Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The Model Year is the Best Indication of Current Production

dandrewk

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Jun 25, 2019
Marin County, CA
There have been a few posts here indicating the VIN they were assigned is not one of the "newer" ones (535xxx+), indicating the numbers aren't assigned sequentially. Thus, no way to tell when it came off the line.

Since all the current quarter cars seem to have the "L" (MY2020), this should be the new metric. VINs with "K" were produced last quarter. "L" means current quarter.

Make sense?

• Informative
Reactions: Webeevdrivers

msm859

Oct 23, 2019
California
There have been a few posts here indicating the VIN they were assigned is not one of the "newer" ones (535xxx+), indicating the numbers aren't assigned sequentially. Thus, no way to tell when it came off the line.

Since all the current quarter cars seem to have the "L" (MY2020), this should be the new metric. VINs with "K" were produced last quarter. "L" means current quarter.

Make sense?
Actually the tenth digit of the "VIN" tells you the model year. K=2019 and L=2020. It is universal among all cars in the US

Reactions: XLR82XS

jjrandorin

Moderator, Model 3, Tesla Energy Forums
Nov 28, 2018
Riverside Co. CA
Actually the tenth digit of the "VIN" tells you the model year. K=2019 and L=2020. It is universal among all cars in the US

i am still waiting to see someone with a "L" in the vin take delivery this year, and tell us the paperwork says 2020 model year on it. Has that happened yet?

Luso7

Oct 15, 2019
NJ
I recently took delivery of a MY2019 car based on VIN that says on the sticker it came off the line in 10/19 - so this quarter.

that tells me you got a car from factory to in your hands in about 2 weeks possibly less. That’s good news, I have a 2020 vin that left the factory a few days ago

dandrewk

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Jun 25, 2019
Marin County, CA
What do you mean? VIN is universal. There are multiple standards for around the world but since 1981 vehicles manufactured in the United States have followed a federally mandated standard.

Vehicle identification number - Wikipedia

Yes, I know they are universal. My question was a direct reply to another post.

The model year's are sequential, A-Y and then 1-9. But that only will count for 35 years, and cars like the Corvette have been around a lot longer than 35 years.

I since determined the answer. VINs have only been universal since 1981. Even so, that's still 38 years. So after "9", the letters/numbers start over again.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: vickh

vickh

Dec 16, 2018
az
Yes, I know they are universal. My question was a direct reply to another post.

The model year's are sequential, A-Y and then 1-9. But that only will count for 35 years, and cars like the Corvette have been around a lot longer than 35 years.

I since determined the answer. VINs have only been universal since 1981. Even so, that's still 38 years. So after "9", the letters/numbers start over again.

which means you can't use it to id MY when it starts over? My 2054 Tesla Vin could be similar letter :)

• Funny
Reactions: dandrewk

ItsNotAboutTheMoney

Jul 12, 2012
Maine
How do they handle cars like Mustang, Corvette etc?

Theoretically, if you could end up with identical VINs, However, there are a bunch of others codes in there that have meaning about the vehicle:
4-8 are vehicle attributes
(9 check digit)
10 Model Year
11 plant code
12-17 sequence number (13-17 must be numeric).

So in order to be identical to the VIN of a vehicle made 30 years ago, you'd have to have matching vehicle attribute sequences, plant code and sequence numbers.

There's much more overlap likely with commercial trailers than cars.

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC