Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The more things change, the more they stay the same...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
>>I suggest you grab a cocktail or coffee and spend 30 minutes learning the new TeslaOS before you need any of it features. Learning the new UI is the least you could do in lieu of RTFM. Spend another week driving it to learn where the features moved to. Actually make a point to use all the old & new features. THEN post complaints here and let Tesla Support know via Bug Reports.<<

I've never had a car that needs that sort of ongoing learning of changes and I don't think it is going to help Tesla one bit.
I'm a techie as much as anyone but not when we end up with a vehicle that requires such attention.
And that's ignoring the fact that the little icons along the bottom are not exactly intuitive nor large enough to be useful when driving.

Reactions: COS Blue
I've never had a car that needs that sort of ongoing learning of changes and I don't think it is going to help Tesla one bit.
I'm a techie as much as anyone but not when we end up with a vehicle that requires such attention.
And that's ignoring the fact that the little icons along the bottom are not exactly intuitive nor large enough to be useful when driving.
Disagree. Iterating on the car to add new features allows the car to better hold its value, and keeps it feeling fresh. Yes, there are times when the changes are more of a learning curve -- but overall the approach Tesla has taken ("car as internet device") is far, far superior than the previous norm where you were locked into whatever you drove off the dealership lot for the whole life of the vehicle.

Last edited:
Reactions: Canyonero
Disagree. Iterating on the car to add new features allows the car to hold its value, and keeps it feeling fresh. Yes, there are times when the changes are more of a learning curve -- but overall the approach Tesla has taken ("car as internet device") is far, far superior than the previous norm.
I’m not sure why so many are so quick to conflate iterative change (a good thing) with stupid change for no reason that makes the act of controlling key features of the car more difficult than they used to be (a bad thing).

They are not the same. We can celebrate the benefits of one while still criticizing the other for being stupid.

Doing UI/UX right is really really hard. Tesla has been better than most automakers on the whole. But some of their changes are just plain dumb, bad design. It does nobody any favors to pretend otherwise.

I’m not sure why so many are so quick to conflate iterative change (a good thing) with stupid change for no reason that makes the act of controlling key features of the car more difficult than they used to be (a bad thing).

They are not the same. We can celebrate the benefits of one while still criticizing the other for being stupid.

Doing UI/UX right is really really hard. Tesla has been better than most automakers on the whole. But some of their changes are just plain dumb, bad design. It does nobody any favors to pretend otherwise.
Fair point. But this is the first (ish) release of a pretty big change of software infrastructure. The 10.x stack it replaced was full of quirks and a million concessions based on certain design choices and limitations which don't always apply now. Better to start with a clean slate before determining how to solve the deeper issues that users are reporting -- even if on the surface they say e.g. "I want to swipe to see the tire pressure".

Reactions: Canyonero
The new Tesla V11 OS changes are significantly less confusing / frustrating than the Microsoft Windows 7 to Windows 10 which almost everybody has now forgotten about. The Windows 10 to Windows 11 OS changes created a lot of complaints which subside with use of the new OS.
The difference is with Windows or Apple you're not driving 65 mph while trying to figure things out and have your eyes where they shouldn't be. It's apparent that the UI designers are sitting at their desks and have never been in a moving car while working on this stuff.

On a positive note. My 2017 with MCU2 seems to perform way better in transition from Netflix back or games back. The speed in which it closes and everything comes back is no longer this oh crap how long until I can move or is it going to crash.

Hopefully that is not short lived.

Browser is still worthless though, geez.

I freaking hate V11. Literally zero actual improvements for our cars.

They even removed the zoom +/- icons from the map view so there is no way to set a zoom level on the map, or maybe I'm too stupid to find it.

Came back from a long-ish road trip and although I am used to it I hate it.

I tried using voice commands for stuff and it's laughably bad too. I shouldn't have to struggle this much to turn the passenger seat heater to the middle setting.

Interface changes are part of the experience of owning a Tesla. It has almost no physical buttons and everything is controlled via the main screen interface. This is what makes it possible to make changes as desired by the Tesla design team with the possibilities being almost infinite. It is not possible to design something everyone will like, there will always be people who are going to complain for something that on the other hand is praised by another. Allowing a user to completely customize is not a good idea as my Tesla would be completely different than my wife's or yours and locating controls would be an issue when swapping cars or getting into a rental unit.

How do people manage when they do not like the latest and greatest OS whether it be on computers or smart phones? Sure you do not need to upgrade but you will be left in the dark not long after as no more work/upgrading is being done on the latter. Older units will unfortunately eventually get left out as increased processing power is required. This is one area I would like to see upgradable on all their cars at a reasonable price.

Bottom line is a Tesla is basically a computer on wheels. If you do not like interface changes/improvements which will happen again and again, maybe one should be looking at another brand with more physical buttons. Some of the new EV's look like "normal" cars in the fixed button department which may be a more suitable choice for some.

My wife in in that category, she hates it when they change the os on her phone or our home computer and she hates the new interface, not because it is bad, just because she was used to the old and does not want to learn the new. Give it another month or so and she will not be complaining whatsoever just like her phone or computer.

Most issues people are having is because of change however there are some that have legitimate gripes which are probably going to be addressed in future updates. This is a completely new interface, give Tesla some time to listen, learn and change for the better. A little patience is all that is required for now.

One of the horrible “improvements” for me is the removal of STOP button during easy entry profile change.

I sometimes take both my kids in the car in their car seats. In the past, as soon as I hit park or open the door, the easy entry profile would be automatically selected. It usually sends the seat back too much and would almost be very close to the little one behind me. Fortunately there was a large red software stop button to halt this profile change temporarily. That button is gone in V11 or I haven’t figured out how to make it show up consistently

Little one refuses to get inside the car now. 😓

• Love
Reactions: Cheburashka
When I got my car in 2013, the interface was fairly intuitive. I didn't have to study it. Features were easy to find and use.
That's how an interface should be designed.
They even removed the zoom +/- icons from the map view so there is no way to set a zoom level on the map, or maybe I'm too stupid to find it.
You should still be able to "pinch" to zoom in and out.

But you will also likely rotate the map at the same time. There used to be an icon that popped up when the map was not North up (my preference) but but Tesla removed that years ago. If I've scrolled to a destination and zoom in/rotate, there's no way to reset orientation without returning to the car's location first.

Interface changes are part of the experience of owning a Tesla. It has almost no physical buttons and everything is controlled via the main screen interface.
Which is precisely why thoughtful and deliberate UI/UX design is so critically important.

This update is hot garbage. It’s objectively bad UI. Defending it because “things change” is disingenuous at best.

One of the horrible “improvements” for me is the removal of STOP button during easy entry profile change.

I sometimes take both my kids in the car in their car seats. In the past, as soon as I hit park or open the door, the easy entry profile would be automatically selected. It usually sends the seat back too much and would almost be very close to the little one behind me. Fortunately there was a large red software stop button to halt this profile change temporarily. That button is gone in V11 or I haven’t figured out how to make it show up consistently

Little one refuses to get inside the car now. 😓

Yes I absolutely hate this too. My wife's keys are usually in the car and I just hit that button to stop the seat. Unclear what the purpose was of removing the button.

Now you have to reach down on the actual seat to stop it.

When I got my car in 2013, the interface was fairly intuitive. I didn't have to study it. Features were easy to find and use.
That's how an interface should be designed.

You should still be able to "pinch" to zoom in and out.

But you will also likely rotate the map at the same time. There used to be an icon that popped up when the map was not North up (my preference) but but Tesla removed that years ago. If I've scrolled to a destination and zoom in/rotate, there's no way to reset orientation without returning to the car's location first.

Well yeah the problem is pinching doesn't actually zoom the map on the centered car and the map no longer dynamically updates after you pinch.

>>...as desired by the Tesla design team....<<

And there's the problem in seven words!
Sitting in front of a large UHD monitor in a stable office you can design away to your heart's content regardless of the USER's experience.
And change it all next week so the poor b****r gets in HIS car and can't find anything.

Reactions: Cheburashka
I noticed tapping the "North" icon which is now on the left side of the screen instead of the right (which I like since it is now closer to me) re-centers the map on the car.

As everyone else, still trying to get used to it.

Yea but I think it resets the zoom level to whatever the default is.. so there is no way to set a zoom level that follows the car any more?

• Informative
Reactions: KalJoMoS
Yea but I think it resets the zoom level to whatever the default is.. so there is no way to set a zoom level that follows the car any more?
I've been testing that to determine how it actually works. When the car is moving I believe you can pinch / expand to change the zoom level and then hit the Compass icon to retain setting. However, the strange thing is that when I was sitting at a stoplight changing the zoom level, the Compass button would reset to some default. The behavior is a bit inconsistent. I also noticed that if you zoom in enough, the Supercharger icons suddenly appear on map.

I also noticed that if you zoom in enough, the Supercharger icons suddenly appear on map.
I noticed this too. This is one where I kinda appreciate or at least understand the intent - zoom out too far on the map in California and you couldn’t see anything at all but a sea of red pins. But they went HARD the other direction, where now you have to be so zoomed in for the pins to appear that it’s useless unless you already know the charger is there and are a thousand feet from it.

Dumb.