Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The Model S Name

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I've done a little research for my odd little question, but I just can't seem to find out where or what the Model S's name came from. It has to have some sort of meaning. As I saw in one member's signature, I like to imagine it is short for Model S(paceship) :tongue:

I thought "Roadster" was pretty lame, but "Model S" is even worse. Ugh.

"Model S" is no better than those other alphanumeric names, like "LS460" or "CTS-V" or "A7" or "550i". Those are the absolute worst.

I agree with this statement.

And as long as they don't use a european (alpine) city name like Lucerne, or Milan. And don't misspell Cruise as Cruze I think real names are pretty cool.

Considering the model names, we're so lucky that the company is not named ElectroCar or something.

I'm okay if they wait until they're better established before they hire someone who is more creative with naming the vehicles.:biggrin:

I'm really not seeing the big deal. I like the name, and I think it works well for the brand. I like that they continued it with the X as well. Sometimes codenames are cooler than real names (Nina -> Atlantic?)

During my flight yesterday, I was browsing this forum, while the guy next to me looked out the window / played games. When we landed, he looked at me and asked "Please tell me you've bought a Tesla" - I said yes. I think the focus should be on Tesla, not the model name, so good call with S & X and whatever is to follow - makes it easy to share the Tesla story and all that's great with their work!