Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The most unhappy place on Earth?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

TLLMRRJ

Dec 19, 2019
Houston
Are this and other Model S forums the most unhappy car forums on Earth?

As a car nut that has spent way too much of his life on many different car forums, the Model S forum seems to be far and away a collection of the most unhappy owners I have ever experienced, and it doesn’t seem like an issue with the owners themselves. And don’t get me wrong, there are lots of unhappy owners on all car forums, but this one takes the cake.

After a very unpleasant buying experience with my Model S, and then service appointments to fix manufacturing issues that made me feel like I got scammed of my life savings by some dude in Nigeria, and then price drop after price drop to make me feel like my car has no value, I keep coming back here in hopes of positive things to make me feel better about one of the worst and expensive mistakes in my life, but I always leave feeling even worse.

Am I the only one that feels that way? What’s the cure?

Selling the car is not an option since I have taken a $40-50k depreciation in the last 4 months, so I am in it for the long haul.

Last edited:
Generally, people that are happy don't put much effort into letting everyone know how happy they are and go about their day focusing on things that do need attention. On the flip side of that, people that are upset / <insert any other adjective here>, tend to express their opinions on the matter more openly. Your post is a perfect example of this; the opening salvo is about negativity and very little positivity.

I'm not judging either way, could care less what other people think in general, just providing an observation.

Yeah, I eluded to exactly what you just expressed in my original post.

I am just observing that the Model S seems to be a lot worse in that regard.

Maybe there needs to a subforum of only positive thoughts about the Model S and the mods can move any negative ones to the “normal” forum folder.😅

• Funny
Reactions: Sam1 and byeLT4
Customer Service (or lack thereof in many instances), cars that are heavily dependent on software, and the extreme comparative repair costs for EV subsystems vs ICE have many threads starting with a problem.
That’s the nature of any automotive forum. We also own a Leaf and while the volume of traffic is orders of magnitude less than here, the percentage of problem/negative posts is just as high, if not higher.
With ICE forums, the balance comes with a much higher volume of posts about tuning, mods, pictures, etc., things folks enjoy about their car.

I dont read the model S subforums that often but there is no shortage of "negative feedback" in the subforums I do read heavily (model 3 / Y). Like most things though, I think this depends on the lens one decides to look through when viewing, or how worked up someone wants to get at talking about things that are outside of their control.

Reactions: zoomer0056
Customer Service (or lack thereof in many instances), cars that are heavily dependent on software, and the extreme comparative repair costs for EV subsystems vs ICE have many threads starting with a problem.
That’s the nature of any automotive forum. We also own a Leaf and while the volume of traffic is orders of magnitude less than here, the percentage of problem/negative posts is just as high, if not higher.
With ICE forums, the balance comes with a much higher volume of posts about tuning, mods, pictures, etc., things folks enjoy about their car.
Agreed, most of the other car forums I'm on are typically people requesting info how to mod specific things, DIYs, photo galleries, suggestions for specific mods. The model S is has less aftermarket support compared to the 3, also there's not much mods outside of cosmetics available. DIY repair type stuff shouldn't be required as much of these cars are still under warranty. There's not much here to post beside regurgitated info from news pages about latest and greatest software features/hardware leaks or people complaining about something.

Since I have owned two Model S, a P86DL and my present Plaid, and driven Coast to coast US in an S70, and long distances in a 2012 S85 I consider myself a trifle more than usually familiar with the quirks of Model S. Others, IMHO notably @wk057 know vastly more than I ever will so mine are purely user comments:
First, from day one every Model S I have driven has been a clear advance over previous ones;
Second, from 2012 to 2017 Tesla service steadily improved in effectiveness and steadily became less personally oriented;
Third, from ~2018 need for service has steadily dropped, while personal interaction has diminished.
Fourth, since my Plaid arrived in September 2021 I am unable to comment on Tesla service because I have had none. That is almost two years with zero service interactions.
Fifth, Software updates have subjectively seemed to be less frequent and easier, with fewer glitches. I will not comment on FSD specific issues since both good and bad are so deeply covered.
Sixth, during my twelve years of Model S experience I have had one (1) need for on road repair. That was on an S70 when I was in Wyoming with the nearest service center was just opening in Denver. Both Tesla service response and solution were stellar, and Denver service center did the repair on a Saturday afternoon so I did not even need to interrupt my trip. That, in 2015 was my ONLY need for unscheduled service. Because I did not own the car Tesla contacted the owner for approval wile I was driving down from Wyoming.
So, that is it for the service side.

Now for the value questions:
People constantly complain or laud resale values. My perspective is built from having owned 53 cars, of which 51 were bought new. I understand car depreciation both personally and professionally. In all those years I have sold three cars at a profit, one an early Honda Accord I sold at a profit because at the time the waiting list in Bahrain, where I bought it, was a year. A colleague offered me a 25% profit if I sold it to him. I di after I had used it one day. The other a BMW 320 I bought it Yemen, was similar except that the buyer made the offer as I was taking delivery so I never actually used the car. The other one was a MercedesBenz 300SEL 6.3 which I bought days after the famous 1973 OPEC crisis and sold years alterfordouble my purchase price. Dumb luck coupled with opportunism on that one. Every other one had actual selling price below the 'official' markets, depreciation usually more than seemed logical. From Ferrari, Porsche, BMW, Tesla, Volvo, Mercedes Benz, Maserati, Peugeot, Fiat, and so on, they've all sold below 'book'.

My belief is that most people really don't realize what actually happens because they buy and sell through dealers, whose expertise is built in large part on deception, including cosmetically large trade in values.
Tesla, however, is WYSIWYG. That suddenly makes it quite explicit and obvious. It feels bad to recognize that depreciation is normally the largest expense in car ownership. Surprise!
What is worse is that Tesla charges MSRP, that is it! Do they do big discounts? Very rarely, although buying an actual demonstrator sometimes does give a good deal. Mostly Tesla just changes the price, openly and loudly. Every other OEM I know anything about has individual customer discounts, Fleet discounts and secretive buyback agreements, dealer incentives not disclosed to consumers plus arcane quota incentives and multiple varieties of loans and lease subvention.

Tesla operates without dealers and openly discloses all their practices, that includes trade in values that are never inflated. Of course, if your trade in has the slightest blemish the value does down while historically dealers would buy blemished Teslas, do a little work and sellout a premium. That does not work for them long term because Tesla does not really support their machinations other than by wholesaling less pristine cars.

So now as prices are going down after a few years of steady rises some of us are unhappy.
I really don't sympathize too much because that is normal. It's only when there are serious shortages that the game works and some of us have come to expect abnormal positive results.

Personally I'd like to have less depreciation on my pristine, protective-filmed, always garaged, cover-protected Plaid. So would we all. It is part fo the price of a superb vehicle.

So, those who think this somehow unfair are also rapidly thinking up service and support complaints. It is always thus...

After a very unpleasant buying experience with my Model S, and then service appointments to fix manufacturing issues that made me feel like I got scammed of my life savings by some dude in Nigeria, and then price drop after price drop to make me feel like my car has no value, I keep coming back here in hopes of positive things to make me feel better about one of the worst and expensive mistakes in my life, but I always leave feeling even worse.
I think you answered your own question, at least for you anyway. My Feb 2022 MSLR is the best car I've ever owned. Best buying experience ever. No more ICE or stealerships for me ... ever again. Not just because of the TMC community, but other life experiences too, I've learned to be as much a DIYer as possible.

Last edited:
Reactions: drdumont
I am so happy with both of our Model S. Every day. But I don't write about it often, who wants to hear about how much I really like my car?

OOOOOOh! It was an amazing day. The door handles popped out as I walked near. I got in. Stepped on the pedal. Put it into drive. I can go faster than every other car from the stoplight, without even trying. The air suspension kept my car nice and stable, even over the big dip in the road near my house. The stereo is amazing, I listened to all of the Morgan Wallen essentials songs from Apple Music - streamed to my car! Felt cute. Rolled down all the windows. Turned the stereo to 10. Now everyone is going to listen to Morgan Wallen whether they want to or not. I hope they're still doing now, what I was doing I then. Got a little cold so I turned on the seat heater and heated steering wheel. I got to my destination. Pressed the stalk button to put it in park. Opened the door. Walked away with a smile on my face. The End.

I'm on my 3rd MS and 2nd MX since Q1 2014. The cars have become amazing. Service, definely WAY downhill. I've know my SA since 2014, she's great, but the guys doing the work. Suck. 9/10 times they touch the car now, they either don't fix the issue or break something else, or BOTH.
There's only ONE thing that cures my Ails. Mash the acclerator on my plaid. It makes all the vibrations and service issues disappear.
j/k
Over all the cars have improved and service declined. Hopefully soon, service will catch up and I will continue to believe these are the best cars ever.

I am so happy with both of our Model S. Every day. But I don't write about it often, who wants to hear about how much I really like my car?

OOOOOOh! It was an amazing day. The door handles popped out as I walked near. I got in. Stepped on the pedal. Put it into drive. I can go faster than every other car from the stoplight, without even trying. The air suspension kept my car nice and stable, even over the big dip in the road near my house. The stereo is amazing, I listened to all of the Morgan Wallen essentials songs from Apple Music - streamed to my car! Felt cute. Rolled down all the windows. Turned the stereo to 10. Now everyone is going to listen to Morgan Wallen whether they want to or not. I hope they're still doing now, what I was doing I then. Got a little cold so I turned on the seat heater and heated steering wheel. I got to my destination. Pressed the stalk button to put it in park. Opened the door. Walked away with a smile on my face. The End.
Actually a few of these stories every once in a while do this old heart good.
I am Jonesing for an S. I love my 3, but...
Since I just retired, I have to see where the financial water level settles. I'll have to use S3XY buttons for the horn and perhaps "gear shifting", but now that a wheel is available again, I see no deal breakers on the horizon.
Thanks for the good vibes.

Reactions: kingkong5
Well, I love mine! Doesn't mean I won't critique it though.. my delivery experience was the worst car delivery I have ever had. Worse than my other two Tesla cars.

I also enjoy the EAP. Ever had some jerk park too close to your car? summoning the car is amazing. The lane change is nice too. I wish the auto-park would come up more... but that is ok.

Leaving Corvettes in your dust is fun :) Accidentally hitting ~150mph is not lol

Reactions: drdumont
"The most unhappy place on Earth?" Really? I was thinking you were talking about Human Right or something of that nature....

About the Model S, I think this is the most beautiful of all the models, in particular the new dash board and rear light design are great.
I always get a good smile when looking at the Model S (and also Model 3, not too much X and y who have less nicer proportions, IMO).
Since you moved from a Model 3 and Y to Model S, does the Air suspension really makes a big difference?
Otherwise would you consider any alternative like Lucid, MB, Porsche.... I think there will be always drawbacks or pitfalls.

About price drop, this was expected because the MS price almost double from the previous $69,420 with no real extra manufacturing cost justification.
I suspect price will increase also for the coming Model 3 and Y facelift...

Did you have any mechanical expenses with your Teslas?
I think this is the major great point in my case since I never had any oil change or any thing to do with my tesla for the last four years.

Best seems to keep your Model S as long as possible, price will certainly goes up again, and enjoy it

Last edited: