TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

The modern View Master

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by SpiceWare, Dec 20, 2015.

1. SpiceWare

SpiceWare Member

#1 SpiceWare, Dec 20, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2015
    My sister's in town for the weekend, we're taking the kids to Magical Winter Lights, so we did our Xmas a week early. I received a new View Master VR, it's a really cool update to the old View Master we had as kids.

IMG_0284.jpg

It uses your smartphone (iOS and Android) to generate the 3D view:
    IMG_0285.jpg

If you're looking for some last minute gift ideas, check it out - I wrote up a blog post about it over at AtariAge.

2. green1

green1 Active Member

I love it... and yet it's so wrong at the same time...

btw. What's the disc for in this version (or just for nostalgia?)

3. SpiceWare

SpiceWare Member

I've updated the blog entry to expand upon that. Basically the phone's camera still works and you look at it using augmented reality to select what to view:

IMG_6648.jpg

IMG_6647.jpg

IMG_6649.jpg

IMG_6650.jpg

4. lg_golfs

lg_golfs Member

I show this a lot in my work (education technology presenter)

A nice thing about it is the fact it is also Google Cardboard compliant. So, you can use these along with the Google Cardboard app. Makes them worth every penny IMHO.

Google Cardboard – Google

Another IMHO...... The Viewmaster software needs a little help, but, its a fun blast from the past revamped for todays time. The software is also not that expensive and like I said the Viewmaster supports Cardboard opening up a whole other world of content.

The disc is used to show items in Augmented Reality and then jumps off to the experience you want to view.