Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The Model 3 I want is getting pretty expensive

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yep; it's really going to come down to if AP was a significant part of the reason they put down the reservation. I had assumed I would have to pay extra for AP and knew I wasn't going to get it, at least with the initial purchase. Knowing it can be turned on later is actually nice to lean on for those financially on the fence.

After doing some really crude math, it probably makes more sense to just finance AP into your loan up front rather than having to pay an extra $1000 later on if you know 100% for sure that you're going to add AP to the car. It sucks having to factor in a higher cost for AP but I'm pretty sure it won't deter a lot of people who wanted AP from getting it. Maybe a few of those who think of AP as strictly a nice-to-have...

model-3-2016-silver-top-glass-motor-trend.jpg
full

• Love
Reactions: Model S M.D.
After doing some really crude math, it probably makes more sense to just finance AP into your loan up front rather than having to pay an extra $1000 later on if you know 100% for sure that you're going to add AP to the car. It sucks having to factor in a higher cost for AP but I'm pretty sure it won't deter a lot of people who wanted AP from getting it. Maybe a few of those who think of AP as strictly a nice-to-have...

The way I see it, as long as I am getting the full tax credit at the Federal ($7500) and State (MA- $2500) levels, I'll just suck up the cost of Autonomous, knowing I'll have some money coming back at the end of the next tax season.

I would be so happy to have current AP functionalities and reliability. But with Model 3, you won't be able to get that for anything less than the full upgrade, right? If there were multiple levels of AP to choose from, I might hold offf from full autonomy until I start running my own taxi or delivery company. Or have a wife to share the car with. Car driving back home or to work so the other can use it.

The option pricing in the op will drive me to ICE it for my next vehicle and wait another few years for EV.

I am looking for something that can compete with a performance ICE vehicle but electric and for a bit less money. If the Model 3 costs about the same or more as a comparable ICE vehicle, I'm not paying to beta test generation one.

I really want a non-ludicrous performance model with most of the desired options for around $60K before the rebate. If it is higher than that, a spot will open on the wait list. There are too many good and proven entry luxury performance cars that one can buy for $70K-$80K (or less).

I would be so happy to have current AP functionalities and reliability. But with Model 3, you won't be able to get that for anything less than the full upgrade, right? If there were multiple levels of AP to choose from, I might hold offf from full autonomy until I start running my own taxi or delivery company. Or have a wife to share the car with. Car driving back home or to work so the other can use it.

There ARE 2 levels:

Enhanced Autopilot (likely to be renamed) for $5,000

and Full Autonomous driving for $3,000 more (requires Enhanced AP)

If you go to the Model S or X configuration pages in the Design Studio, you get a brief description of what each level entails.

Reactions: Cloxxki
Folks,

Tesla hasn't even released any prices yet.

Look at what happened to the MS and MX in a week. Look at how the price went up.

The reverse (as far as price) may happen next week. This is Tesla we are talking about.

For some reason they are extremely volatile right now..

There ARE 2 levels:

Enhanced Autopilot (likely to be renamed) for $5,000

and Full Autonomous driving for $3,000 more (requires Enhanced AP)

If you go to the Model S or X configuration pages in the Design Studio, you get a brief description of what each level entails.
Cheers.
That's just pretty pricey, especially if kept the same for Model 3.
Sure, other brands only offer it (a lesser product) on top of the line model as part of pricey option kits. But since thousands of S&X owners got it for a lower price, double that seems a bit steep even if it's getting better. Add-on navigation kits got better and cheaper, I believe.

Tesla will have done some price elasticity research. Do they get more revenue selling it for $1000 (nearly everyone specs it) or at $8000 (only 15-20% specs it)? Since more cars are bought on a loan, it's a bit funny money anyways. And admitting to the neighbor that you cheaped out and drive the car yourself, not really an "option"? :)

Just the lane/distance keeping I'd love to have on any car, if a bit affordable. But then, I buy cars outright, I hate loans, and really value the price of money.

Cheers.
That's just pretty pricey, especially if kept the same for Model 3.
Sure, other brands only offer it (a lesser product) on top of the line model as part of pricey option kits. But since thousands of S&X owners got it for a lower price, double that seems a bit steep even if it's getting better. Add-on navigation kits got better and cheaper, I believe.

Tesla will have done some price elasticity research. Do they get more revenue selling it for $1000 (nearly everyone specs it) or at $8000 (only 15-20% specs it)? Since more cars are bought on a loan, it's a bit funny money anyways. And admitting to the neighbor that you cheaped out and drive the car yourself, not really an "option"? :)

Just the lane/distance keeping I'd love to have on any car, if a bit affordable. But then, I buy cars outright, I hate loans, and really value the price of money.

I think the price is high now for the same reason Elon mentioned "well-equipped" Model 3's will roll out first.

They have to replenish the capital outlay they had in R+D and initial development of the new AP platform. Over time, as with most products, the price will come down as Tesla makes back that initial investment.

Many are saying they wouldn't pay $8K for a full autonomy option on their model 3. For those who are in this group, what price would you be willing to pay?

For me, I see full autonomy autopilot as a must-have option.
I think somewhere between 3-5k. For the Model 3 I'd like to see only one autopilot option... either just the safety features or full autonomy with no in between option (depends on local laws).

The AP1 like features when enabled in December/January serve only as a stop gap until full autonomy is enabled late 2017. Last thing they should want is bad press for someone in a Model 3 to get in an autopilot related accident and confusion in the press whether it had been self driving or not. (granted the AP2's AP1 like features are supposed to be far superior to AP1)

I may be misinterpreting "value[ing] the price of money", but shouldn't that mean you should prefer a low interest loan, allowing you to keep your money for longer and earn a higher rate?

in my case, my Model 3 savings is in a decent yield CD, earning me interest. when it's time to convert to a sale, i'll cash out the CD (it renews in 6 month increments, and I've timed it so it will be available around this time next year. I'll move it to savings if it's needed before the next 6 month increment would be due). It's earning ME interest right now, and I won't be giving the bank any interest by paying on a car loan.

Many are saying they wouldn't pay $8K for a full autonomy option on their model 3. For those who are in this group, what price would you be willing to pay?

I probably won't be shelling out the extra for full autonomy. I'm all about embracing new technology, but I don't care what anybody says, I still don't trust full self-driving tech and won't for a looooooong time. I love lane assist and adaptive cruise control though.

I'm concerned about other drivers. Body language is huge, and often conveyed in driving as well. I can usually tell when somebody is going to change lanes seconds before they do it. I see a slight swerve or drifting and I stay the hell out of that person's way. When people headcheck, they often lean so much that they turn the wheel slightly and start drifting. It's gotten to the point where when I'm passing people who I don't trust, I have one hand on the wheel and one hand hovering over the horn. This defensive driving behavior has saved my ass more than once from the people who can't drive and don't adjust their mirrors properly (i.e. they still have blindspots). The threat of a sideswipe seems like a daily occurrence and I'm honestly shocked I haven't gotten into an accident yet.

I just don't think the car will be as intuitively aware as I am now. I don't trust it to take full control. I trust that it will avoid lunatic maneuvers, but I don't trust that it will do a good job avoiding being in those positions in the first place. Like they teach you in driver's ed not to get boxed in.

That, and I don't trust the car in general until I'm proven otherwise. All the videos of Teslas randomly swerving off the road or into oncoming traffic just don't convince me. I doubt there is anybody here at this point who would get into the back seat of their car and let it take them somewhere. We won't be at that point for many many many years to come. If we're even still alive then.

AP isn't a selling point for me so and full autonomy even less so. If I had the money to afford one of the nicer models I would get it just to have it the few times I would want it. I'm in the budget club where there are other features I need/want first.

Not to mention I believe full aotonomy won't even be legal for another 5 years at least in my state and neighbors.

*sigh*... it is getting expensive .... right after 400k reservations thay had to jack up the price...

1k premium paint - sure
1k sun roof - ... reasonable, sure
1k rim upgrade - sure
8k for AP - ... what?!!
10k to Unlock AP later - ... its not $500 anymore??!!! Now it's $2000....

Really discouraging :(

*sigh*... it is getting expensive .... right after 400k reservations thay had to jack up the price...
In what way did they jack up the price? The only pricing of any kind that has been revealed is the $35K base price. Any other pricing you see here for options is only speculation. Also, they had 400K reservations a few months ago, and there were no pricing details then either.