Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The Model S Driving Dilemma

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When I do eventually get my Model S, I foresee a dilemma. When approaching an intersection where the light turns yellow, do I punch it or break to stop.
If I punch it, I know the car will instantly accelerate and I will glide through the intersection with a satisfied smile. But if I brake and stop, I will have the pole position for the pending green light launch, which will also bring a satisfied smile to my face. Actually, maybe I should just take turns, as either decision is a win-win.

Agreed. Technically a yellow light means "Stop". It's not a warning that a Red is coming. My brother went to court over a Yellow Light ticket and lost for this very reason.

Yellow may mean stop, but I have always treated it as "hurry up and go", and have never had a ticket doing this in 45 years of driving. Either way, I will heed the advice of the Roadster owner. Take the pole position and tell any passengers to brace for take off.

Yellow may mean stop, but I have always treated it as "hurry up and go", and have never had a ticket doing this in 45 years of driving. Either way, I will heed the advice of the Roadster owner. Take the pole position and tell any passengers to brace for take off.

Most do treat yellows that way. In my brother's case, the officer noted that he both entered and cleared the intersection while the light was Yellow, but deemed that he could have stopped. The Judge agreed. I think the cop was being a jerk. Typically, they ticket for a Yellow if the light turns red while you're going through, but "technically" Yellow does require you to stop.

I think the bigger reason for stopping is in case someone in the opposite direction decides to make a left in front of you when the light goes yellow!

Around town there have been a lot of these pedestrian crossing lights that count down. And most of the time when the count ends the yellow light begins. It helps me plan my speed entering intersections even better. The real questions is if I see 7 ... 6 ... 5 do I start slowing down or speeding up?

I *LOVE* being first at red lights. So if I'm coming up on a yellow, I take that as an opportunity to floor it when it turns green (paying very close attention to my surroundings to make sure no one's gonna run a light, pedestrians, etc. because you're going to be on the other side of that intersection than anyone's going to predict) :smile:

Old Australian joke:

Woman arrives late at the airport in Sydney and jumps into a taxi. The driver is driving normally, when a bit ahead a light goes yellow. He accelerates! The light goes red, and he really floors it, and goes through the intersection just as the other direction's cars start to move. The woman is a bit shaky but doesn't say anything.

A few lights later, the same thing happens again! Now she's starting to get worried.

Then the taxi is cruising toward a red light, slowing gently. Suddenly the light goes green. The driver jams on the brakes and comes to a panic stop at the green light!

"Why did you do that?" she asks.

"My brother might be coming the other way!"

Most do treat yellows that way. In my brother's case, the officer noted that he both entered and cleared the intersection while the light was Yellow, but deemed that he could have stopped. The Judge agreed. I think the cop was being a jerk. Typically, they ticket for a Yellow if the light turns red while you're going through, but "technically" Yellow does require you to stop.

Obviously that cop either (a) was an idiot with nothing better to do, or (b) had a quota to meet. And I really doubt your brother had enough warning time if it was still yellow when he exited.

I think the bigger reason for stopping is in case someone in the opposite direction decides to make a left in front of you when the light goes yellow!

Absolutely. If there's someone waiting to turn left, then I'll definitely stop if I can do it without drama.

I think the law on yellow lights might vary. In Oregon its "could you have stopped?", not "did you clear before red?" Our lights change immediately, my red is your green, so pushing a light is really dangerous because someone may be hitting the green light at full speed, which is common on the streets with timed lights.

I know some states though have delays from my red to your green precisely because running yellows is so common.

Me, personally, you push the edge of a yellow then a sniper should blow out your tires. But hey, that's just me :)