Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The new $39,000 Kia Niro EV has ventilated seats

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You forgot the “Wave” model has: Apple car play, heads up display, onboard power generator to charge other stuff and auto summons (plus ventilation seats). NO FRUNK, only a power tailgate for storage.

A completely different category than a Tesla model Y or 3. Much smaller than a Y (10” In length). Front wheel drive only, 64.8 kWh battery and Slower battery charging times. Has a heat pump too (the Mache and ID.4 don’t).

However, if they rework the IRA a bill for EV credits and it qualified for $7,500 - it would be a mid-30’s to $40k ev with a 10 year warranty.

Competition is a good thing for all, promotes innovation.

I am pretty sure KIA doesnt have the other stuff that costs more to develop, ie superior battery management system, the whole mapping superchargers ecosystem at your fingertips, just this is already costly to implement, and often taken for granted. Having such convenience vs ones have to download N number of apps and account sign-ups, are priceless.

Reactions: kessel_run
To paraphrase my favorite Ferenghi, a shitty car with features is still a shitty car.
I am pretty sure KIA doesnt have the other stuff that costs more to develop, ie superior battery management system, the whole mapping superchargers ecosystem at your fingertips, just this is already costly to implement, and often taken for granted. Having such convenience vs ones have to download N number of apps and account sign-ups, are priceless.
Kia/Hyundai make some very good cars. I haven't driven the Niro, Ioniq or EV6 but they've generally gotten very positive reviews. The original poster gave several areas in which the Kia beats a Tesla so just saying "yeah, well, your car is a piece of dung!" Isn't a very effective argument.

Tesla's supercharger network and the way it seamlessly integrates with the nav system is clearly one of the biggest benefits. Likewise, Tesla has been in the EV market longer than almost everyone else and we've seen examples (think Chevy, Ford) of companies that didn't quite get the battery right. I haven't seen any such reports for Kia/Hyundai, though, and many people never take road trips so the supercharger network is of far less benefit for them. If that's the case, what is your argument?

I've had my MY for over 2 years now and only taken it on 2 road trips where I needed to charge along the way. On the second one (Minneapolis to Grand Forks, ND) the NAV system had me charge in Alexandria, MN and then said I could make it all the way to Grand Forks with 15% battery left. As we drove up I29 between Fargo and Grand Forks I saw my estimated battery charge drop to 12....10....8....5% Then got a warning message about potentially not having enough battery to reach my destination. We ended up getting out our cell phones and finding a level 2 charger on PlugShare then spending 45 minutes charging to make sure we'd get to our destination. There was a CCS charger we could have used but there was no CCS adapter available for Tesla at the time. Kind of a big fail for Tesla.

Kia/Hyundai make some very good cars. I haven't driven the Niro, Ioniq or EV6 but they've generally gotten very positive reviews. The original poster gave several areas in which the Kia beats a Tesla so just saying "yeah, well, your car is a piece of dung!" Isn't a very effective argument.

Tesla's supercharger network and the way it seamlessly integrates with the nav system is clearly one of the biggest benefits. Likewise, Tesla has been in the EV market longer than almost everyone else and we've seen examples (think Chevy, Ford) of companies that didn't quite get the battery right. I haven't seen any such reports for Kia/Hyundai, though, and many people never take road trips so the supercharger network is of far less benefit for them. If that's the case, what is your argument?

I've had my MY for over 2 years now and only taken it on 2 road trips where I needed to charge along the way. On the second one (Minneapolis to Grand Forks, ND) the NAV system had me charge in Alexandria, MN and then said I could make it all the way to Grand Forks with 15% battery left. As we drove up I29 between Fargo and Grand Forks I saw my estimated battery charge drop to 12....10....8....5% Then got a warning message about potentially not having enough battery to reach my destination. We ended up getting out our cell phones and finding a level 2 charger on PlugShare then spending 45 minutes charging to make sure we'd get to our destination. There was a CCS charger we could have used but there was no CCS adapter available for Tesla at the time. Kind of a big fail for Tesla.
For that particular road trip you mentioned, if it were to be any other EV, you would have taken at least 50% more time charing combined on 3rd party chargers, making alot more frequent stops, having the option to take at least 1 road trip out of the entire life of the owning that EV is a big deal imo. Of cos some people will never take road trip with the EV, still, paying for more than half the price to relinquish that option plus all the advancement under the hood is just absurdity.

KIA EV sales are declining! Not bashing but they have to offer things that Tesla isn’t offering to try and gain market share. Tesla is ahead and has the experience. Everyone is playing catch up though trial and error.

Competition is good for all. More innovation pushes other to make things better. BlackBerry was the 1st smart phone, then Apple and Android come to the party many years later.

Wish the USA would have settled on one plug type for all EV charging like the EU did. That would make things so much easier for charging, adoption and scaling in the years to come.

Competition is good for all. More innovation pushes other to make things better. BlackBerry was the 1st smart phone, then Apple and Android come to the party many years later.

Wish the USA would have settled on one plug type for all EV charging like the EU did. That would make things so much easier for charging, adoption and scaling in the years to come.
Yes, I agree, Tesla definitely should have fell in-line with the USA standard but unfortunately it was set after Tesla already designed their own.

I still think it’s ridiculous Tesla doesn’t have a 360 camera or ventilated seats, there’s truly no excuse for it at this price point

Yes, I agree, Tesla definitely should have fell in-line with the USA standard but unfortunately it was set after Tesla already designed their own.

I still think it’s ridiculous Tesla doesn’t have a 360 camera or ventilated seats, there’s truly no excuse for it at this price point

Yep. I think teslas charge port, communication and charge stations are the leader - would of been great to standardize on that plus, have them sell/license all the stuff to the rest of the mfgs who make EV’s. That could be a HUGE revenue stream for Tesla if that happens one day.

You have your priorities, I have mine.

9998A875-3EC7-4E7B-A0FE-E9E19A38EE0E.jpeg

You have your priorities, I have mine.

View attachment 871759

all these telsa doesn't have posts are so tiring and ridiculous. everyone has a choice, if you bought a tesla you chose it, talk about why chose it, don't whine about what it doesn't have. there was obviously something about it that made you elect to buy it. if it had everything it would cost more