Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The Neuralink Master Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have initiated this thread to be the initial catch-all for discussions involving Mr Musk's new venture, Neuralink. In short order, we hope, we'll have a permanent sub-site for Neuralink.

At the outset, we'll most strongly suggest (from Lord Vetinari's Dictionary: see "DO") that before chiming in, all participants read Tim Urban's "Waitbutwhy" blog post regarding same: Neuralink and the Brain's Magical Future - Wait But Why

My first impression from that exercise is that when considering Neuralink, I had to make a comparison with Tesla Inc. and with SpaceX.

As follows:

Aaaww, aren't they cuuute!

This thread started six years ago today with the unveiling of the idea of the Wizard Hat. Elon said they hoped to bring to market something in four years that would help with certain severe brain injuries.

Whoops.

Let's not forget just two months ago Reuters was implying it'd be difficult for Neuralink to get FDA human trial approval:

A year after the rejection, Neuralink is still working through the agency’s concerns. Three staffers said they were skeptical the company could quickly resolve the issues – despite Musk’s latest prediction at a Nov. 30 presentation that the company would secure FDA human-trial approval this spring.
So guess what, Elon Musk's timeline is more or less correct.

The rejection also raises the stakes and the difficulty of the company’s subsequent requests for trial approval, the experts said.
“Everybody in the industry was saying: ‘Oh my God, they’re going to run straight into a brick wall,’” Ludwig said of Musk’s bid for FDA approval.
Oh, well...

Not a new funding round, just secondary sales of stock, value company at $5B.