Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The Model 3 I want is getting pretty expensive

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm African American. <------- That's what makes it offensive to me. That's not a "problem".

Anywhoo. I'm done with it.

Well, you say things like "anywhoo", so I'm gathering you're not in the age group to have been a fan of the Chappelle Show. If you ever get the chance, I recommend watching it, but before you get offended by it, see it for what it was: a mirror to society. It's "offensive" and "uncomfortable" sometimes, because that's what life is.

When the show was in its heyday, I was still in the military, working in an ethnically diverse group. This, oddly enough, was one of the few TV shows we would ever agree upon to be playing in the background while we worked.

**and now, back to Tesla Model 3 talk**

These will also be the ones who will be able to take advantage of the full $7,500 tax credit before they reach the 200,000 threshold and then it reduces over the next three quarters to $0.
The phase out period is a year, and it doesn't even begin until the end of the quarter after the one in which they hit the 200,000 mark. So if they hit the limit at the beginning of a quarter it will be almost a year and a half before the credit is gone.

Are you saying that you think from the picture that all African Americans do cocaine... because that'd be racist.

It's a meme screenshot from Chappelle's Show on Comedy Central. The character's name was "Tyrone Biggums"

I said everything I meant. I don't have a problem speaking my mind. Don't try to interoperate or add something to what I'm saying.

If I didn't say it - then I don't think it.

I'm 49. 5'11" 180 lbs.

remember that the AP2 hardware comes for FREE. You don't have to enable full functionality at delivery if you don't want to but you CAN add it later (assuming they do the same thing they are currently doing with the S/X)

Another bonus: excise tax is based on sticker price, so you will save money every year if you upgrade AFTER delivery

Last edited:
Reactions: JeffK
remember that the AP2 hardware comes for FREE. You don't have to enable full functionality at delivery if you don't want to but you CAN add it later (assuming they do the same thing they are currently doing with the S/X)

Another bonus: excise tax is based on sticker price, so you will save money every year if you upgrade AFTER delivery
That's exactly right. Its only $1K more if you order it later. I believe that's what he said.

remember that the AP2 hardware comes for FREE. You don't have to buy it at delivery if you don't want to but you CAN add it later (if they stay true to S/X pricing)

Another bonus, excise tax (if you have them) are based on sticker price, so you will save money every year if you upgrade AFTER delivery

Good point (coming from a fellow Masshole).

Another thing to consider, especially for S and X owners, but also maybe for early Model 3 deliveries.

You have to find the financial tipping point on ordering the Full Autonomy. If you are getting an S or X right now, it probably makes way more sense to only order Enhanced Autopilot at delivery, since it should be turned on incrementally over the next few months.

But paying for Full Autonomy right now? Especially for tax purposes and financing, is just bad economics. You're going to be paying for a feature you can't use potentially for YEARS, and you'll be paying sales and excise tax on it, as it was included in the sale price.

You're better off keeping that money in a CD and earning interest on it, rather than letting Tesla and your state get their chunk now. Sure, you may end up paying the extra $1,000 when you go to activate post-delivery, but you've held the sticker price of the car down by $3,000 by not purchasing Full Autonomy right away.

As the Model 3 rolls out, though, it may become a better value to activate it on delivery, if it's only a few weeks or months from being activated.

I'll do the numbers for a base RWD Model S60 in MA, no options other than Enhanced AP and FAD.

$71,000 w/EAP + 6.25% sales tax + (taxed on 90% of sticker price at a rate of $25/per $1,000 assessed) 1597.5 = $77035

$74,000 w/EAP AND FSD enabled upon delivery+ 6.25% sales tax + Property/excise tax of $1665 = $80290

A difference of $3,255 in cost and taxes, in just the first year alone. If it was me, and I ordered today, I'd only order EAP and add FSD later. At least I'd have that extra $3,000+ to spend on other things in the meantime.

Note: I didn't even factor in what the decision would do to your monthly payments/total cost if you were financing any portion of the car. That tips things even further into the "hold off" category.

IIRC, adding some of the options later is more expensive.

It is more expensive, but so is paying excise/property tax/interest for an option you can't yet use, possibly for years.

Just stating for people whose finances may be tight to pull off a Model 3, you might be better off sitting on the cash you would have used for Full Autonomy, and hiding it away somewhere.

The awesome benefit of having a Tesla: if you purchase options after delivery, it does not increase the value of the car in the eyes of the tax man. shhhhhhhhhhhh....don't tell them, they'll find a way to check. ;)

• Informative
Reactions: Weezer Fan
I'm ordering the whole sha-bang on the M3 when it comes out. All boxes checked.

I may, I may not....

Put it this way, I will at least order every option that will be available to me to use on the day I take delivery. If Full Autonomy gets tied up for years by the government in regulatory red tape, there are going to be a lot of angry people who basically lit $3,000 on fire.

I may, I may not....

Put it this way, I will at least order every option that will be available to me to use on the day I take delivery. If Full Autonomy gets tied up for years by the government in regulatory red tape, there are going to be a lot of angry people who basically lit $3,000 on fire.
Yeah,

I might not order that. I can't see tesla giving any credits or rebates if they never get it working.

Yeah,

I might not order that. I can't see tesla giving any credits or rebates if they never get it working.

I can see lobbyists fighting to keep it in a testing status for a long time, which would be unfortunate, and an impediment to progress, but that's the system we've slowly allowed to take hold.

I'll keep $4,000 on hand and ready to go at any given time, so that when they say it has the government green-light, I can go to MyTesla and order it.

But until then, I'll just keep the sticker price of the car slightly lower for tax purposes.

I can see lobbyists fighting to keep it in a testing status for a long time, which would be unfortunate, and an impediment to progress, but that's the system we've slowly allowed to take hold.

I'll keep $4,000 on hand and ready to go at any given time, so that when they say it has the government green-light, I can go to MyTesla and order it.

But until then, I'll just keep the sticker price of the car slightly lower for tax purposes.
I wonder if that unchecked box will put us in the back of the delivery line. I can see that happening.

I wonder if that unchecked box will put us in the back of the delivery line. I can see that happening.

doubtful, as it's not a hardware difference. I don't know how Tesla pushes software to vehicles in the factory, but in theory, it doesn't even have to be on the assembly line to receive the software you've ordered.

They can either pre-load the car with your software as the CPU is installed, or they can build the car and put it in storage somewhere, and push the software via OTA before putting it on a train or truck for delivery.

I think the only check-boxes that will affect delivery time will be hardware-related. i.e. ordering Performance, but not Ludicrous.

[Total Speculation]

The model 3 base price is 53% of the model S base price - with no options. (35k vs 66k)

I assume the options will be between 60 and 70% of the same option on the model S. So let's say 65%

Minimum spec for me to buy: mid range battery (250+ miles), dual motor, sunroof, autopilot, nav / tech package and seat upgrade
Cost of Minimum: 66k at 53% + 27k in options (at 65%) = $52,550 This is a price I'm totally expecting.

Dream config: add performance, interior, and high fidelity auto and upgrade to the largest battery
Cost of Dream: 66k at 53% + 90k in options (at 65%) = $93,500 This is a price I'm also totally expecting.

The real key here to getting the price down is battery.

Let's be honest - once you get above $75k, you move into a whole new league of car - including the Model S & X