Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The Model S Store is Down. Are we about to see something new?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The problem with only looking at mileage is that it doesn't take into account what miles are within your state. If my state decides to charge me based on miles driven in Colorado then that's fine but they'd better not be charging me for all of the long distance driving I do in Kansas, Nebraska and Wyoming every year. GPS tracking would address this issue but many don't like the 'invasion of privacy' that comes with it.

We're getting pretty far off-topic here, but I'd think a mileage tax could apply to all vehicles and be both reasonably easy to implement and respectful of privacy. If they ask for the car's mileage every time you renew your car's registration, they don't need to know where you've been and they can charge everyone. This would also allow the per-mile tax to be indexed to vehicle weight, which is a good thing. And the government would need to add some sort of sampling to weed out the inevitable liars -- and perhaps make a mileage verification mandatory before the car is sold -- but overall it seems like a viable solution to me.