ability to afford even a base Model 3 on getting the tax credit, this may not be the car for you.

It's unfortunate, but it's true.

I can afford a barely-equipped Model S 60 right now, but I want more. So I am awaiting the Model 3, as I'm pretty sure I'll be able to max it out.

For others, your financial comfort zone may be a slot below the Model 3 somewhere. We're still roughly a year out before some (potentially hard) personal finance decisions have to be made, so...... save as much as you can and pay down bills, etc to improve your credit score. If you're financing, you want that interest rate as low as you can get it.

Good luck to those who are going to stick it out and do what they have to do to achieve a goal they've set their sights on. :cool::cool:

Reactions: dsvick
Elon mention the average selling price will be 42k... maybe including basic upgrades (leather seats and sunroof) and I'm pretty sure AP was included when it was 2.5k....
No one has any idea what options, if he was even thinking in terms of specific options, were included in his estimate of what the average price would be.

now lets fast forward till now and it's almost near 50k or it will be 50k for those who purchase AP later... so yeah price did went up
Nope, still a $35K base price car. It might be $50K for some people after they add options, but for others it'll still be $35K or even $42K.

It's been 6 months since the first reveal and 6 months since the $42K average was mentioned, things change, it's entirely possible this happened sooner than he thought it would. It's also entirely possible he knew roughly what it would cost and had a pretty good idea of what options people are buying based on MS and MX sales. The bottom line is you can't really complain about the price of something when you have no idea what that price is. Wait until the options pricing is released, if you don't like it then cancel your reservation.

I'm looking at getting a used P85 to "hold me over" right now. Private party on ebay, they go for as low as $45k nicely equipped, usually with a couple of premium options like leather, pano, sound, or air suspension. $53k gets you a similar, lower-mileage P85 with a CPO warranty.

If something similarly equipped (but in the smaller and less prestigious 3 body) is significantly MORE than $50k in 18 months, I'm going to be hard-pressed to go with a Model 3, L5 AP or not.

I think many people feel the same way. What if you can get a bumper-to-bumper warranty CPO model S with everything but AP for the same price as a new 3?
I won't. I've thought about it, but there are a number of challenges:

1. The Model S is larger, and I prefer a smaller car. I think they're easier to manage, drive, etc.
2. The Model 3's autopilot hardware and also active safety capabilities are going to be much more improved and that is a big difference. Many of the CPO S models are without autopilot at all right now, and that's a huge detractor. I honestly have no interest in a Tesla without AP. AP1 is a complete must if I needed a car today, but I would struggle to go with anything less than AP2 at this point.
3. I expect the Model 3's range to be better assuming even 1 battery upgrade. That's my own expectation and it is a big attraction.
4. While the S and 3 might be same price with the former being CPO, the latter gets a tax credit of up to $7,500. If the credit is extended/expanded, this might be a factor for even more people.
5. At the end of the day, the 3 will be a brand new car versus the S. I would prefer new with their long warranties.

I'm also in a situation like many city dwellers where charging at my own residence is a challenging proposition. I sit on my HOA's board and have been actively working with them, but the challenge remains and the final outcome of what I want to pursue is up in the air. An installation to my parking spot is likely to run $5k and if I sell my place in the next few years, I am not certain to get that money back.

With a Model 3 and fully self driving (even if it isn't enabled right away), I could potentially have my car go and charge itself in the middle of the night. The Model S will require a commitment from me to stop by a high power DC charger twice a week for 30-60 minutes each time.

I'm actually not terribly concerned about the battery size. The base battery will certainly suffice for my running errands around town or commuting and I think it would be suicide for Tesla to produce any Model 3 that is incapable of bridging the average Supercharger gap. Not to mention, Supercharger deployment continues to progress nicely and will be even more impressive in 18 months when the bulk of the Model 3 begins shipping.

I'm therefore thinking I'll be able to save battery upgrade money and direct it towards more exciting features, like AWD and autopilot.

Reactions: melindav
The option pricing in the op will drive me to ICE it for my next vehicle and wait another few years for EV.

I am looking for something that can compete with a performance ICE vehicle but electric and for a bit less money. If the Model 3 costs about the same or more as a comparable ICE vehicle, I'm not paying to beta test generation one.

I really want a non-ludicrous performance model with most of the desired options for around $60K before the rebate. If it is higher than that, a spot will open on the wait list. There are too many good and proven entry luxury performance cars that one can buy for $70K-$80K (or less).

True, but they drink gasoline and won't give you that Tesla Grin when you hit the go pedal. They make weird noises and you have to goto these strange smelly, inconvenient, and unsafe 'gas stations'...

I'll take a Performance Tesla, any Tesla, any day. :)

True, but they drink gasoline and won't give you that Tesla Grin when you hit the go pedal. They make weird noises and you have to goto these strange smelly, inconvenient, and unsafe 'gas stations'...

I'll take a Performance Tesla, any Tesla, any day. :)

Gas they do drink
however you can get yourself a Mercedes CLA45 that will get you 0-60 in 4 seconds
for under 62k nicely equipped. I'm not a fan of the 45 overall but it's a decent sedan with performance that won't break the bank. This is just one example but there are many sedans out now that will put a grin on your face when you hit the pedal(0-60) without crushing your wallet.
I'd stick with the TESLA but just keeping it real :cool:

Last edited:
Gas they do drink
however you can get yourself a Mercedes CLA45 that will get you 0-60 in 4 seconds
for under 62k nicely equipped. I'm not a fan of the 45 overall but it's a decent sedan with performance that won't break the bank. This is just one example but there are many sedans out now that will put a grin on your face when you hit the pedal(0-60) without crushing your wallet.

By my best guesstimate a 65K dollar ICE vehicle will cost you ~$25,000 more than a similarly spec'd M3 after tax credit and gas cost over 8 years. And that ICE won't have full automation capability. Still a pretty hefty cost difference.

Gas they do drink

I paid $44K for a loaded 2015 A3 sedan. Then I paid $800 for an ECU reflash, and I can do 0-60 in the low 5's, which I'm ok with.

But I'm getting my Model 3 anyway and selling the A3 before it depreciates any more.

By my best guesstimate a 65K dollar ICE vehicle will cost you ~$25,000 more than a similarly spec'd M3 after tax credit and gas cost over 8 years. And that ICE won't have full automation capability. Still a pretty hefty cost difference.

We're speculating here the top of the line M3 will be in the 80-85k range comparable performance as CLA45
so over 8 years maybe a 5-10K difference. I was just giving examples. I'm a Tesla guy:cool:
I've owned quite a few performance sedans over the years AMG and M cars and wouldn't go back.
I was just making a point there are a number of ICE sedans that provide performance numbers that are quite impressive in the 55-65k range.

Last edited:
We're speculating here the top of the line M3 will be in the 80-85k range comparable performance as CLA45
so over 8 years maybe a 5-10K difference. I was just giving examples. I'm a Tesla guy:cool:
I've owned quite a few performance sedans over the years AMG and M cars and wouldn't go back.
I was just making a point there are a number of ICE sedans that provide performance numbers that are quite impressive in the 55-65k range.

Very true; you can get a pretty amazing car in that range now.

I was estimating more in the 60-70K range for top of the line M3. The battery upgrades won't cost as much for the M3 since they won't be as big as the S or X upgrades and that's a large portion of the options variable. Also since scales will be smaller and bulk pricing lower I expect other options to cost a bit less. Are most people expecting a Ludicrous option? I haven't factored that in.

Using current pricing:

$35 base
$5 AWD
$8 AP + FSD
$3 Premium
$2.5 Suspension
$1 Weather
$2.5 Sound
$1.5 Pano
$2.5 Next Gen Seats
$10 ~75kWh upgrade

= $71,000

There will be a ludicrous options but it will not be comparitable to the X and S speeds. From what I read i believe it was 0-60 in around 4 to 4.5 seconds. This is still fast especially for an entry level luxury mid-size sedan.

For those of you who have been on the TMC forum for a while you know Paul Carter. He has put together a Model 3 pricing spreadsheet with his estimates on what the various options will cost. He has used the data he had been collecting on the Model 3 to determine which options people will most likely put on the Model 3s. It is a work in progress and he has also updated http://Model3Tracker.info to reflect what is know about which options will most likely be available on the Model 3. For those who have entered their information in Model3Tracker you may want to log on and update your options now there is a rough estimate as to how much options will cost.

Here is a link to the thread with Paul's estimated options costs:

Model 3 Average Selling Price Predictions