Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The New Chevy Bolt vs Tesla Model 3: Which is better EV?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why? The Bolt was nothing more than a concept car a year ago. We know more about the Model 3 than we did the Bolt at a similar time before production.
I want to have some aftermarket tires made for my M3 before they stop making them. I need offsets and lug spacing. There are a few other things I would like to price out, however I can't because I don't have the specs of the car.

I was considering buying the Bolt (see post #26 in this thread), but after looking at the length of Bolt vs. Model ≡, my "will to live" eliminates the Bolt. From what I've found the ≡ will have a length of 184 inches...20 inches longer than Bolt. I know the Bolt is designed for safety but when I think about what's in front of the firewall in the Bolt and where it goes in a collision vs. the frunk...no contest.

I currently drive a LEAF and it's 11 inches longer (than the Bolt), I don't want to take something that much smaller on the freeway.

• Informative
Reactions: GSP
I was considering buying the Bolt (see post #26 in this thread), but after looking at the length of Bolt vs. Model ≡, my "will to live" eliminates the Bolt. From what I've found the ≡ will have a length of 184 inches...20 inches longer than Bolt. I know the Bolt is designed for safety but when I think about what's in front of the firewall in the Bolt and where it goes in a collision vs. the frunk...no contest.

I currently drive a LEAF and it's 11 inches longer (than the Bolt), I don't want to take something that much smaller on the freeway.

I think your concerns about crash safety are a bit overblown. GM vehicles have tested very well in gov't crashing testing recently...the 2017 Volt just received the IIHS's top rating, in fact. 2017 Chevrolet Volt Earns IIHS Top Safety Pick+ Award

GM actually tweaked their crash testing simulation programs to account for the Bolt's all-new platform, so I think they took crash test safety quite seriously when designing the Bolt.

I drive a Leaf too, and wow I didn't realize the Bolt was even smaller.

I think your concerns about crash safety are a bit overblown. GM vehicles have tested very well in gov't crashing testing recently...the 2017 Volt just received the IIHS's top rating, in fact. 2017 Chevrolet Volt Earns IIHS Top Safety Pick+ Award

GM actually tweaked their crash testing simulation programs to account for the Bolt's all-new platform, so I think they took crash test safety quite seriously when designing the Bolt.
I'm also concerned about safety. If I had 2 cars in front of me and one was rated more than the other I would choose the safer car. Both cars may pass their safety ratings, but one is indeed safer than the other. I believe the m3 will be safer than the Bolt.

I wish I knew which way the crash test testing simulations tweak happened.

For example: For the MS - They had to create a way to test the MS because they couldn't roll it over. They had to bring in a device that forced the MS to rollover and measure results because they couldn't roll it over.

Last edited:
I'm also concerned about safety. If I had 2 cars in front of me and one was rated more than the other I would choose the safer car. Both cars may pass their safety ratings, but one is indeed safer than the other. I believe the m3 will be safer than the Bolt.

We'll have to just wait and see on that one.

btw, if you were considering a GM vehicle in Latin America, you may have valid concerns. The Spark-equivalent Chevy Beat sold in Mexico (and built in India) scored a 0 in their crash testing. :eek: India-Made Chevrolet Beat Earns Zero Stars In Latin NCAP Testing: Video

Crazy there are still countries out there that haven't made airbags mandatory features.

• Funny
Reactions: Red Sage

The Volt is 16 inches longer than Bolt. I'm sure they designed it well but crash safety is one case (my opinion) where size matters. I'm not saying a small car can't be safer than a (badly designed) larger car, but I would rather be in a well designed bigger car than a well designed smaller car.

Last edited:
Reactions: GSP
We'll have to just wait and see on that one.

btw, if you were considering a GM vehicle in Latin America, you may have valid concerns. The Spark-equivalent Chevy Beat sold in Mexico (and built in India) scored a 0 in their crash testing. :eek: India-Made Chevrolet Beat Earns Zero Stars In Latin NCAP Testing: Video

Crazy there are still countries out there that haven't made airbags mandatory features.

It's always been a touchy subject whether low income folk should be allowed to buy stripped cars like in the old days.

The pricing on cars in India is amazing. $6k cars. They would never make NA/Euro/Japanese specs though.

Personally, I believe that helping the low income folk means cutting corners on the cars. Then they can get better jobs, and afford better cars.

IIHS only matters to insurance adjusters. What are the results from NHTSA...?

It's always been a touchy subject whether low income folk should be allowed to buy stripped cars like in the old days.

The pricing on cars in India is amazing. $6k cars. They would never make NA/Euro/Japanese specs though.

Personally, I believe that helping the low income folk means cutting corners on the cars. Then they can get better jobs, and afford better cars.
A new car that's not quite up to par on current safety standards is still probably better than most 20+ year old cars that most lower income folks drive. I know this from my own experience!

Reactions: Red Sage
Personally,
I don't believe Chevy wanted to make the bolt. I believe they made it for the numbers. I believe it helps GM with its MPG per car produced. EV's rate extremely high in MPG's and the Bolt will help them with their ICE MPG numbers. The same person that is promoting the Bolt is the same person that is promoting the new Camaro...which dropped its MPG in trade for performance. This person's MPG rating on his promotion line skyrocketed. As the GM spokes person told California Gov. Jerry Brown - we are definitely going to limit the number of Bolts produced and are not interested at all in a public charging infrastructure. He went on to say that GM produces approx. 200K cars per month and are doing just fine with their numbers as they are. His closing remarks - We wanted to show the world that for us - its easy. We can make any car.

Although GM may not have truly made the Bolt with all of their own resources......Their Chevy logo is on the front.

However, when it comes down to it - I don't care - I'm still in line for my M3.

Last edited:
I have always thought the IIHS was a treasure trove of data, though you do have to keep their biases in mind.
Yes. I just found it rather interesting that particular 'treasure trove' does not include any Tesla Motors products for comparison. I'll take another look, in case that has changed in the last few months... '...Subaru, Suzuki, Toyota, Volkswagen, Volvo...' Yup! No mention of Tesla testing on their site whatsoever, though they do list them elsewhere. But both NHTSA (National Highway Traffic Safety Administration) and Euro NCAP (European New Car Assessment Programme) have them covered in full.

OK, I've been waiting for an over 200 mile range DECENT EV for several years. I never liked the Leaf and my wife said she would leave me if I bought one!
I think the choice of EVs, and right now there are only two Tesla 3 and GM Bolt that I would consider, comes down to needs and specific criteria.
First, I don't know how many of you are grid independent but I am, so much so that my current electric bill is minus several hundred dollars.
So here's my criteria:
1. Because I live in the Catskills of NY, the closest Tesla dealer is about 130 miles away. So if I need service what do I do? GM is 15 miles away.
2. Tesla may modify the rear of the 3 so it has a bigger opening but they may not, right now I'd rather have a hatchback.
3. I don't need room for 5 people, it's mostly just the two of us but we do buy bulk foods in 50 lb. bags.
4. I don't need FC stations, We're retired we rarely take trips over 150 miles and besides I have over 10Kw of PV and should have wind and microhydro in by next year. I' m happy to charge at home for 99% of the time.
5. We don't use the car enough to justify the 'X' but it's a nice car.
6. I've heard Tesla body work is costly to repair.

You can see I'm leaning towards the Bolt but I haven't driven either one yet. If I lived in a major city with a Tesla repair shop I might have different views but this is an important issue for us along with the possible high cost of insurance.

I'm open to all points of view but let's keep open minds, they'll likely both be very good cars.

Rob

The Tesla is a better EV because of the Supercharger network and Autopilot, IMO. The Bolt won't even have TACC so it won't be on my radar (no pun) until that changes.

Anybody who understands Teslas mission is applauding this. It seems in only a few years there will be a lot of fully electric cars to choose from. This is only because of Tesla and it is really quite an amazing achievement by Tesla and Musk. The base question - which car is better - is not really that important to me, but yes, I would choose the Tesla. But I still hope the Bolt will be a great success.
Agree about the oft-quoted Tesla mission. The more EVs on the road, the better. I also hope many Bolts are sold.
OK, I've been waiting for an over 200 mile range DECENT EV for several years. I never liked the Leaf and my wife said she would leave me if I bought one!
I think the choice of EVs, and right now there are only two Tesla 3 and GM Bolt that I would consider, comes down to needs and specific criteria.
First, I don't know how many of you are grid independent but I am, so much so that my current electric bill is minus several hundred dollars.
So here's my criteria:
1. Because I live in the Catskills of NY, the closest Tesla dealer is about 130 miles away. So if I need service what do I do? GM is 15 miles away.
2. Tesla may modify the rear of the 3 so it has a bigger opening but they may not, right now I'd rather have a hatchback.
3. I don't need room for 5 people, it's mostly just the two of us but we do buy bulk foods in 50 lb. bags.
4. I don't need FC stations, We're retired we rarely take trips over 150 miles and besides I have over 10Kw of PV and should have wind and microhydro in by next year. I' m happy to charge at home for 99% of the time.
5. We don't use the car enough to justify the 'X' but it's a nice car.
6. I've heard Tesla body work is costly to repair.

You can see I'm leaning towards the Bolt but I haven't driven either one yet. If I lived in a major city with a Tesla repair shop I might have different views but this is an important issue for us along with the possible high cost of insurance.

I'm open to all points of view but let's keep open minds, they'll likely both be very good cars.

Rob
Given your circumstances, it appears that the Bolt is the better EV for you.

If you do not already have a M3 reservation, that alone may be the deciding factor since a M3 reserved today is I imagine years away from delivery. That, or a Model S.
Well, two years, anyway. I expect that Tesla Motors is probably going to want US Deliveries of new orders to take no more than three months by October 2018. Thus, an order made during October 2018 would be Delivered by January 2019 to most North American locations, and possibly another three months at most to other territories.