Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The Model 3 steering wheel poll!!!

Have a look at the photos and let us know which steering wheels you like best. Choose 1- 3

• I like the look and quality of the Mercedes C class steering wheel!

• I like the look and quality of the Audi A4 steering wheel!

• i like the look and quality of the model 3 steering wheel!

• i like the look and quality of the BMW 3 series steering wheel!

• i like the look and quality of the Jaguar XE steering wheel!

• i like the look and quality of the Lexus IS steering wheel!

Results are only viewable after voting.
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All,

Are you guys/ladies thrilled with the quality and look of the model 3 steering wheel?
How does it affect the look of the interior?
How does it compare against its arch-rivals? (see photos)
How is the turning cycle ?

Please share your thoughts. Thank you
mercedes-c-class 2014 steering wheel.jpg
audi_a4_steering wheel.jpg
Jaguar-XE-Steering-Wheel-carwitter.jpg
bmw-3-series-steering wheel.jpg
Tesla-Model-3 steering wheel.jpg
Lexus is steering wheel.jpg

Are you guys/ladies thrilled with the quality and look of the model 3 steering wheel?
How does it affect the look of the interior?
How does it compare against its arch-rivals? (see photos)
How is the turning cycle ?
- The TM3 wheel affects the interior positively; minimalist wheel is consistent with minimalist interior
- The wheels on the "arch-rivals" will soon be relegated to the dust bin of history when FSD and full voice recognition will be implemented.
- Not sure what "turning cycle" is and I can't compare when I don't know what the turning cycle is for the arch-rivals. What is the turning cycle on the TM3?

This guy is thrilled with the quality and look of the TM3 "driving the future" steering wheel. I will be even more thrilled when that steering wheel becomes redundant, irrelevant, and therefore unnecessary.

I didn't vote, because its too many choices. I like specific features of each of the wheels. Of the non Tesla wheels, I like the BMW and the Lexus the best.
I like the simplicity of the Tesla wheel. The only aspect that I don't like as much is the center bottom "spoke" I think they could have used a different material or something in that area.
That being said, I certainly don't expect to have any issues living with it.

I'm sort of weird. I judge control features based on their ergonomics and jewelry by it's looks.

You can get a Bedazzle Kit and fix your Model 3 steering wheel to match your taste.

What does not belong on a steering wheel are thumb dials, or critical controls. Since steering wheels rotate, in long corners, you cannot operate controls. Some shift paddles really suck because of this. And thumb dials are hard to finely adj since steering wheels move, which can also be accidentally moved.

Last edited:
Oh, i can't edit my own posts yet? Ok...

I wanted to add, what I'm not a big fan of with the Model 3 steering wheel is the depth of the grip on it. It looks like it'll take some getting used to. I'm also not too keen on the taper/shape of the bottom support, it looks awkward and makes the hub look even fatter coming out at an angle like that.

Still, I like it more than dislike it.

The Model 3 steering wheel is easily the worst. The minimalist interior is fine and all, but the proportions on the steering wheel are off. Too much smooth blank space. If they broke it up with different textures and or seams, it could have looked better. A bigger Tesla logo would have helped too. For a minimalistic interior, perhaps perforated sections would be too much. Still, if you have a seam section on top, adding one to the bottom to even it out would have been better. The dash is minimalistic, but the wood and metal lines break up the smooth expanse. Have to do that with the wheel too. The wheel just looks unfinished, rather than minimalistic.

The Mercedes is easily the best. Look how the 3 point star fills up the airbag section along with it being on an indented "island". The perforated part of the rim adds texture and breaks up the wheel, along with the flat bottom. As does the bottom seam for the perforated section. The buttons fill up their section completely so they're not as obvious, are completely symmetrical and shaped so that you don't notice each individual one as much. Not as busy that way. Contrast that with the Audi and Jaguar, which are too busy. If you want different shapes (like a scroll wheel mixed with buttons), the BMW does it in a much more integrated pattern. The Audi has odd blank spaces which cause them to stick out.

• Disagree
Reactions: AUSinator and Runt8
I lived this long without a myriad of buttons on my steering wheel, I can get along just fine with the Model 3 wheel's lack of buttons and pizzazz (which seems to be the root of the poll here).

Overall I have no preference on wheel design, as long as it is comfortable and adjustable.

Reactions: NeverFollow
IMO the steering wheel in the 3 doesn't really look very nice, it looks rather boring, probably because it lacks any kind of interesting shape or trim. If it looked more like the S and X steering wheel, I'd like it better.

2016tsc020001_640_11.jpg

But once we have rain sensing wipers, the steering wheel will become obsolete soon thereafter, so who really cares?

And before people call me a hater, one part, that I think turned out very good, is the door. And the wood trim, but I think I'm in the minority on that one.

The S/X is a very nice steering wheel and addresses what I find wrong with the Model 3 wheel. It has the top AND bottom seams on the side, so the wheel is broken up into even sections. The silver trim on the outside edge of the airbag section breaks up all the black, and highlights the T shape just like the Tesla logo in the middle. Flat bottom is a bonus, and makes getting out easier. Even the buttons are nice and even, blend well, and still have a scroll wheel. Having buttons simply makes it much easier to control frequently used things like music. All you need is two just like the S/X. Excellent design. The 3 is just half baked.

And I like the wood dash on the 3. If it came in more options (like aluminum or carbon fiber), even better as more choice is good. But I like how it's there along with the silver which breaks up the big vastness of a minimalistic dash. The dash is a good design of minimalistic interior. The wheel is not.

Reactions: R.S and AUSinator
You know what I really like about the 3 steering wheel? How little chrome it has! There's nothing worse than being blinded by the interior of your car when the sun is behind/beside you.

Yo there's a big shiny T at the center. It'll burn your eyes out when you casually drive away from explosions.

Having now looked at car interior pictures for half an hour i can't help thinking how weird steering wheels look in general. Crazy to have such an atrocity in a modern car. I want a joystick to my right and a thrust lever to my left.

The S/X is a very nice steering wheel and addresses what I find wrong with the Model 3 wheel. It has the top AND bottom seams on the side, so the wheel is broken up into even sections. The silver trim on the outside edge of the airbag section breaks up all the black, and highlights the T shape just like the Tesla logo in the middle. Flat bottom is a bonus, and makes getting out easier. Even the buttons are nice and even, blend well, and still have a scroll wheel. Having buttons simply makes it much easier to control frequently used things like music. All you need is two just like the S/X. Excellent design. The 3 is just half baked.

And I like the wood dash on the 3. If it came in more options (like aluminum or carbon fiber), even better as more choice is good. But I like how it's there along with the silver which breaks up the big vastness of a minimalistic dash. The dash is a good design of minimalistic interior. The wheel is not.

The 3 does have the same buttons as the S, they're on the sides of the scroll wheel. How easy it will be to press them I'll have to see.