Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The Model 3 is the new Bug

Moose408

Nov 8, 2018
San Jose, CA
Back in the 70s we used to play a game on road trips identifying VW Bugs on the road. They were everywhere. Then in the early 2000s it was Toyata Prius that were the most prevalent car on the road. Now it is the Model 3.

Last night at a stop light there were 6 Model 3s around me. Today I went on an hour drive and counted 27 Model 3s during the trip.

cdeleo

Aug 23, 2018
New York
Yeah you would be hard pressed to find an M3 in my town. Actually the only one I've seen on the road is mine lol. I'm sure this is only a matter of time though.

brobinson

May 23, 2018
Ohio
This is largely regional and only because you're looking for them. You'd lose count if you tried the same thing for Civics, accords, camrys, etc...

Eno Deb

Aug 17, 2018
SF Bay Area
I was thinking the same thing. They are everywhere here. At my workplace I'd guess that about half of the cars in the rows with the Chargepoint chargers are Model 3s now. Also, I was in Monterey on the weekend and it was full of Model 3s as well (between all the Porsches and Maseratis). :)

SMAlset

Mar 4, 2017
SF Bay Area
I was thinking the same thing. They are everywhere here. At my workplace I'd guess that about half of the cars in the rows with the Chargepoint chargers are Model 3s now. Also, I was in Monterey on the weekend and it was full of Model 3s as well (between all the Porsches and Maseratis). :)

With the onslaught of Model 3s and MSs and MXs (seeing a lot more of both too) this is such great advertising for Tesla. Tesla's YTD figures (even thru November) are undeniable for other automakers who have put down Tesla and saying basically never us, no one wants EVs.

Tesla Model 3 Sales Charge Way Past Milestone Of 100,000 In U.S.

Finally:
Tesla earns nod of respect from legacy auto for pushing sustainable transportation

And this on VW throwing in the towel on ICE:
https://jalopnik.com/volkswagen-says-its-next-generation-of-internal-combust-1830860050

Last edited:

NoPetrolDream

Fandango
Apr 4, 2016
Fort Worth, Texas
I can still go several days without seeing any Tesla product (other than my own), let alone another Model 3. I did see one this morning approaching from a side street; white with aeros like mine! Was a pleasant surprise...I tried to get a wave off before passing by.

But someday, perhaps instead of playing “slug bug”, kids will play “slug three??” :)

ArizonaP85

Apr 6, 2017
Phoenix
I can still go several days without seeing any Tesla product (other than my own), let alone another Model 3. I did see one this morning approaching from a side street; white with aeros like mine! Was a pleasant surprise...I tried to get a wave off before passing by.

But someday, perhaps instead of playing “slug bug”, kids will play “slug three??” :)
Um, since the Model Y hasn't been made yet, if we see Tesla, an S, 3 or X, whatever should we do instead of "slug bug"?

happyzod

Nov 9, 2018
Texas
I'm in Metro Boston and it definitely isn't as popular. Aside from mine, I see a model 3 once every other day. I see plenty of Porsche Macan and Cayannes. Will prob see more of them when they come out with the lease option.

gtmotor

Apr 8, 2018
Arizona

I don't think kids are allowed to even think about punching each other anymore. They have to resort to their phones to emotionally scar one another now since everyone seems to think that is more appropriate vs. some light physical "bullying".

ItsNotAboutTheMoney

Jul 12, 2012
Maine
Given 116k sales through November, and abundant sales in California, it's not surprising they're becoming very visible in some affluent areas.

I've not seen many myself. I think only 2 in the wild.

ℬête Noire

Jan 30, 2018
TX
I saw one today pre-dawn, black and still w/their paper plate. I see one maybe once or twice a week now. They are easy to spot in the dark from the rear, if you know it the owl's eyes swerve of the taillight design is pretty distinctive.

I've seen a lot more S and X around, too. I believe there's an X owner that works at my daughter's school, I've seen it parked in the staff area. Until this year I'd never seen a Tesla in my area. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC