TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

The Musk & JB show visits Edison Electric Institute 2015 Conference

Discussion in 'News' started by Bangor Bob, Jun 12, 2015.

1. Bangor Bob

Bangor Bob Member

#1 Bangor Bob, Jun 12, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2015
    Some new information within:

Elon Musk and JB Straubel share their vision on energy (2015) - YouTube

JB - "We would be disappointed if battery prices weren't in the... $100 range by the end of the decade."

Elon calls LA Times "*******s" at about 52 minutes, says article was "not journalism" and a "disgrace to the LA Times."

Overview:
    00:00. Why SpaceX and Tesla
    02:10. Communalities between SpaceX and Tesla
    05:25. Company (meeting) culture
    12:05. Disruption & sustainable energy
    17:22. Nuclear vs. solar
    19:35. Future of electric
    22:40. Supercharger explained
    31:30. EV needs for success
    34:40. Battery manufacturing
    36:35. Powerwall
    36:35. Powerwall
    42:00. Powerpack benefit for the utilities sector
    49:05. Elon blasts the L.A. Times - calls them *******s (52:08)
    53:17. Toys for the wealthy
    59:10. Future projects

2. Nicoletta

Nicoletta Member

I thought the stuff about the meeting culture in the beginning was really interesting. The "rules" Elon uses for his meetings make a lot of sense, but unfortunately are not used by the majority of companies, at least in my experience.

3. gavine

gavine Petrol Head turned EV Enthusiast

Right. Try getting up and leaving in the middle of your next meeting. Leon looked (and sounded) tired, didn't he?

4. jdbob

jdbob Member

The whistling sound from the Elon's microphone is pretty painful to listen to.

5. Cosmacelf

Cosmacelf Active Member

Well, that was an hour of my life I won't ever get back. Bad interviewer, bad responses, way too general. What a wasted opportunity all around.

6. Jeff N

Jeff N Active Member

I thought it was interested that Straubel stated he would be disappointed if cell costs haven't fallen to around $100 per kWh by around 2020. Maybe he or Musk have said that before but that low of a price by 2020 was news to me. Typical industry estimates seem to be around $150-200 or higher for around 2020.

7. Bangor Bob

Bangor Bob Member

I think that is news, we've never heard them talk about prices that low that soon.

$100/kWh is the holy-grail price where even economy uncompromised EV's are price-competitive without subsidy and ignoring TCO against gas vehicles. Heck, $250/kWh for the Powerpack is set to change the utility and commercial landscape today, and now they're talking about being at a cost that's 2-1/2 times cheaper in 5 years?

They're going to need a couple more Gigafactories, and the other auto manufacturers? Well, I'm not sure what's going to happen to them, but odds are it won't be pretty...

8. Vger

Vger Active Member

Elon stated it (with JB concurring) on the Q2 or Q3 earnings call last year. It is interesting how the public psyche needs to hear unexpected things like this numerous times before it sinks in. Visionaries like Elon have to live among a lot of doubt and disbelief and ignorance, and still press on.

9. Chris TX

Chris TX Active Member

Does anyone have the transcript from this? JB said the Model 3 was going to be a sedan AND a crossover at this event.