Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

the most important thing on the 17" display

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

scottm

Legacy account
Jun 13, 2014
Canada
Quiz: What does Tesla think to be the most important piece of information on the 17" display?

Hint #1: Put the display into cleaning mode.

Hint #2: It depends on direction of travel.

Answer: The most important piece of information is the passenger airbag status, when driving forward. And when driving backwards, the rear view camera forces it way onto the display even when on cleaning mode. (But interestingly, the reverse guidelines do not appear).

Only one fact migrates from the center console to the dash, when driving forward with cleaning mode on.
My guess is there is a regulatory requirement to always show passenger airbag status.
IMG-20150629-00682.jpg

And when backing up, the rear view camera pops up over top of cleaning mode.
Probably also a regulatory requirement, as all cars must now have rear view cameras by some certain date.
IMG-20150629-00683.jpg

Your day is now enriched knowing this!

But more importantly why the hell do you listen to FM radio in your Tesla!

A typical urbanite response. :cool:

Not everyone who owns a Tesla lives in the concrete jungles. Some of us live in the woods. Since FM radio is a lot lower frequency and much higher power than cell signals, there are times when FM radio is all you get among the trees— no internet!

I wish Tesla would understand this better and improve the caching system for the Google Map info. We travel outside cell coverage quite often, both in Canada and in the U.S.

Yes, the airbag status must be displayed somewhere, always. Someone had pointed this out previously - quite humorous, of all the things, but a regulation is a regulation! (I think someone had noted another case - during a reboot, maybe? I forget.)