Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The Model 3 is Too Long!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For me the model 3 was longer than expected.

I have 4"x "4 curb bolted to the floor I installed in our garage several years ago so I just drive in and let the tires rest on this so I know the door will close but leave room in front of the car for the lawnmower etc. Worked well for the Honda Civic, Focus Electric, B-Class MB and eGolf.

Could not shut the door with the Model 3! Just got done moving the curb 6" so the door will close. Lost some storage space.

-------------------------------------------------

Remove the wall entirely and have a combination garage/guest room. The house renovation tv shows are always removing walls to have an open floor plan.

Painting shark teeth on the front of the M3 would add a seaside motif to the situation.

But is your 3 stainless-steel colored? No? Sorry, that's so dated, must be replaced immediately. This guest-garage is not move-in ready. :p

• Funny
Reactions: Spudford
1) Drive 55MPH in the 'fast' lane of a local highway; the 710 or 405 should be fine.
2) Wait until there is somebody riding your tail; shouldn't take more than 2 minutes.
3) SLAM on your brakes.
4) Your rear bumper will be compressed at least 3 inches; good enough to now fit inside your beach house.

P.S. Your math is wrong.

Dimensions of the Model 3 were like the first thing I considered after it was revealed. I will say that is an insanely short garage, I can't believe anything other than a coupe being able to fit in it. I'll save from being too incisive about lack of planning, sometimes that's the way life goes, and I also don't know the entire situation, far be it from me to criticize, but I really do wonder what people have been doing for the last 2.5 years. It's not like I have been planning every single day, but there are definitely a lot of things I consider (fitting the car in a garage) as one of them. It's like cutting a piece of wood without even measuring once, let alone twice. It's not like Tesla was keeping that info a secret either. Ok, enough of me being slightly mean. Hope everything works out well :)

I own a house in a beach community of Southern California and my garage is 182 inches deep! My BMW 328 just fits in the garage (I have a foam pad attached to the wall so that I can creep up and touch it knowing that my car has reached the proper position.) The garage door will clear the rear bumper by about 3/4 of an inch.

Unfortunately, my new AWD Model 3 (which I hope to receive by the end of the year) is 185 inches long. It is two inches longer than my BMW.

What should I do?

1. Cut a three inch hole in the front wall which would encroach into my guest room.

2. Remove the front bumper of the Model 3.

3. Build a new garage.

Any other ideas?

My old apartment in SF had the same issue. Just left the garage open and cleared out the garage